Camp Lejeune Water Issues commercial

Welcome to AAPK's Veteran’s Forum. This is a place where veterans can meet, get to know one another better, perhaps swap a story or two, and share any recent information that they have acquired from the Veterans Administration, DoD and Veterans Service Organizations, including but not limited to, DAV, AMVETS, VFW, American Legion, PVA, and MOPH. Another good source of information are branch specific organizations.
We will have a voluntary CHECKING IN topic where you can introduce yourself, years serve and branch or branches of service. Welcome Aboard!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Camp Lejeune Water Issues commercial

Post by 1967redrider »

Not 1 day of military experience for me, but I definitely appreciate all that you have done to protect and defend our great country. 🇺🇲 I've seen a bunch of TV commercials lately about contaminated water at Camp Lejeune from the 1950's to 1980's and hope that none of you are dealing with this.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Camp Lejeune Water Issues commercial

Post by Railsplitter »

I was at Fort Bragg, NC from 1979-1982. Close, but far enough away not to be affected. This would have affected tons of soldiers. It's my sincere hope that anybody affected will be sufficiently compensated. It's the least they could do.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Judging by the TV commercials, every lawyer who has passed the bar has jumped on this, promising big bucks to those stationed at Camp Lejeune during the time period advertised and most claim to be Marines. ::facepalm::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:42 pm Judging by the TV commercials, every lawyer who has passed the bar has jumped on this, promising big bucks to those stationed at Camp Lejeune during the time period advertised and most claim to be Marines.
::tear:: My S-I-L was born there when his dad served in the Marines. Bill died of pulmonary fibrosis attributed to that contamination and his dad died a year later of several medical conditions. My Grand Children suffer from inherited medical conditions. The VA said not so. So it was don't call us we'll call you. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
wlf

Post by wlf »

fergusontd wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:26 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:42 pm Judging by the TV commercials, every lawyer who has passed the bar has jumped on this, promising big bucks to those stationed at Camp Lejeune during the time period advertised and most claim to be Marines.
::tear:: My S-I-L was born there when his dad served in the Marines. Bill died of pulmonary fibrosis attributed to that contamination and his dad died a year later of several medical conditions. My Grand Children suffer from inherited medical conditions. The VA said not so. So it was don't call us we'll call you. ftd
Sorry to hear that your family has been poisoned , but I'm glad to hear firsthand. I'm not too trusting of lawyers.

DuPont paid a big settlement for contamination near here and continued to make the product involved in the settlement. ???s

It's why we need good government oversight and enforcement of regulations , because corruption and greed can't be left unchecked. Look what happened in 2008 after Clinton and Bush let the financial sector have more freedom. Bad people will corrupt anything.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

fergusontd wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:26 pm
My step-grandson was born with spine bifida. His biological grandfather served in Vietnam and his father in the Gulf War. He receives a monthly pension and SSD from his father's social security.
It often takes years to get a claim through with the Veterans Administration.

I knew one veteran was an early PTSD claim that he had appealed properly each of his denials and when they finally started granting PTSD claims he got over $100,000 in the back compensation.

Agent orange is another example of claims that were denied for many years but now there is a whole list of presumptive service connected conditions for veterans who have been in Vietnam and therefore presume to have been exposed to agent orange.
I have two Vietnam veteran friends who are currently service connected because of Parkinson's disease which is presumed to have been the result of their service in Vietnam.
Unfortunately, many of the veterans who were worst affected by agent Orange did not live long enough to collect benefits, or died shortly after benefits were granted. Once the Veterans Administration admits that the veteran does have a service-connected condition, then the veterans spouse or children maybe eligible for pension. In the case of a spouse they may receive a pension and children can support and also educational benefits.

I am concerned about veterans with burn pit syndrome which has been newly recognized in the Pact Act by President Biden. Respiratory problems are a big issue with veterans who have served in the Gulf. My own daughter has burn pit syndrome from a 10-month deployment in Qatar. Besides the respiratory problems she also has serious liver and kidney problems caused from the poisons that were burned in the burn pit next to her base.

