Battle Axe by Cooper Cutlery

Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Battle Axe by Cooper Cutlery

Post by Ripster »

Here’s a Battle Axe Green Bone Trapper by Cooper Cutlery . Purchased it thru Jamie in WV ‘s store here on the forum . Super service and excellent knife for 85 bucks shipped !! ::nod::
Believe Mr Cooper is on the right track . Best of Things to him , his people and all the dealers . Made in USA .
Attachments
6AB46AF4-C5B8-400F-8E97-6641E41E9199.jpeg
5C3E7D55-B5E0-48C5-A69E-946B6C4F3812.jpeg
3B289C13-D738-417C-85B0-DDD9A29B3031.jpeg
JP
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Battle Axe by Cooper Cutlery

Post by 1967redrider »

I agree about the knife and Jamie's service. 💯
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
RKelly89

Post by RKelly89 »

I recently received two Cooper Cutlery knives, the Battle Axe German Hunter and the Weed & Co. German Hunter, both with Stag scales and both created in 2021. Cooper must improve their quality control if they want to compete with GEC. For the time being, they are on par with Case and, dare I say, Rough Ryder. Cooper is only getting started, and I'm confident that he'll improve with time.
Both have minor fit and finish flaws, transitions from scale to bolster are a touch rough, and both have gaps between scales and frame/bolsters, as well as frame and spring. The blade centering is off by a hair on both, there is no half stop, and there is little to no wobbling. The blades are reasonably sharp, beautifully polished, and free of blemishes, as are the bolsters. One of them had a nick on the edge of the blade that required many passes with the sharpening stone to repair. The spring is flush while open and a hair proud when closed. The scales themselves are beautiful, with all pins flat and no fractures. Otherwise, they appear to be solid fine EDC knives; I'm not sure about collecting value.
I will definitely keep an eye on Cooper Cutlery, and I hope they continue to improve and provide us new designs to pick from.
Keep in mind that everything I've mentioned is from the perspective of a collector. None of these characteristics matter if you just want a decent robust and useful knife to carry about and bash the crap out of. I'm sure none of that mattered to our grandfathers.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

RKelly89 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:34 am I recently received two Cooper Cutlery knives, the Battle Axe German Hunter and the Weed & Co. German Hunter, both with Stag scales and both created in 2021. Cooper must improve their quality control if they want to compete with GEC. For the time being, they are on par with Case and, dare I say, Rough Ryder. Cooper is only getting started, and I'm confident that he'll improve with time.
Both have minor fit and finish flaws, transitions from scale to bolster are a touch rough, and both have gaps between scales and frame/bolsters, as well as frame and spring. The blade centering is off by a hair on both, there is no half stop, and there is little to no wobbling. The blades are reasonably sharp, beautifully polished, and free of blemishes, as are the bolsters. One of them had a nick on the edge of the blade that required many passes with the sharpening stone to repair. The spring is flush while open and a hair proud when closed. The scales themselves are beautiful, with all pins flat and no fractures. Otherwise, they appear to be solid fine EDC knives; I'm not sure about collecting value.
I will definitely keep an eye on Cooper Cutlery, and I hope they continue to improve and provide us new designs to pick from.
Keep in mind that everything I've mentioned is from the perspective of a collector. None of these characteristics matter if you just want a decent robust and useful knife to carry about and bash the crap out of. I'm sure none of that mattered to our grandfathers.
Exactly, to our Grandfathers these were tools, and were used as such. As long as they were sharp was the only thing that mattered to them. :)
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Ripster wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:12 am Here’s a Battle Axe Green Bone Trapper by Cooper Cutlery . Purchased it thru Jamie in WV ‘s store here on the forum . Super service and excellent knife for 85 bucks shipped !! ::nod::
Believe Mr Cooper is on the right track . Best of Things to him , his people and all the dealers . Made in USA .
Hope that Mr. Cooper continues with his quest to get the Schatt & Morgan line of cutlery going. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

RKelly89 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:34 am I recently received two Cooper Cutlery knives, the Battle Axe German Hunter and the Weed & Co. German Hunter, both with Stag scales and both created in 2021. Cooper must improve their quality control if they want to compete with GEC. For the time being, they are on par with Case and, dare I say, Rough Ryder. Cooper is only getting started, and I'm confident that he'll improve with time.
::welcome:: to AAPK RK89! ::handshake:: ! 8)
8)
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

I have recently become the proud owner of two Battle Axe knives, a trapper and a folding hunter, both in green jigged bone (pictured below). I acquired them through Jamieinwv AAPK Store. They are both well made and I believe they are as collectable as any other USA made knife. As noted by RKelly89 there is room for improvement. The fit and finish on the ones I have is very good but not perfect and the addition of half stops would be a plus. Cooper Cutlery is doing a fine job thus far and it is hoped that they will continue. As far as competing with GEC, I'm hoping they don't go down that path. GEC products have become almost impossible to get and the limited production has driven the resale prices through the roof. While GEC makes extremely fine knives and they are highly desirable I'd rather see Cooper fill the niche left open by the loss of Camillus, Schrade, & Queen producing high quality knives at a reasonable price. I think the collector value will accrue as they are purchased and used developing a reputation. Hats off to Mr. Cooper for stepping into the arena. This could be the start of something good! IMHO.
Attachments
Battle Axe Trapper Gift.jpg
Battle Axe FH & Tube (2).jpg
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks awesome, Sas! 😉👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Just a beautiful knife Charlie, congratulations! ::handshake:: The green is stunning and that shield is too cool! ::nod:: Wasn't it an absolute pleasure doing business with Jamie, I know my few transactions with him have been top-notch! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ripster wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:12 am Here’s a Battle Axe Green Bone Trapper by Cooper Cutlery . Purchased it thru Jamie in WV ‘s store here on the forum . Super service and excellent knife for 85 bucks shipped !! ::nod::
I'm sorry JP, I totally missed your post! ::facepalm:: That is one nice knife you have there, ::tu:: and I found Jamie honest and straight-up in his business dealings, so many could learn from his example! As I told Charlie above, the color and shield really make for a cool knife! 8)
8)
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Madmarco wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:29 pm Just a beautiful knife Charlie, congratulations! ::handshake:: The green is stunning and that shield is too cool! ::nod:: Wasn't it an absolute pleasure doing business with Jamie, I know my few transactions with him have been top-notch! 8)
I've found Jamie to be kind, generous, and down to earth. Good guy.
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Happy for you Charlie. ::tu::

Return to “Other US-made Knives”