Old Keen Kutter Knives

Keen Kutter was first used as a knife brand by Simmons Hardware Company in 1870. The trademark was used on the highest quality tools and cutlery Simmons offered.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Old Keen Kutter Knives

Post by JohnR »

danno50 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:38 pm Very interesting knife, John. I will be very interested in what you think once you have the knife. Sellens does list a K3738, Wharncliffe whittler, at 4 1/8" with a stag (bone) handle, and 2 pen blades. From the pictures, it appears as if the knife may have been rehandled??

I was thinking that Dan but if you were going to rehandle it why use that type of celluloid unless it was done a long time ago. This is definitely one of those knives I bought out of curiosity and I love the pattern.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

JohnR wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:53 pm
danno50 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:38 pm Very interesting knife, John. I will be very interested in what you think once you have the knife. Sellens does list a K3738, Wharncliffe whittler, at 4 1/8" with a stag (bone) handle, and 2 pen blades. From the pictures, it appears as if the knife may have been rehandled??

I was thinking that Dan but if you were going to rehandle it why use that type of celluloid unless it was done a long time ago. This is definitely one of those knives I bought out of curiosity and I love the pattern.
I wasn't sure of the handle material, celluloid was my first thought. However, it could be micarta?? Definitely looking forward to your in hand assessment once you have it. I also love the pattern. In terms of length, I have an IXL Wharncliffe whittler which measures in at 4 1/4" closed.
Dan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

JohnR wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:31 pm Thank you all for the comments ::tu:: ::tu:: If this thing is 4" it will be one of the largest Wharncliffe Whittlers I've seen, most of the vintage ones seem to be 3" to 3 1/2".
Reminds me of a Case Seahorse. Excellent score amigo, that is a looker and great condition and striking to look at. Grabs attention.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

John ::tu::
Roger
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

danno50 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:05 pm

I wasn't sure of the handle material, celluloid was my first thought. However, it could be micarta?? Definitely looking forward to your in hand assessment once you have it. I also love the pattern. In terms of length, I have an IXL Wharncliffe whittler which measures in at 4 1/4" closed.

Thanks for all the info danno, always appreciate it. Saw this KK and was very taken by the bones and condition but was wondering what you thought of this? Authentic or counterfeit? Seems the seller has a bad reputation for tainted or faked knives. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-E-C-SI ... 4610158898
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

[/quote]
Thanks for all the info danno, always appreciate it. Saw this KK and was very taken by the bones and condition but was wondering what you thought of this? Authentic or counterfeit? Seems the seller has a bad reputation for tainted or faked knives. Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

[/quote]

There is an active topic on this seller in Counterfeit Watch right now. Can't tell for sure, but, it looks like spun pins, especially the spring pin. There is no pattern number on it, which I believe makes it fairly early. I have never seen a KK without a pattern number with spun pins. Based on that, and especially on the seller, I would not buy it.
Dan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Thanks danno, appreciate it big time. Didn't consider the pins, and should have, thanks for that clue. Wonder if this guy ever does real ones or all fakes? Sad, but I get it. Thanks again.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Ivoryman wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:20 am
danno50 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:05 pm

Iman, another thing I notice about this guys knives is he has a lot of knives with poorly struck tang stamps, they will not be square, there are several examples including this one for sale right now that have questionable tang stamps.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

I haven't seen enough stamps to tell if they are square or not. Did not notice that at all since it looks right to me. Looks so well worn I thought the stamp was legit and other stuff was the fake. But can't thank you enough for any tips you have on spotting the fakes out there. Great education and good to know this stuff. Thanks again and you too danno. Really appreciate you guys clueing us up to this kind of stuff. He has another I keep looking at, a Queen, that really turns me on too, but the stamp doesn't look right to me. Looks like a different type set and looks cold stamped. Now I'm gun shy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-QUEEN- ... 4736748329

Also have been looking at old Tested era stuff and to me, in my limited observations, this stamp doesn't look right at all and is so rubbed out it would be seemingly easier to fake given the wear making it less clear. Fake too? Looks off to me. Thanks again guys.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CASE-T ... SwfCZgQBcU
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

The Keen Kutter Wharncliffe Whittler showed up today and it is a stunning knife, not sure if this is MOP celluloid or cracked ice cell but it is really pretty. Knife is 4 1/8" which makes it large for this pattern, appears to be unused.
Dan, the closest one in Sellens book is K3738 as you stated but there is no mention of being available in celluloid.
Attachments
IMG_3200.jpeg
IMG_3202.jpeg
IMG_3204.jpeg
IMG_3205.jpeg
IMG_3207.jpeg
IMG_3209.jpeg
IMG_3213.jpeg
IMG_3214.jpeg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

JohnR wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:21 pm The Keen Kutter Wharncliffe Whittler showed up today and it is a stunning knife, not sure if this is MOP celluloid or cracked ice cell but it is really pretty. Knife is 4 1/8" which makes it large for this pattern, appears to be unused.
Dan, the closest one in Sellens book is K3738 as you stated but there is no mention of being available in celluloid.

I LOVE this knife!!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

JohnR wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:21 pm The Keen Kutter Wharncliffe Whittler showed up today and it is a stunning knife, not sure if this is MOP celluloid or cracked ice cell but it is really pretty. Knife is 4 1/8" which makes it large for this pattern, appears to be unused.
Beautiful knife 👍🤝😁
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Keen Kutter Barlow
Attachments
IMG_6387.JPG
David
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful knife, John! ::tu:: ::tu:: Simmons did not put out catalogs in 1905, 1906, 1907, 1909, 1910, or 1911. Perhaps your knife was produced in a year when Simmons did not put out a catalog, and therefor would not have made it into Sellens?? It is lovely celluloid, in great condition.
Dan
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Nice barlow, David. ::tu:: Lovely caramel coloured bone.
Dan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Congrats, even better looking than seller pics. Beautiful all around. Got the drool going now.
wlf

Post by wlf »

We love those big wharncliffes.Excellent knife.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

danno50 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:22 am Nice barlow, David. ::tu:: Lovely caramel coloured bone.
Thank you Dan.
David
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Today, this pocket knife joined my collection. It's a KEEN KUTTER 786, 3 blade, swelled center, milled liners, 3 5/8" closed, "whittler" pocket knife. The only difference, that I can see, between the KEEN KUTTER 786 and the KEEN KUTTER K30, is that the 786 has milled liners and the K30 doesn't. The main blade has seen better days. This KEEN KUTTER pattern doesn't make an appearance that often, so I bought it. It will still make a good filler until a better one surfaces. It needed cleaning. I cleaned it up a little, took some pictures and here it is.
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.

Here's the link to my two (so far), KEEN KUTTER K30 pocket knives:
viewtopic.php?f=119&t=67828

Or here:
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=62956&start=510#p824920
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

doglegg wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:16 pm ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you Floyd.🍻

Skip
msteele6

Post by msteele6 »

Nice one! :)
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

msteele6 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:44 am Nice.....
Thank you.🍻

Skip
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Very Kool Skip!!!👍💎👍
John 🤠
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

jmh58 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:15 pm Very.....
Thank you John.🍻

Skip

Return to “Keen Kutter”