Early Schatt & Morgan Tang Stamps

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
58chevy348

Early Schatt & Morgan Tang Stamps

Post by 58chevy348 »

Just got this knife in. The tang reads (first line) "Schatt & Morgan" (second line) "Cutlery Co" (third line) "Titusville PA." From my research, there were several stamps in their early years. Any idea what time period they used this three line stamping? I'm also wondering if this knife had celluloid handles originally. I think this one is worth saving, but not sure what kind of handle to go with. Thanks for looking!
RalphAlsip

Re: Early Schatt & Morgan Tang Stamps

Post by RalphAlsip »

This likely won't be helpful because you are probably looking for a narrower range of years. But just in case... S&M was making knives in Titusville from 1902 to around 1930. I have a coke bottle knife with the same marking. If it had a Gowanda mark then it would be made between 1897 and 1902.
Attachments
Schatt & Morgan Tang Stamp
Schatt & Morgan Tang Stamp

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”