Schatt & Morgan 1895-1931??

Schatt & Morgan knives were first manufacturer back in 1890. The Queen Cutlery company made most of the more recent examples, but Schatt had its own plant in its earlier years that cranked out the oldies. There is no shortage of fantastic Schatt & Morgan knives in existance that have been made over the brand's long & storied history.
LongBlade

Schatt & Morgan 1895-1931??

Post by LongBlade »

I have read abit of history on S&M knives from the early days and it is quite interesting. My question is "why are the original Schatt & Morgan knives considered highly collectable? Are they rare on the market or is it that they were just considered well made? Finally when Queen took over the company did the tang stamp change from S-M Titusville PA to Queen (or did Queen continue with the S-M stamp)? To the last question - I read Queen continued to make their knives but did the tang stamp change in 1931?

S&M knives stray abit from my trying to focus my collection on New England makers and especially CT but I did live in PA once for 8 years (maybe I should say I like Northeast makers LOL)... I think I have an attention disorder in collecting at times... especially when it comes to interesting history and I see a knife I like :wink: ...

Thanks guys - you said I could ask alot of questions when I joined - hope you don't mind but you guys have been very helpful ::tu::

Lee
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schatt & Morgan 1895-1931??

Post by peanut740 »

To answer your first question original S&M are both rare and well made.After Schatt & Morgan went bankrupt Queen bought them at auction and discontinued using the Schatt & Morgan mark until much later when some old marks were reissued.
Roger
LongBlade

Re: Schatt & Morgan 1895-1931??

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks peanut740!! It's possible a mystery knife may be coming my way and think it is an old original S&M :wink: ... Will only know when I see it.

Lee

Return to “Schatt & Morgan Knife Collector's Forum”