Schatt & Morgan advertising shield Jack

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
Duffer

Schatt & Morgan advertising shield Jack

Post by Duffer »

I just got this Schatt & Morgan Jack. It is 3.75 inches closed, has full blades and is in excellent condition albeit probably cleaned. At first I wasn't even sure if it was a real or authentic Schatt and Morgan vintage folder--it just looked to good to be true. Who then could have produced this Jack if recently or not in the to distant past and tang stamped it Schatt & Morgan? I thought perhaps it was a Queen produced folder from the Schatt & Morgan series they introduced in the early 90's. I looked at a lot of them with the exact same tang stamp but none like this one. So I proceeded to dive into the forums doing searches under Schatt & Morgan but found nothing at first. There was some nice vintage Jacks but none like this one I just got.

Then right here on AAPK I found some posts about David Clark a well known Schatt & Morgan and Queen Cutlery expert, collector and historian. So I did a search on his name and found an interesting thread titled "Red Goose Shoes" by member bkazz5 from June 2014. He had posted a photo of a Jack that was the same configuration as mine asking if anyone could confirm its originality. It has a Red Goose Advertising shield not like my long narrow rectangular style shield. Still, the rest of the knife was identical to mine. I was intrigued and kept reading into page 2 of the thread. There was this, I believe, email response shared by bkazz5 from David Clark confirming that he was of the opinion that it was an original Schatt & Morgan Jack. Further, Mr. Clark attached to his response some photos of several of his vintage Schatt & Morgan Jacks. WOW, there it was the same exact Jack! Same worm groove bone handles, same long pull running into the tang, same blade configuration, same swedges, same pin placement, same shield type--SAME exact Jack. Only exception was what was engraved or stamped on Shield. His says something about elevators. Mine reads "Quality Tells-Specify Vestai" whatever that means? At first I thought it said "Quality Tells-Specify Vespa" proving you see what you want to see sometimes. Vespa scooters weren't introduced until the late 40s so that couldn't be right since this Schatt & Morgan would have been produced prior to 1933 and upon closer examination reads as above anyway. I want to thank bkazz for his persistent investigation of his advertising shield Schatt & Morgan Jack which helped me confirm the originality of mine! Any further insight anyone here can add will be welcomed and appreciated. Happy Holidays, Lloyd

Here is the original thread on the Red Goose Schatt & Morgan Jack
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... avid+Clark

Also attached is the photo from Mr. Clark showing a few of his Schatt & Morgan Jacks. The middle one is just like mine.

Sent from my iPad
Attachments
DSCF1259.JPG
DSCF1257.JPG
DSCF1258.JPG
DSCF1260.JPG
DSCF1261.JPG
IMG_0832.JPG
Lloyd
FRJ

Re: Schatt & Morgan advertising shield Jack

Post by FRJ »

What a great looking knife that is, Lloyd. Love those big 3 3/4" jacks. ::tu::
Great research. ::tu::
Joe
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

What a fortuitous find. She's a beauty. Congratulations.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Beautiful knife! You won't find worm-groove Rogers bone like that on any modern knife. That's some of the best I've ever seen. ::tu::

Ken

Edit: please post pictures of your knife over in the Rogers bone thread http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ogers+bone
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Superlative jack, Lloyd! ::tu:: That is a fantastic find, congratulations.
Dan
Dan
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Thanks Joe, Jerry, Ken and Dan--appreciate the nice comments!! Happy Holidays, Lloyd
Lloyd
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Duffer wrote:I just got this Schatt & Morgan Jack. It is 3.75 inches closed, has full blades and is in excellent condition albeit probably cleaned. At first I wasn't even sure if it was a real or authentic Schatt and Morgan vintage folder--it just looked to good to be true. Who then could have produced this Jack if recently or not in the to distant past and tang stamped it Schatt & Morgan? I thought perhaps it was a Queen produced folder from the Schatt & Morgan series they introduced in the early 90's. I looked at a lot of them with the exact same tang stamp but none like this one. So I proceeded to dive into the forums doing searches under Schatt & Morgan but found nothing at first. There was some nice vintage Jacks but none like this one I just got.

Then right here on AAPK I found some posts about David Clark a well known Schatt & Morgan and Queen Cutlery expert, collector and historian. So I did a search on his name and found an interesting thread titled "Red Goose Shoes" by member bkazz5 from June 2014. He had posted a photo of a Jack that was the same configuration as mine asking if anyone could confirm its originality. It has a Red Goose Advertising shield not like my long narrow rectangular style shield. Still, the rest of the knife was identical to mine. I was intrigued and kept reading into page 2 of the thread. There was this, I believe, email response shared by bkazz5 from David Clark confirming that he was of the opinion that it was an original Schatt & Morgan Jack. Further, Mr. Clark attached to his response some photos of several of his vintage Schatt & Morgan Jacks. WOW, there it was the same exact Jack! Same worm groove bone handles, same long pull running into the tang, same blade configuration, same swedges, same pin placement, same shield type--SAME exact Jack. Only exception was what was engraved or stamped on Shield. His says something about elevators. Mine reads "Quality Tells-Specify Vestai" whatever that means? At first I thought it said "Quality Tells-Specify Vespa" proving you see what you want to see sometimes. Vespa scooters weren't introduced until the late 40s so that couldn't be right since this Schatt & Morgan would have been produced prior to 1933 and upon closer examination reads as above anyway. I want to thank bkazz for his persistent investigation of his advertising shield Schatt & Morgan Jack which helped me confirm the originality of mine! Any further insight anyone here can add will be welcomed and appreciated. Happy Holidays, Lloyd

Here is the original thread on the Red Goose Schatt & Morgan Jack
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... avid+Clark
I'm resurrecting this thread because I acquired an original S&M that has the Titusville stamp from 1903-1932. I couldn't find a thread on original S&M knives in the Knife Lore section.

Lloyd, your advertising knife is wonderful, especially with the worm groove Rogers bone. Just outstanding!

Mine is not an advertising shield version... but is a 3-5/8" equal end jack, that has a streamline construction, i.e. flat bolsters. It is tang stamped on the spear master as Schatt&Morgan, over Cutlery Co, over Titusville PA. This is allegedly 1903 - 1932. This knife originally was owned by Steve P (knifeaholic) and he authenticated it's originality and it made its way to me, through another AAPK member. The amazing thing about this knife, is the blade polish and condition for its age. It does not appear to have been buffed by a collector and it makes me wonder if it is an early example of stainless steel being used. You can tell from my photos that it has been used and there are some scratches on the master, but other than that, it is in remarkable condition. The only exceptions are, there is a tight crack in the bone to the center pin, on each side.... and there is some warp to the brass liner on the secondary blade side.

Thanks for looking! and if more originals are out there, post them up! I'd like to see them.
Attachments
DSC_9247.JPG
DSC_9248.JPG
DSC_9245.JPG
DSC_9246.JPG
DSC_9236.JPG
DSC_9244.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Beautiful bone on that one Dave! ::tu:: And a great example of a swedged false edge on the master.

Great find, and story to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

::tu::
AAPK Janitor
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Thanks Gents!

I forgot to post that the secondary blade has a pattern #1096.

I know information is scarce on these knives... but if you know something, even if you think it is insignificant, please post it!
Attachments
DSC_9242.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Very nice, Dave, great old jack! ::tu::
Dan
Dan