Mighty oaks from little acorns grow

For Collectors & Users of Rough Rider Brand Knives.
bigshot

Mighty oaks from little acorns grow

Post by bigshot »

Here are some fun Rough Ryders I got in the mail the other day. They are: 4 blade Congress in bone (RR931), Toothpick in tobacco bone (RR982) and Jack Knife in amber jigged bone (RR921).

IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2412.JPG

Here is the surprise! https://animationresources.org/stuff/ro ... rprise.jpg https://animationresources.org/stuff/ro ... prise2.jpg
rea1eye

Re: Mighty oaks from little acorns grow

Post by rea1eye »

I really like that toothpick.

Bob
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

rea1eye wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:59 pmI really like that toothpick.
Did you click on the surprise?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

bigshot wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:43 pm
I did, but I don't know what it means? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I like the Congress. Its lanyard ring is very unusual. A large Congress has been my EDC for going to town for a while. I like handles around 4" to give me something to hang onto. The stockman blade I use most often is a sheep's foot. I open their master so infrequently that I'm not giving up much. How long is the RR931 Congress closed and how long are its sheep foot blades? I sometimes go where there is a 2 1/2" legal limit. Some Large Congresses meet that limit but some do not.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Madmarco wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm
I added a second picture that makes it a little clearer.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

bigshot wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:21 pm
Madmarco wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:14 pm

I added a second picture that makes it a little clearer.
Ahh, I get it now! ::idea:: The knives are miniatures but one couldn't tell until they were shown in scale! When I saw the pic with the apple it didn't register, but in the 2nd pic with your hand it was obvious! Now I'm surprised, thx! :o 8)
8)
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Obviously I did not click on the surprise. The shortest knives that I've bought are 2 1/2" closed Case 62154 Tiny Trappers. They are as small as I want. However, when I carry a tiny knife, meaning one under 3" closed, I use it more often than any larger knife that I'm carrying. It doesn't take much to open the mail and do quite a few other things.
bigshot

Post by bigshot »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:21 amAhh, I get it now! ::idea:: The knives are miniatures but one couldn't tell until they were shown in scale! When I saw the pic with the apple it didn't register, but in the 2nd pic with your hand it was obvious! Now I'm surprised, thx! :o 8)
Fun, huh? They might be useful to spider monkeys who get in knife fights, but I don't know how I would use them. They sure are neat. They're made just as well as the full sized ones with brass liners, bone handles and teeny tiny tang stamps. I'm amazed that they could machine a perfectly functional congress with no blade rub at all. Some companies have trouble making full size congress knives that meet that standard. Every one of these is smooth to the touch and has no gaps in the springs. Pretty good for $4 and change apiece!

When I got them I tried to figure out how to photograph them so they looked like full sized knives. I guess I did too good a job of that. No one realized they are only 2 inches closed!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

bigshot wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:22 am
Madmarco wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:21 amAhh, I get it now! ::idea:: The knives are miniatures but one couldn't tell until they were shown in scale! When I saw the pic with the apple it didn't register, but in the 2nd pic with your hand it was obvious! Now I'm surprised, thx! :o 8)
Fun, huh? They might be useful to spider monkeys who get in knife fights, but I don't know how I would use them. They sure are neat. They're made just as well as the full sized ones with brass liners, bone handles and teeny tiny tang stamps. I'm amazed that they could machine a perfectly functional congress with no blade rub at all. Some companies have trouble making full size congress knives that meet that standard. Every one of these is smooth to the touch and has no gaps in the springs. Pretty good for $4 and change apiece!

When I got them I tried to figure out how to photograph them so they looked like full sized knives. I guess I did too good a job of that. No one realized they are only 2 inches closed!
Yah, fun indeed, they are pretty amazing knives! I too find it incredible that they can make something so small yet do it to perfection. And the price was certainly right! I've eye-balled some miniature fixed blade knives before cuz something about them I find fascinating, but I've not pulled the trigger for any of them, yet! Your pictures definitely tell the story, it just didn't register for me when I saw them with the apple, but upon another look it's quite obvious! Cool little knives for the ole' collection, thx for showing them! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
eveled

Post by eveled »

OMG! What size gloves do you wear? Lol.

Return to “Rough Rider Knife Forum”