Rough Riders!

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
User avatar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 5974
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Canada

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Madmarco » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:43 pm

Very nice RR Trapper EBW! ::tu:: Where else can one find a solid and really cool folding knife for 15 bones? ::shrug:: ::ds:: ! 8)
8)

ebrandwein
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:22 pm

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by ebrandwein » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:48 pm

Madmarco wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:43 pm
Very nice RR Trapper EBW! ::tu:: Where else can one find a solid and really cool folding knife for 15 bones? ::shrug:: ::ds:: ! 8)
My feelings exactly :)

User avatar
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 am
Location: Ponder (Denton County) Texas
Contact:

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by dlr110 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:30 pm

ebrandwein wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:36 pm
RR1960 bolster lock trapper. For $15, very well done
I don't know why I don't have a bolster lock in my collection, but I don't.
I have now corrected that oversight by ordering one from SMKW.
BTW congrats, good looking knife, if you hadn't posted it I wouldn't have one coming.... ::tu::
David R (USN Ret.)
https://www.davidsblades.com/
Don't just count your blessings, be the blessing others count on!

User avatar
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 2804
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:34 am
Location: Coastal Alabama

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Dinadan » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:24 am

ebrandwein wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:36 pm
RR1960 bolster lock trapper. For $15, very well done
Very sharp looking knife! I may need to get one of those.
Mel

User avatar
zed6309
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2613
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:07 am
Location: poole,dorset,uk

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by zed6309 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:06 pm

zed6309 wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:09 pm
I agree Cody & Mel about the coping blade, I'm going to turn one of the pen blades into a coping ::tu::
I absolutely agree as would of preferred at least one coping blade , even a smaller wharncliffe or sheeps foot would of been nice , I saw a Case 5355 I think 1991 that had two copping blades and looks just like this knife ::tu::
1647291068_851_1.jpg
Paul,

friendship is a rare and precious gift,
A day without a pocket knife is the day your need it,

User avatar
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 am
Location: Ponder (Denton County) Texas
Contact:

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by dlr110 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:22 pm

Just got this one in the mail yesterday. The same one that ebrandwein bought.

The Rough Ryder 1960 Bolster Lock. This is the first one in my collection and I'm not sure if I
care for it yet. Company description: "3.25" 440A stainless steel clip point blade with a satin finish and a match strike pull. The handles are red sawcut bone with a sturdy bolster lock, nickel silver hardware, and a nickel silver diamond shield. It's 4.12" closed and weighs 4oz."
For a single blade knife it is a good size and weight. The handle has a rich color and are well matched. All seams are flush and smooth with no space. The blade action with a half-stop is rather tight. It has zero play when fully open and closes with a crisp snap. The bolster lock is nothing more than a liner lock except a piece of the bolster is attached. The blade doesn't feel like the edge is as sharp as other RR's I have purchased in the same price range. Now as far as the technical aspect of the knife I have no idea and it's not important to me. Simply as an EDC pocket knife I would give it 4 out of 5 stars.
rr1960_web15.jpg
20220806_141624.jpg
20220806_085233.jpg
20220806_085334.jpg
David R (USN Ret.)
https://www.davidsblades.com/
Don't just count your blessings, be the blessing others count on!

User avatar
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 14619
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Lebanon, KY

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Quick Steel » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:28 pm

That is a good analysis David and certainly a good looking knife.

User avatar
cody6268
Posts: 3500
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Southwestern Virginia

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by cody6268 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:04 pm

Looks great! I have the one-hand open Trapper (non-assisted), and the one thing that irks me about it is that it is built more like a tactical folder--as it lacks a back spring, but instead had detents for half-open for unlocking and then the liner lock.

I think the Bolster Lock may end up being a better alternative.

