Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Quick Steel »

You have composed a great display Tim. Highly decorative and a great conversation piece. Well done!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

tvic wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:33 pm I’ve never chimed in here, but I’ll add my less than 2 cents worth. Actually I’m a fan of the turquoise and similar “decorative” knives, and although all of these are not Rough Riders, many of them are. Of course, all are China made. Actually I don’t use any of them - just enjoy the “look.” Some feel great and well made. Others are pretty weak. But for the price, I’m not complaining. I can’t afford the $300-$400 and up for Yellowhorse knives, so these make an acceptable alternative. And, BTW, I’m sure I’m buying any fewer USA made knives because I have these.
Nice themed collection, Tim. I have plenty of knives that do not use, but enjoy looking at. When I go on vacation I have taken my more expensive knives (which are expensive only in comparison to RR) out of the display case and replaced them with RRs and other China knives. Just so any potential burglars won't be disappointed. Anyway, the RRs looked just as good as the ones they replaced.
Mel
tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by tvic »

Thanks Marco, Reverand, QS and Mel!
Madmarco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:05 pm If I'm not mistaken, the knife at top-left/first picture is from their "Southwestern" series, yes?
Yes, Marco, and it’s a good, solid knife with excellent snap - feels like pretty darned good quality!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

tvic wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:27 pm Thanks Marco, Reverand, QS and Mel!
Madmarco wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:05 pm If I'm not mistaken, the knife at top-left/first picture is from their "Southwestern" series, yes?
Yes, Marco, and it’s a good, solid knife with excellent snap - feels like pretty darned good quality!
Thanks for the confirmation Tim, I hate wondering if I'm correct or not. My Dr.'s knife from that series also feels very solid and great quality, and that's so nice when the price was so reasonable. 8)
8)
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Just got in a RR 2423 cinnamon bone whittler, T10 carbon steel , looks and feels great, hopefully it will carve well ::tu::
20220715_142906-01.jpeg
Attachments
20220715_142839-01.jpeg
20220715_142821-02.jpeg
20220715_143023-01.jpeg
20220715_143007-01.jpeg
20220715_142930-01.jpeg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mmmm, daddy like. That cinnamon bone is killer.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

zed6309 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:28 pm Just got in a RR 2423 cinnamon bone whittler, T10 carbon steel , looks and feels great, hopefully it will carve well ::tu::
20220715_142906-01.jpeg
I have a Yellow Delrin version I use as a carpentry knife, and it performs really well. My only complaint is that it has two pen blades, instead of a coping blade.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice whittler with that cinnamon bone, Paul! I have the yellow Delrin version. I do agree with Cody that it would be better as a user with a coping blade. I have always wondered why no one makes a whittler with two coping blades instead of two pen blades. That is what I would like!
Mel
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

OK RR experts. I need a single blade, no longer than 3.25 inches closed, carbon steel preferred. What is the most consistantly good RR that fits the bill?

Edit, it's probably obvious but I'm talking a folder.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

I agree Cody & Mel about the coping blade, I'm going to turn one of the pen blades into a coping ::tu::
Paul,

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Looks even better than it did in "Mail Call" Paul. Love those covers, sweet! 8)
8)
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:05 am Looks even better than it did in "Mail Call" Paul. Love those covers, sweet! 8)
And it whittles well ::tu:: the T10 should work well for carving, I made it a leather slip ::tu::
20220716_135526-01.jpeg
Paul,

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a solid looking slip Paul that will go nicely with the knife. I like that you went to the trouble to install the rivets, makes it look professional. The more times I see your new Rough Rider the more I like it, multiple blades and all! That open blade looks like it would make short work of a block of wood! 8)
8)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

A few I just put in my store....006,015,016,017
Attachments
IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1844.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG
IMG_1848.JPG
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Every one of those is attractive, Jamie.
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by zed6309 »

Madmarco wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:08 pm That's a solid looking slip Paul that will go nicely with the knife. I like that you went to the trouble to install the rivets, makes it look professional. The more times I see your new Rough Rider the more I like it, multiple blades and all! That open blade looks like it would make short work of a block of wood! 8)
Cheers Marco ::tu:: I carved with it again today and I love it , the T10 has held up well also ::tu::
Paul,

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

If I ever manage to put some money together again I want one of each of the 4 Rough Riders you posted Jamie, and I'm also trying to find an auto in your store with a removable blade for shipping. Did you play with your new Launch 8 before listing it? If not give it a try, you'll like the action! Your store is looking great with all that stock, let's hope it looks bare real soon! LOL! 8)
8)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Quick Steel wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:49 pm Every one of those is attractive, Jamie.
Thank you QS…they are unbelievable knives
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:59 pm If I ever manage to put some money together again I want one of each of the 4 Rough Riders you posted Jamie, and I'm also trying to find an auto in your store with a removable blade for shipping. Did you play with your new Launch 8 before listing it? If not give it a try, you'll like the action! Your store is looking great with all that stock, let's hope it looks bare real soon! LOL! 8)
You be a good boy maybe Santa will get you one….and yes the Kershaw is a dandy, they seem to put extra heavy springs in them…when you hit the button it’s like a ejection seat
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Well, I always try to be a good boy buddy so that should be no problem. I axed you about the Launch cuz I just got one and am extremely pleased with how it operates. First time I fired it I thought I was firing my Ganzo 707, except for the lesser weight of the Launch, but the snap felt very similar. I also like the looks of the autos you listed for US$193., although the name of the knife eludes me presently. 8)
8)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:54 pm Well, I always try to be a good boy buddy so that should be no problem. I axed you about the Launch cuz I just got one and am extremely pleased with how it operates. First time I fired it I thought I was firing my Ganzo 707, except for the lesser weight of the Launch, but the snap felt very similar. I also like the looks of the autos you listed for US$193., although the name of the knife eludes me presently. 8)
GT knives … Greg Bark and Todd Jones, created GT Knives, made in Fountain Hills, AZ. They are supposed to be all done in house, I don’t know if that means heat treat or not but I seriously doubt it. It’s a major process, I can vouch for that, we had four ovens at Toyota and it’s no easy undertaking.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Yah, those are the one's Jamie, GT knives. From the information you provided it certainly sounds as if they're very well built knives that the makers didn't skimp on. 8)
8)
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:26 am Yah, those are the one's Jamie, GT knives. From the information you provided it certainly sounds as if they're very well built knives that the makers didn't skimp on. 8)
Here you go
https://www.gtknife.com/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Interesting link Jamie, thanks! 8)
8)
ebrandwein

Post by ebrandwein »

RR1960 bolster lock trapper. For $15, very well done