It's official! New USA Schatt & Morgan's are coming this winter!

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
WillyCamaro

It's official! New USA Schatt & Morgan's are coming this winter!

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey folks, the rumors are true.
Gilbert Cooper has taken over S&M, moved everything to Winchester, Ohio, and is starting up production on fully Made in the USA, traditional pocket knives.
Sounds like the first knives, are going to start dropping this coming winter, eyes & ears peeled.
::ds::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: It's official! New USA Schatt & Morgan's are coming this winter!

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Great news on a comeback by an old renown American knife name. I am wondering if starting up a knife company today, in these uncertain times will result in a long lasting company. Maybe if they can use more robotics and automation, they will be able to hold the line on labor costs, which have led to the undoing of many American companies. I am trying to picture a robot making a quality knife. HMM
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:41 am Great news on a comeback by an old renown American knife name. I am wondering if starting up a knife company today, in these uncertain times will result in a long lasting company. Maybe if they can use more robotics and automation, they will be able to hold the line on labor costs, which have led to the undoing of many American companies. I am trying to picture a robot making a quality knife. HMM
Morakniv uses robotics heavily: I think that's how they can make a Swedish-made product so cheaply, but also good quality.

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Thanks for the update, i have been waiting to hear some news. I sincerely hope, as many do, that they are successful. But competition is what drives demand, and depending on many circumstances i feel that they will be successful, but time will tell. If they produce a good quality knife that is obtainable i cannot see why they won't succeed. Any further updates will be much appreciated. ::ds::
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Glad to see the name go to a line of knives built from scratch--not a mix of badge engineered Rough Riders and Bear and Son; which happened with regular Queen/Queen City after SMKW got ahold of the trademark (and SMKW pulling a Schrade/Camillus/Honk Falls/Rodgers is why I stopped buying from them--I'm totally sick of their buying up of old trademarks, and slapping it on cheap tat). I think the cutlery world needs more competition to GEC; and more choice is good. Case is good, Buck is as well. Bear and Son are too iffy with their quality. Utica, same. I can't afford GEC. Most of the tactical knifemakers are also way out of my budget. During the DFC days, especially in their later years, Queen quality had gone down the toilet. I have a few older Queens, from the '70s to the pre-DFC days, and they are all perfect. Even cheaper workhorse models are smooth.

For sure, I'm buying one when they first come out. I'm wondering; what are the patterns?
Froe

Post by Froe »

Are there plans to actually manufacture the S&M in Winchester? I live across the river and have ridden through there before. I don't remember if there were any facilities there. Aren't Bluegrass knives made nearby?
Froe
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Blue Grass never manufactured a knife. Except for a few patters their famous Case Classic line and Winchesters were made by Queen.

In defense of SMKW's use of brands that went out of business, some of my favorite traditionals are Robesons and Colonel Coons that SMKW had Queen make. I've not seen problem workmanship on either. My theory is that SMKW inspected them and returned knives that would have made it out to market if they'd been standard Queen production.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

cody6268 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:05 am Glad to see the name go to a line of knives built from scratch--not a mix of badge engineered Rough Riders and Bear and Son; which happened with regular Queen/Queen City after SMKW got ahold of the trademark (and SMKW pulling a Schrade/Camillus/Honk Falls/Rodgers is why I stopped buying from them--I'm totally sick of their buying up of old trademarks, and slapping it on cheap tat). I think the cutlery world needs more competition to GEC; and more choice is good. Case is good, Buck is as well. Bear and Son are too iffy with their quality. Utica, same. I can't afford GEC. Most of the tactical knifemakers are also way out of my budget. During the DFC days, especially in their later years, Queen quality had gone down the toilet. I have a few older Queens, from the '70s to the pre-DFC days, and they are all perfect. Even cheaper workhorse models are smooth.

For sure, I'm buying one when they first come out. I'm wondering; what are the patterns?
What are the patterns will be a question on everyone's mind. I wonder how they will work out what to begin with. What are your thoughts, and are there any patterns you would particularly like to see them make.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I want a Schatt & Morgan Railsplitter. I’d love to try a new take on that pattern.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:46 am Blue Grass never manufactured a knife. Except for a few patters their famous Case Classic line and Winchesters were made by Queen.