User avatar
Grump01
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 514
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 2:54 am
Location: Central Indiana

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Grump01 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:28 pm

Was hoping these would sell out before I pulled the trigger all weekend, but reading this and looking again, still in stock, limited availibility, just went ahead and pulled the trigger........... ::dang::
Don

User avatar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 5974
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Canada

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Madmarco » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:56 pm

Good for you Don! ::tu:: You only live once, may as well enjoy it! 8)
8)

tvic
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 846
Joined: Tue May 25, 2021 3:32 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by tvic » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:32 pm

Like that handle on that one, David! Good lookin’ knife!
Tim
“Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God.” - Ronald Reagan

User avatar
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 am
Location: Ponder (Denton County) Texas
Contact:

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by dlr110 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:32 am

Okay here are the ones I've been waiting on. The Tater Skin Brown Burlap Micarta Series.
There are a couple more in the series but these are the only ones I wanted.
Lets start with the handle that is very nicely done with a black spacer between the Micarta and the bolster. The pins and the shield are perfectly smooth to where you can not feel an edge. All the blades are 440 Razor Sharp as my right thumb will attest too and all have half-stops. The brass liners and springs are perfectly matched and smooth down the spine. As I said very sharp edge on each blade. I really like the small 3.5" Sod Buster. I could do without the liner lock on it but it doesn't take anything away from its feel and useability. IMHO these are not work knives that would last for decades but they are excellent EDC knives or perfect for any collector. As a collector I'm very happy to have them in the Rough Ryder side of my collection.
_
20220811_185556.jpg
Texas Toothpick - 5" closed
Texas Toothpick - 5" closed
Stockman - 4.25" closed
Stockman - 4.25" closed
Trapper - 4.0" closed
Trapper - 4.0" closed
Congress - 3.75" closed
Congress - 3.75" closed
Canoe - 3.75" closed
Canoe - 3.75" closed
Sod Buster - 3.5" closed
Sod Buster - 3.5" closed
David R (USN Ret.)
https://www.davidsblades.com/
Don't just count your blessings, be the blessing others count on!

User avatar
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 5974
Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 12:09 am
Location: Smack dab in the middle of Canada

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Madmarco » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:16 am

Even nicer over here than in "Mail Call" David. I still really like the toothpick but the Sodbuster ain't no slouch either. I love when a set gets completed! 8)
8)

User avatar
cudgee
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 5484
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am
Location: Victoria. Australia.

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by cudgee » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:35 am

Grump01 wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:28 pm
Was hoping these would sell out before I pulled the trigger all weekend, but reading this and looking again, still in stock, limited availibility, just went ahead and pulled the trigger........... ::dang::
Bet ya feel better for it though. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: :lol:

User avatar
cudgee
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 5484
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am
Location: Victoria. Australia.

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by cudgee » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:36 am

dlr110 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:32 am
Okay here are the ones I've been waiting on. The Tater Skin Brown Burlap Micarta Series.
There are a couple more in the series but these are the only ones I wanted.
Lets start with the handle that is very nicely done with a black spacer between the Micarta and the bolster. The pins and the shield are perfectly smooth to where you can not feel an edge. All the blades are 440 Razor Sharp as my right thumb will attest too and all have half-stops. The brass liners and springs are perfectly matched and smooth down the spine. As I said very sharp edge on each blade. I really like the small 3.5" Sod Buster. I could do without the liner lock on it but it doesn't take anything away from its feel and useability. IMHO these are not work knives that would last for decades but they are excellent EDC knives or perfect for any collector. As a collector I'm very happy to have them in the Rough Ryder side of my collection.
_
20220811_185556.jpg20220811_183023.jpg20220811_183036.jpg20220811_183121.jpg20220811_183137.jpg20220811_183148.jpg20220811_183159.jpg
Nice set. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That is the original spelling is it not ???

User avatar
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 am
Location: Ponder (Denton County) Texas
Contact:

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by dlr110 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:35 pm

cudgee wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:36 am
Nice set. That is the original spelling is it not ???
I'm sorry cudgee which word are you referring to?
David R (USN Ret.)
https://www.davidsblades.com/
Don't just count your blessings, be the blessing others count on!

User avatar
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 38134
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:23 am
Location: The middle of the top of a bastion of Liberalism.

