Weed & Co Cutlery

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
Nate

Weed & Co Cutlery

Post by Nate »

1st production run.
Buck-eye leaf - or not
Winchester Ohio
Collectable?
Weed & Co.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Weed & Co Cutlery

Post by Mumbleypeg »

See this older post on the same topic viewtopic.php?f=2&t=72998

Everything is “collectable” by someone - whether it is valuable is a different question.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
mightyzaa3

Post by mightyzaa3 »

these knives are already losing my attention. when the same knife ranges between $80 to $175 between dealers, something is wrong
Nate

Post by Nate »

I have read that the quality is similar to Case.
What does that mean?
Can anyone attest to the quality of these knives?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Read the thread Ken linked to above. It has all of the info about "Weed" knives.
I'm hoping they bring out 2 'lines': "Indica" and "Sativa" with names like "Kush" or "Diesel".
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I hate to be a downer on these knives, but I got two of them and I am disappointed in the fit and finish. Both knives are scratched on the pile side bolsters, one pretty badly. The blade isn’t polished very well on the top spine. The run up is awful. The stag is pretty nice but the buffalo horn has a big divot in the mark side handle. I’m sending mine back. I hope they improve the quality on the Schatt and Morgans a lot before they release them.
I don’t think these are at Case’s level of quality. Again, I hate to be a downer. I was hoping for better.
Attachments
B049E549-B33B-4D08-8048-A4C5C1763DEC.jpeg
C1EB4605-8860-4B80-A894-D6DEEBDA8185.jpeg
467F2508-58CC-4890-9D27-D537041F39C6.jpeg
AB2E4535-AEEA-4384-B65B-4EEE49C2A914.jpeg
F6F7C95A-796E-454C-B361-54BDF05A5199.jpeg
CF371F82-0B2C-41D2-AB3E-4A658834E5D4.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
mightyzaa3

Post by mightyzaa3 »

Awful looking. Is that horn really curled above the bolster? And those bolsters look like they have been in my pocket for a week or two. Do they have any blade wobble? No matter what, they need to go back. Only way they will raise quality is if the sub par ones hit them back in the face.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Sorry to read this, Mark.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

mightyzaa3 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:38 am Awful looking. Is that horn really curled above the bolster? And those bolsters look like they have been in my pocket for a week or two. Do they have any blade wobble? No matter what, they need to go back. Only way they will raise quality is if the sub par ones hit them back in the face.
No blade wobble. The horn is not curled above the bolster, I think that’s just lighting.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

1967redrider wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:04 am Sorry to read this, Mark.
Me too Randy. I was so hoping to write a glowing review, but honesty compels me to lay it out as it is.
mightyzaa3

Post by mightyzaa3 »

One dealer claims they are the same quality as Case. Missed out on what he was selling them at, price wise. No blade wobble is good in my book. That is my biggest pet peeve. Would like to test one out at the SMKW price, but after seeing all the pics, something tells me to wait.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, are the blades ground to fairly thin just above the edge ?
And, are the edges sharp as in can slice paper or shave arm hairs ?
kj
Nate

Post by Nate »

kootenay joe wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:06 pm Read the thread Ken linked to above. It has all of the info about "Weed" knives.
I'm hoping they bring out 2 'lines': "Indica" and "Sativa" with names like "Kush" or "Diesel".
kj
Sounds like a hot seller! A pruning blade would be a great fit. LOL
Nate

Post by Nate »

Can't wait to see E-bay prices....
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:55 am Mark, are the blades ground to fairly thin just above the edge ?
kj
No they are not sharp enough to shave arm hair or cut paper without tearing it. I don’t think the grind on the edge is very thin and it seems rough.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:23 pm
kootenay joe wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:55 am Mark, are the blades ground to fairly thin just above the edge ?
kj
No they are not sharp enough to shave arm hair or cut paper without tearing it. I don’t think the grind on the edge is very thin and it seems rough.
Oh dear, this is not good. I bet most people who bought these are disappointed: not very good fit and finish and dull blades.
GEC has set a high standard for made in USA knives. Any new USA company making knives will need to come close to GEC level of fit, finish and sharpness if they hope to be successful.
kj
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

kootenay joe wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:09 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:23 pm
kj
Oh dear, this is not good. I bet most people who bought these are disappointed: not very good fit and finish and dull blades.
GEC has set a high standard for made in USA knives. Any new USA company making knives will need to come close to GEC level of fit, finish and sharpness if they hope to be successful.
kj
Will be interesting to see what their actual Schatt & Morgan knives are like.
LHacken

Post by LHacken »

Yes I heard that the fit & finish is not up to par.

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”