Why some people hate pocket knives

A place to watch or share knife related videos.
Bladesman

Why some people hate pocket knives

Post by Bladesman »

On this forum we all love pocket knives. However there are people out there who don’t. Here are the reasons why

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Why some people hate pocket knives

Post by philco »

Bladesman I just watched the video in this link. I think the public perception of those who carry a pocket knife varies widely based on location. I live in Kentucky in the US. Here it's a common sight to see the pocket clip of a knife hanging out of a guys pocket. No one seems shocked or troubled when they see this or when they see someone actually using their knife to cut something.

Based on you accent, I wonder if you are from the U.K. My understanding is that knife laws there are much stricter than most places here in the U.S. I've also been given to think that the U.K. media has spewed out a tremendous amount of negative publicity regarding knives and so called "knife crime". No doubt that has had a major influence on public perception of what is acceptable.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

philco wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:38 am Bladesman I just watched the video in this link. I think the public perception of those who carry a pocket knife varies widely based on location. I live in Kentucky in the US. Here it's a common sight to see the pocket clip of a knife hanging out of a guys pocket. No one seems shocked or troubled when they see this or when they see someone actually using their knife to cut something.

Based on you accent, I wonder if you are from the U.K. My understanding is that knife laws there are much stricter than most places here in the U.S. I've also been given to think that the U.K. media has spewed out a tremendous amount of negative publicity regarding knives and so called "knife crime". No doubt that has had a major influence on public perception of what is acceptable.
Also Phil, we over here have become an urbanised society, i presume the same has happened in your country, and with that people drift away from what was the way we used to live. We also have a lot of knife crime in the City where i live, and across the country. You mention pocket knife to most people and they think you are some kind of criminal. We are not allowed to carry over here, i do, but don't if i am travelling on public transport, or going to a crowded or popular location, which i rarely do these days. Have a good weekend. ::tu::
catspa

Post by catspa »

I wonder if the same people hate cars because of drunk driving, or blame pens for bank fraud.

I don’t know anyone personally that hates pocketknives, but I know a few who don’t carry one and ask to borrow mine sometimes. Slightly less irrational.

Parker
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

cudgee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:44 am Also Phil, we over here have become an urbanised society, i presume the same has happened in your country, and with that people drift away from what was the way we used to live. We also have a lot of knife crime in the City where i live, and across the country. You mention pocket knife to most people and they think you are some kind of criminal. We are not allowed to carry over here, i do, but don't if i am travelling on public transport, or going to a crowded or popular location, which i rarely do these days. Have a good weekend. ::tu::
Well, Cudgee, tell me mate... ::paranoid:: What ever happened to the Aussie that walks around fearless with his EDC and states “that’s not a knife that's a knife” when being accosted by armed hoodlums? What has happened to the land down under? ::shrug::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:56 am
cudgee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:44 am Also Phil, we over here have become an urbanised society, i presume the same has happened in your country, and with that people drift away from what was the way we used to live. We also have a lot of knife crime in the City where i live, and across the country. You mention pocket knife to most people and they think you are some kind of criminal. We are not allowed to carry over here, i do, but don't if i am travelling on public transport, or going to a crowded or popular location, which i rarely do these days. Have a good weekend. ::tu::
Well, Cudgee, tell me mate... ::paranoid:: What ever happened to the Aussie that walks around fearless with his EDC and states “that’s not a knife that's a knife” when being accosted by armed hoodlums? What has happened to the land down under? ::shrug::
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes my friend, movies don't always replicate real life. ::tu::
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

catspa wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:54 am I wonder if the same people hate cars because of drunk driving, or blame pens for bank fraud.

Parker
I think if we look at the way the news is feed to us by the media there is an attempt to shape a narrative; Weapons are bad! Personal defense is bad, owning, carrying a gun is bad. All weapons in an honest person's possession are bad ::paranoid:: and the same goes for a knife. Uninformed people are subject to this 24/7 and they start to see even a pocketknife as a "dangerous weapon".

I experience this a few weeks ago I went into a post office and had to cut some tape for a label at the counter. I pulled out a pocketknife to cut the tape and the clerk shouted, "Please put the weapon away!" I said "What?" He said weapons were not allowed in government buildings... ::facepalm::
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

cudgee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:58 am
cudgee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:44 am
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes my friend, movies don't always replicate real life. ::tu::

:oops: Opps! :oops: So... you have NEVER made a water buffalo blocking a road in the bush lay down and go to sleep by rubbing it's face and starring in it's eyes? :x What a disappointment :x

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:39 am

:oops: Opps! :oops: So... you have NEVER made a water buffalo blocking a road in the bush lay down and go to sleep by rubbing it's face and starring in it's eyes? :x What a disappointment :x
I have done it, but not for a while. :lol: :lol: :lol:
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

I make sure I got my knife afore my wallet & keys !!!
And cudgee, we ain't all urbanized, it's 22 miles for me to the closes grocery or drug store
and got one neighbor bout 3/4 mile away, mean ass desert between us
And GSPTOPDOG, I carried a knife since 5th grade and ain't never had a problem, and now 70 yrs old
There may be a lot wrong, and right....
but thank you George Washington for the Republic of The United States of America !!!
Proud to be a part of it !!!

Stag
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If knives are unpopular in your area it's largely due to perception created by the pop culture in your area. Locales having high rates of knife crime are the same places that have the strictest gun control. Morons who blame and restrict inanimate objects for crimes are just exactly that - morons. Criminals commit crimes. Laws impact ONLY the honest law-abiding citizens.

