Dowell labeled pen knife

Keen Kutter was first used as a knife brand by Simmons Hardware Company in 1870. The trademark was used on the highest quality tools and cutlery Simmons offered.
Jason Dowell

Dowell labeled pen knife

Post by Jason Dowell »

Wondering if anyone knows about the Dowell name on these knives. I came across this one and purchased today, as my last name is on it. After a little research it seems more common than not.
Attachments
A2DFDDBE-82C5-4347-BC2E-ED89F79E685B.jpeg
msteele6

Re: Dowell labeled pen knife

Post by msteele6 »

There used to be a Dowell Company whose logo I often saw in Houston (the Dowell inside of a Diamond, as on your knife). I think they had something to do with oil well services. Probably merged with another oil field service company at some point.
Jason Dowell

Post by Jason Dowell »

Thanks this appears to check out as correct. Always good to know the history. Other than that pinpointing the date is still a curiosity. Appreciate you getting back to me
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Jason,

Dowell is actually a subsidiary of Dow Chemical that's involved in oil field services (Dow-well, very creative wording! That's why they make the big bucks. :D ) and formed in 1960. They're in partnership with Schlumberger with the actual full name of the company being Dowell Schlumberger.

Eric

Return to “Keen Kutter”