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by jerryd6818 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:44 pm

dlr110 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:35 pm
cudgee wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:36 am
Nice set. That is the original spelling is it not ???
I'm sorry cudgee which word are you referring to?
I could be wrong but I think he's referring to "Rider" or "Ryder".
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

User avatar
Dan In MI
Silver Tier
Silver Tier
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:00 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Dan In MI » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:12 pm

Those look really nice, David! I will have to see about getting one or two of the toothpicks.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWA0VjH6v3WS6gvLkPGk9KA

User avatar
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 am
Location: Ponder (Denton County) Texas
Contact:

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by dlr110 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:39 pm

cudgee wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:36 am
dlr110 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:32 am
Okay here are the ones I've been waiting on. The Tater Skin Brown Burlap Micarta Series.
There are a couple more in the series but these are the only ones I wanted.
Lets start with the handle that is very nicely done with a black spacer between the Micarta and the bolster. The pins and the shield are perfectly smooth to where you can not feel an edge. All the blades are 440 Razor Sharp as my right thumb will attest too and all have half-stops. The brass liners and springs are perfectly matched and smooth down the spine. As I said very sharp edge on each blade. I really like the small 3.5" Sod Buster. I could do without the liner lock on it but it doesn't take anything away from its feel and useability. IMHO these are not work knives that would last for decades but they are excellent EDC knives or perfect for any collector. As a collector I'm very happy to have them in the Rough Ryder side of my collection.
_
20220811_185556.jpg20220811_183023.jpg20220811_183036.jpg20220811_183121.jpg20220811_183137.jpg20220811_183148.jpg20220811_183159.jpg
Nice set. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That is the original spelling is it not ???
The story as I understand it is yes they used Ryder then changed to Rider. Then some person or group got upset and they have changed back to Ryder. I haven't researched it but I bet we have someone here that knows the story.
David R (USN Ret.)
https://www.davidsblades.com/
Don't just count your blessings, be the blessing others count on!

User avatar
cudgee
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 5484
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am
Location: Victoria. Australia.

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by cudgee » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:00 pm

dlr110 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:39 pm
cudgee wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:36 am
dlr110 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:32 am
Okay here are the ones I've been waiting on. The Tater Skin Brown Burlap Micarta Series.
There are a couple more in the series but these are the only ones I wanted.
Lets start with the handle that is very nicely done with a black spacer between the Micarta and the bolster. The pins and the shield are perfectly smooth to where you can not feel an edge. All the blades are 440 Razor Sharp as my right thumb will attest too and all have half-stops. The brass liners and springs are perfectly matched and smooth down the spine. As I said very sharp edge on each blade. I really like the small 3.5" Sod Buster. I could do without the liner lock on it but it doesn't take anything away from its feel and useability. IMHO these are not work knives that would last for decades but they are excellent EDC knives or perfect for any collector. As a collector I'm very happy to have them in the Rough Ryder side of my collection.
_
20220811_185556.jpg20220811_183023.jpg20220811_183036.jpg20220811_183121.jpg20220811_183137.jpg20220811_183148.jpg20220811_183159.jpg
Nice set. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That is the original spelling is it not ???
The story as I understand it is yes they used Ryder then changed to Rider. Then some person or group got upset and they have changed back to Ryder. I haven't researched it but I bet we have someone here that knows the story.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: Have a good weekend my friend. :)

User avatar
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:31 am
Location: So. Central California.

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Old Folder » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:46 am

dlr110 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:39 pm
cudgee wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:36 am
dlr110 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:32 am
Okay here are the ones I've been waiting on. The Tater Skin Brown Burlap Micarta Series.
There are a couple more in the series but these are the only ones I wanted.
Lets start with the handle that is very nicely done with a black spacer between the Micarta and the bolster. The pins and the shield are perfectly smooth to where you can not feel an edge. All the blades are 440 Razor Sharp as my right thumb will attest too and all have half-stops. The brass liners and springs are perfectly matched and smooth down the spine. As I said very sharp edge on each blade. I really like the small 3.5" Sod Buster. I could do without the liner lock on it but it doesn't take anything away from its feel and useability. IMHO these are not work knives that would last for decades but they are excellent EDC knives or perfect for any collector. As a collector I'm very happy to have them in the Rough Ryder side of my collection.
_
20220811_185556.jpg20220811_183023.jpg20220811_183036.jpg20220811_183121.jpg20220811_183137.jpg20220811_183148.jpg20220811_183159.jpg
Nice set. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That is the original spelling is it not ???
The story as I understand it is yes they used Ryder then changed to Rider. Then some person or group got upset and they have changed back to Ryder. I haven't researched it but I bet we have someone here that knows the story.
Good question, this subject comes up on occasion.

Rough Ryder/Rider, and Rough Ryder Reserve has always been made and owned by "Smoky Mountain Knife Works." RR and RRR was not sold to SMKW.