Ferguson, I would encourage your family members affected by that exposure to the water at Camp Lejeune to contact one of these attorneys as I understand lawsuits are outside of the VA system and will not be adjudicated under VA law, but under the law of the State for North Carolina and Federal law. I think the possibility of a positive ruling is much greater outside the VA system.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::facepalm:: Dale, she tried and was told no. I recently talked to a Marine vet stationed there during Vietnam. He was severely affected by the contamination. He told me he contacted a lawyer and was told that yes he could get a settlement but the lawyers would get up to 40% of his settlement and he would lose his military disability and VA medical coverage. This is what isn't told to people applying for the law suit payments. ftd
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I think that every Marine or subcontractor that suffered from that period at Camp Lejeune should be compensated for any sickness they had. I'm afraid though that this fund was set up for the benefit of trial lawyers and they will wind up with nearly one third of the money from this fund. I hate to say it but it's another political payback to the Trial Lawyers Association in return for the contributions to the DNC. When you see Morgan and Morgan involved in something you can bet there is illicit money to be had.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::ds:: Whats 40' long, yellow and funny when you see it? ...... A bus load of lawyers going over a clift! What's a damn shame? 1 empty seat! ftd
Samb

Post by Samb »

fergusontd wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:15 pm ::ds:: Whats 40' long, yellow and funny when you see it? ...... A bus load of lawyers going over a clift! What's a damn shame? 1 empty seat! ftd
Funny, but true! Vampires are be what they should be called.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

I feel bad for the soldiers who were lied to and fed contaminated drinking water while the authorities probably said what city officials in Flynt MI said? "Don't worry, that brown, stinky drinking water is fine, won't hurt you, drink up." The trial lawyers didn't have anything to do with that. All they are trying to do is get compensation for those who were screwed and lied to and treated like pons and gun fodder. Who lied to them? Ahhhhh, now that's who the Vampires and scum really are.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

Agreed. No one works for nothing and 60 or 70% of a settlement is better than zero. Not pleasant but that's how it works. I was in a car accident in 2017 and had to sue. Cost me 30% but well worth it.
steve99f
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:42 pm Judging by the TV commercials, every lawyer who has passed the bar has jumped on this, promising big bucks to those stationed at Camp Lejeune during the time period advertised and most claim to be Marines. ::facepalm::
Jerry, I talked to a Marine that was stationed there in the 60's. He told me he checked into it and found that he'd lose 60% of that judgment to the lawyers and would lose his VA hospital benefits and any disability payments from his time in the Marines. He was also affected by Agent Orange and had cancer because of it. ftd
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:38 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:42 pm Judging by the TV commercials, every lawyer who has passed the bar has jumped on this, promising big bucks to those stationed at Camp Lejeune during the time period advertised and most claim to be Marines. ::facepalm::
Jerry, I talked to a Marine that was stationed there in the 60's. He told me he checked into it and found that he'd lose 60% of that judgment to the lawyers and would lose his VA hospital benefits and any disability payments from his time in the Marines. He was also affected by Agent Orange and had cancer because of it. ftd
Doesn't surprise me.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

What stinks about the story Ferg related is that the VA would cut off the vet from benefits they may be already getting should he choose to sue,if true.
steve99f
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

The trial lawyers are the biggest winners here. The Wall Street Journal reported that when this was jammed through Congress no amendments or debate was allowed. Behind the scenes there were several Democrats that changed the bill so that there is no cap on the compensation that the attorneys can be compensated. For other similar lawsuits they usually are capped at 20% but not this time. This time the lawyers could take 90% or more if they wanted to. Plus there was no ceiling placed on the total amount that can be claimed which means this is an ongoing liability to the government that could stretch to infinity and last for decades. What could have been capped at a reasonable amount now could stretch into the 100’s of billions or even trillions of dollars. What a gift from the Democrats to the trial lawyers.
I hope that everyone effected will be rightly compensated, but it makes my blood boil to see these kinds of political paybacks happening. Those commercials should be viewed with this information in mind. It isn’t about helping the victims, it’s about lining the pockets of attorneys and paying back a portion to those that made the law, Democrats.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:47 am I hope that everyone effected will be rightly compensated, but it makes my blood boil to see these kinds of political paybacks happening.
I agree on both counts. Quick Steel recently asked in another thread what has an adverse effect on my affability. Sleaze-bag tort lawyers are one such thing.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

They say you can't see the sky over Lejeune for all the lawyers flying lazy circles overhead. Too bad that's the way the system works.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:12 pm They say you can't see the sky over Lejeune for all the lawyers flying lazy circles overhead. Too bad that's the way the system works.
::woot:: Kind of like buzzards circulating over a dead carcass. Lawyers are scumbags! ftd
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

FTD: I actually have quite a few lawyer friends and I like them all. I just can't stomach their profession. They're just, at best, a necessary evil. I feel the same way or worse about whomever writes the instructions for the tax returns. Not bragging but I have two college degrees and last year I wrecked my 1040 because I just could not make sense of the da++ed instructions. I know I'm no longer the whiz-kid I once was but it's ridiculous. I'm convinced they do it to keep normal citizens from eliminating their lousy IRS jobs. Luckily our local library had volunteer retired accountants doing taxes free for confused souls like me. First time in almost 60 years I didn't do my own taxes.......! That's my rant, sorry. ::disgust:: J.O'.

Return to “Veteran’s Forum”