In defense of SMKW's use of brands that went out of business, some of my favorite traditionals are Robesons and Colonel Coons that SMKW had Queen make. I've not seen problem workmanship on either. My theory is that SMKW inspected them and returned knives that would have made it out to market if they'd been standard Queen production.

Blue Grass has made knives for several years.They do have parts for some Winchester patterns.But they hadn't had Queen make knives for quite some time.Their equipment is much more modern than what Queen had.I think you will see more and more coming from them in the future.
I hope Gilbert Cooper does well.But unless he has someone who knows how to make a folding knife,they could have some bumps along the way.
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:46 am

Pretty sure he was speaking of the Chinese-made garbage ::barf:: that now bears those old time-honored but now defiled names, not those made years ago by Queen. As you might have guessed I’m not a fan of them either.

My hope is that the new knives bearing the S&M mark will do justice and honor to the name, not use it as simply a marketing scheme.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I could go for a whittler or a harness jack.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
rarreola

Post by rarreola »

great news!
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

If they can produce a quality product, I'll gladly support the new Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Company and buy some of their knives. I'm all for anyone who can produce an American made quality knife. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

philco wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:23 am If they can produce a quality product, I'll gladly support the new Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Company and buy some of their knives. I'm all for anyone who can produce an American made quality knife. ::tu::

What Phil said ::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:46 am What are the patterns will be a question on everyone's mind. I wonder how they will work out what to begin with. What are your thoughts, and are there any patterns you would particularly like to see them make.
I think they should pull out the old (pre-Queen) Schatt & Morgan catalogs and start resurrecting some of the old patterns. And, they should be made to the same quality (or better) as a modern GEC.
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

QTCut5 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:26 am
cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:46 am What are the patterns will be a question on everyone's mind. I wonder how they will work out what to begin with. What are your thoughts, and are there any patterns you would particularly like to see them make.
I think they should pull out the old (pre-Queen) Schatt & Morgan catalogs and start resurrecting some of the old patterns. And, they should be made to the same quality (or better) as a modern GEC.
Your post makes me wish we had a Like Button here on AAPK.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

I would like to see a harness jack but doubt that will happen in the beginning runs.
My memory is not the greatest but there’s another thread where Cooper or someone else involved with this start up sheds light on the rumors, the old equipment he purchased and moving it all to the new shop. If I find it I’ll post the link.
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

texoma wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:34 am I would like to see a harness jack but doubt that will happen in the beginning runs.
My memory is not the greatest but there’s another thread where Cooper or someone else involved with this start up sheds light on the rumors, the old equipment he purchased and moving it all to the new shop. If I find it I’ll post the link.
That would be interesting. ::handshake::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

That was my thinking. Don't get to adventurous and start with some of the old designs of the early patterns knives. I would rather the old less is more theory, and do them well. But i do like the suggestions being thrown up. ::tu:: ::nod::
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

philco wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:31 am
Your post makes me wish we had a Like Button here on AAPK.
Phil, just use the thumbs up, we will all know what you mean. ::tu::
texoma
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by texoma »

cudgee wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:49 am
texoma wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:34 am I would like to see a harness jack but doubt that will happen in the beginning runs.
That would be interesting. ::handshake::
I think this is the link I was talking about, it was awhile ago, I thought there was more to it but it’s enough info from Gilbert.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62295&p=756510#p756510
Frank

Want 85 RHK Antique Walnut Jig Bone & other Harness Jacks
Trade & Buy List Link https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wtt ... s.1884432/
Retirement is a time to enjoy the things you never could before
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

philco wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:23 am If they can produce a quality product, I'll gladly support the new Schatt & Morgan Cutlery Company and buy some of their knives. I'm all for anyone who can produce an American made quality knife. ::tu::
I agree, 100%! ::ds::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Are there unemployed experienced cutlers in the vicinity of this factory ? To make good quality folding knives you need skilled employees.
kj
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Perhaps management and some of the line workers should go to Sweden
to see their line up. Everything said in the video seems to be spot
on for a company to be a success, I hope it really works out
well for them.

Bob

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”