The knives were originally spelled with a "Y" and then later changed to an "I"

Then, around the 25th anniversary (1994-2019) they went back to the "Y" to honor their beginnings.

There was no "Trademark" or "Patent" problem with a Teddy Roosevelt group or entity as some collectors speculate/assume.

So....Originally spelled with a "Y," changed to an "I" and back to the "Y" around the 25th anniversary (2019) Too current date 2022.

RR/RRR is an American owned company, the knives are produced in China within numerous knife companies located in China.

Rough Ryder Reserve (RRR) knives are made within a different Chinese factory than many other Rough Ryder knives, mainly because it has been stated by SMKW that the workmanship is not "better" but different for the production of these fine RRR knives and warrants the small price increase from the standard RR knives. If you own any of the RRR knives, you will see and feel the difference.

However, nothing is written in stone concerning the "I" and "Y" spelling. A good example is the three new "Rough Ryder Buckshot Bone" knives recently released. (RR2318, RR2320, and RR2323) The master blades are etched "ROUGH RIDER" but the tang stamps are etched "ROUGH RYDER."

Potatoes / Potatos, Tomatoes / Tomatos. "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" (George Gershwin's song) ::shrug::

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

User avatar
cudgee
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 5484
Joined: Thu May 16, 2019 7:21 am
Location: Victoria. Australia.

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by cudgee » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:01 am

Old Folder wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:46 am
dlr110 wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:39 pm
cudgee wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:36 am

Nice set. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: That is the original spelling is it not ???
The story as I understand it is yes they used Ryder then changed to Rider. Then some person or group got upset and they have changed back to Ryder. I haven't researched it but I bet we have someone here that knows the story.
Good question, this subject comes up on occasion.

Rough Ryder/Rider, and Rough Ryder Reserve has always been made and owned by "Smoky Mountain Knife Works." RR and RRR was not sold to SMKW.

The knives were originally spelled with a "Y" and then later changed to an "I"

Then, around the 25th anniversary (1994-2019) they went back to the "Y" to honor their beginnings.

There was no "Trademark" or "Patent" problem with a Teddy Roosevelt group or entity as some collectors speculate/assume.

So....Originally spelled with a "Y," changed to an "I" and back to the "Y" around the 25th anniversary (2019) Too current date 2022.

RR/RRR is an American owned company, the knives are produced in China within numerous knife companies located in China.

Rough Ryder Reserve (RRR) knives are made within a different Chinese factory than many other Rough Ryder knives, mainly because it has been stated by SMKW that the workmanship is not "better" but different for the production of these fine RRR knives and warrants the small price increase from the standard RR knives. If you own any of the RRR knives, you will see and feel the difference.

However, nothing is written in stone concerning the "I" and "Y" spelling. A good example is the three new "Rough Ryder Buckshot Bone" knives recently released. (RR2318, RR2320, and RR2323) The master blades are etched "ROUGH RIDER" but the tang stamps are etched "ROUGH RYDER."

Potatoes / Potatos, Tomatoes / Tomatos. "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" (George Gershwin's song) ::shrug::

Dan
Dan, thanks for your very informative and comprehensive explanation, why this place is such a wealth of information with contributors such as yourself. ::handshake::

User avatar
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:31 am
Location: So. Central California.

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Old Folder » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:09 am

Thank you for your compliment cudgee. ::handshake::

I learn somthing every day I log into aapk.

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

User avatar
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4582
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 am
Location: Ponder (Denton County) Texas
Contact:

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by dlr110 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:45 am

Old Folder wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:09 am
Thank you for your compliment cudgee. ::handshake::

I learn somthing every day I log into aapk.

Dan
Thank you Dan, now I know just a little more than I did this morning.... ::handshake::
David R (USN Ret.)
https://www.davidsblades.com/
Don't just count your blessings, be the blessing others count on!

User avatar
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2016
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:31 am
Location: So. Central California.

Re: Rough Riders!

Post by Old Folder » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:13 am

dlr110 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:45 am
Old Folder wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:09 am
Thank you for your compliment cudgee. ::handshake::

I learn somthing every day I log into aapk.

Dan
Thank you Dan, now I know just a little more than I did this morning.... ::handshake::
A late "Thank You" David.
I missed your post. :oops: ::handshake::

Dan
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Post Reply

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”