Fallen Relative in WWII

Welcome to AAPK's Veteran’s Forum. This is a place where veterans can meet, get to know one another better, perhaps swap a story or two, and share any recent information that they have acquired from the Veterans Administration, DoD and Veterans Service Organizations, including but not limited to, DAV, AMVETS, VFW, American Legion, PVA, and MOPH. Another good source of information are branch specific organizations.
We will have a voluntary CHECKING IN topic where you can introduce yourself, years serve and branch or branches of service. Welcome Aboard!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Fallen Relative in WWII

Post by 1967redrider »

Does anyone know how I could find information about my mother's father's brother (great-uncle) who supposedly died on the beaches of Africa in WWII. All I have is his name and recall hearing this is what happened.

Many thanks!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
cody6268

Re: Fallen Relative in WWII

Post by cody6268 »

I know both Ancestry.com and MyHeritage both include military records, but both are pricey. I know Ancestry.com goes WAY back in its military records, I think to the Revolutionary War and even before; as I used them for a genealogy project I did in my history class in college.
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:59 pm Does anyone know how I could find information about my mother's father's brother (great-uncle) who supposedly died on the beaches of Africa in WWII. All I have is his name and recall hearing this is what happened.

Many thanks!
Red, you could try getting a copy of his DD214 . It’s a Dept. of Defense form all Veterans ( I believe ) get upon discharge or Death . Sometimes the local Veterans Service Office where Service member lived has or can help get with that and other things . Of course it takes time and jumping thru hoops . Do you have any unit info. or Rank or ?
Best of luck in your quest .
JP
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ripster wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:24 pm
1967redrider wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:59 pm Does anyone know how I could find information about my mother's father's brother (great-uncle) who supposedly died on the beaches of Africa in WWII. All I have is his name and recall hearing this is what happened.

Many thanks!
Red, you could try getting a copy of his DD214 . It’s a Dept. of Defense form all Veterans ( I believe ) get upon discharge or Death . Sometimes the local Veterans Service Office where Service member lived has or can help get with that and other things . Of course it takes time and jumping thru hoops . Do you have any unit info. or Rank or ?
Best of luck in your quest .

Thanks, JP, and I don't but might be able to get some more info from my mom's oldest brother. But he's a pill, so . . . plus I think he makes it up as he goes along.

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:20 pm I know both Ancestry.com and MyHeritage both include military records, but both are pricey. I know Ancestry.com goes WAY back in its military records, I think to the Revolutionary War and even before; as I used them for a genealogy project I did in my history class in college.

Thanks for the suggestion, cody. ::tu::

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I may be way off base John, but perhaps The War Amps could help? ::shrug:: Best of luck bud! 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:16 am I may be way off base John, but perhaps The War Amps could help? ::shrug:: Best of luck bud! 8)

Thanks, Mark. ::handshake::

steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Even if the uncle is a pill, its worth talking to him, maybe he'll respond. Good luck with this.
steve99f
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Turns out Herb has a connection and was able to provide me with some awesome information. Thanks again, Herb! 😎👍

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

::ds:: ::groove:: :D ::tu:: ::super_happy:: ! 8)
8)
wlf

Post by wlf »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:27 pm Turns out Herb has a connection and was able to provide me with some awesome information. Thanks again, Herb! 😎👍
Cool John. I wish I had tape recorded my daddy and asked more questions. I remember the good or bad stories , but I'm sure not all the details.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

wlf wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:38 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:27 pm Turns out Herb has a connection and was able to provide me with some awesome information. Thanks again, Herb! 😎👍
Cool John. I wish I had tape recorded my daddy and asked more questions. I remember the good or bad stories , but I'm sure not all the details.

I'm envious of people who have old home movies, Lyle. Not that I want to watch anyone's. 🤭

wlf

Post by wlf »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:20 am
wlf wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:38 pm

I'm envious of people who have old home movies, Lyle. Not that I want to watch anyone's. 🤭
Yes, I could have taped those stories. Boy, hindsight is much better than real time in my head.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

You can also check with his hometown City/Town Hall. They used to tell veterans to file a copy of their DD 214 with them in the event they lost their copy.

Doesn't hurt to ask, once this was done, it became a matter of public record

Good Luck!

Tom
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

By the way, Veteran's no longer recommend this because the DD Form 214 has/had Social Security numbers on them

Tom
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Many thanks!
My father was in the Army during WWII and I've tried to get some of his records but the were destroyed during the 1973 fire
where the Army stored the service records. We were told that there was no backup copies made.
You can read more about it at https://www.archives.gov/personnel-reco ... /fire-1973

I copied this from the website:
The 1973 Fire, National Personnel Records Center
The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) Fire: A Study in Disaster

Overview:
On July 12, 1973, a disastrous fire at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) destroyed approximately 16-18 million Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). The records affected:

Branch..............Personnel and Period Affected...........................Estimated Loss
Army Personnel discharged November 1, 1912 to January 1, 1960........80%

Good Luck I hope you find something.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Chase wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:38 pm You can also check with his hometown City/Town Hall. They used to tell veterans to file a copy of their DD 214 with them in the event they lost their copy.

Doesn't hurt to ask, once this was done, it became a matter of public record

Good Luck!

Tom
Thanks for the suggestions, Tom! Hope things are going well in the WMD.

Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here is a link that may help!

https://www.military.com/benefits/recor ... _230403.nl

Also found on Military.com website

Tom
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks again, Tom!

Return to “Veteran’s Forum”