Public perception of guns and knives is molded not only by the "news" media but also by film makers. If you watch popular television shows and movies, every bad guy has a fully automatic weapon of some sort. The good guys regularly violate almost every aspect of gun safety taught by LEO agencies, the NRA, and all reputable firearms trainers.

I subscribe to and regularly receive updates from the Center for Crime Prevention Research https://crimeresearch.org/, which routinely points out media bias and inaccurate reporting. They also provide academic research and statistics relating the true story which the "news" media rarely publish, or only publish on page 39 in fine print. It's free although they do occasionally solicit donations.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Interesting topic to post on YouTube. I think a better title would be why some
people are afraid or dislike pocket knives. Hate is too strong of a feeling.

Bob
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have carried a knife since before I was a teen-ager. I grew up on a farm and used a pocket knife daily. I still use one daily at work and at home. My pocket knives cut my food, open mail and packages, pare my fingernails, pick splinters, strip wires, and pick broken keys out of locks, but in all of my life I have never used a knife to intimidate, threaten, or harm another person. I do not think of a knife as a weapon, but as a tool.
People who were raised to see a knife as a weapon will fear them when they see them. A person who was raised to see a knife as a tool will admire them when they see them.
Being the good examples that most of you are here on AAPK, we do what we can to educate the next generation to see things our way.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
eveled

Post by eveled »

Kind of like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It’s just a tool until its used as a weapon.

Seriously most people in the States who want to carry a weapon would choose a gun.

Strangely I think I’d rather be shot than stabbed.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Many peoples perception in the uk of people carrying a knife problem isnt a good one , tbh everyone who knows me knows I carry a pocket knife , I have done for over 40yrs , my grandads carried penknives and used them daily as they are a tool like any other , I'll always keep withing uk laws , but I'll always carry one as will feel lost without one ::tu::
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
Bladesman

Post by Bladesman »

Yes I am from the UK but since 2004 I’ve lived in Los Angeles. California state law says you can carry a pocket knife with no blade limit. However Los Angeles County law says it has to be under 3 inches or 2 inches if it’s an auto.
Knife perception here in LA is scene as a weapon first, tool second, sad but unfortunately true.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Times have changed. Duh. Anyway, a reminder of what it was: Solingen, Germany, Sheffield, England and Walden, NY, USA were the cutleries for the world. Meanwhile, I live in an area rather different from Chicago IL. What we have here is called 'constitutional carry," which means I can carry a concealed firearm without any kind of permit. And there are zero knife laws. Zero. The irony here is that I will never have to defend myself with either gun or knife. Gun and knife crime in the entire state of Wyoming is maybe less than 50 a year. On the other hand it must be said, I suppose, that there are only about 250 of us living in Wyoming. LOL. That's a dumb joke. Actually there are probably fewer people living in Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Montana, North and South Dakota, combined, than in one or two major U.S. cities. And that's the way I like it.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Tongue river...I have been up, down, across,sideways, N,S,E,W on so many
trips to The Big Wyo I don't even recall !!!
But I been several areas where that 250 living there folk's looks as tho it could hold water !!! LOL
And yes, even at The River of Tongue's

Stag
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

stagman wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:26 am I make sure I got my knife afore my wallet & keys !!!
And cudgee, we ain't all urbanized, it's 22 miles for me to the closes grocery or drug store
and got one neighbor bout 3/4 mile away, mean ass desert between us
And GSPTOPDOG, I carried a knife since 5th grade and ain't never had a problem, and now 70 yrs old
There may be a lot wrong, and right....
but thank you George Washington for the Republic of The United States of America !!!
Proud to be a part of it !!!

Stag
George Washington? ::hmm:: Oh,,, ::idea:: Wasn't he that old white guy that owned slaves and was a nationalist and a white supremacist? ::paranoid:: I think that's what I remember from what the talking Heads on CNN said...

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

cudgee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:43 am

I figured that was the case, ::hmm:: In your youth, you probably spent a lot of time in "the bush" (some folks call it the "Outback" but that is really a type of restaurant that serves overcooked stakes and overprice fried onions). I knew you were the "real deal" all along ::nod:: ... OK, I have to sign off, I am going to crack open a nice cold tinny and my neighbor from Brussels just gave me a Vegemite sandwich, so time to eat :wink:
Take care mate ::handshake::

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:35 am
cudgee wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:43 am

I figured that was the case, ::hmm:: In your youth, you probably spent a lot of time in "the bush" (some folks call it the "Outback" but that is really a type of restaurant that serves overcooked stakes and overprice fried onions). I knew you were the "real deal" all along ::nod:: ... OK, I have to sign off, I am going to crack open a nice cold tinny and my neighbor from Brussels just gave me a Vegemite sandwich, so time to eat :wink:
Take care mate ::handshake::
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
eveled

Post by eveled »

Don’t judge the rest of the country by your experience living in LA
Bladesman

Post by Bladesman »

eveled wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:52 am Don’t judge the rest of the country by your experience living in LA
I’m sorry when did I put the rest of the country on trial?? All I said was some people hate pocket knives. NOT the whole of the United States!
My experience in Los Angeles has absolutely nothing to do with other peoples experiences in the rest of the country.
In fact if any judgement is being made here it’s by you, assuming that I’m making a snap judgement on the rest of America by my life here in California.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Why are so negative? You come from another country. Just wanted you to know LA is not a good representation of what the rest if the US is like
Bladesman

Post by Bladesman »

Post edited by an AAPK Administrator for profanity.

Please remember we are a family friendly forum and many of us like to show pictures of the pocketknives and the historical content posted here to their children and grandchildren.

Posts containing profanity will be removed in their entirety. It is not the Administrator's job to edit someone else's language. The entire post will simply be removed.

Return to “Knife Related Videos”