Compass knife

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
Jacknifeben

Compass knife

Post by Jacknifeben »

Cattaraugus 12839 Lock Back. Looks like some one bought this knife new and tried to cut a hole in the beautiful worm grooved bone and put a under sized compass in the hole. Sure wish I had the chunk of bone. I have an original big compass that would fit in the hole. Any one have enough skill, nerve to work on this knife? I have another one to compare.
Attachments
7F9F4013-91E5-4A2B-981B-99F837BF4400.jpeg
584FB4AE-A9EF-47A0-84F8-455F370C655B.jpeg
Jacknifeben

Re: Compass knife

Post by Jacknifeben »

Some one a long time ago bought this knife new and wanted to put a compass in the bone. The bone lost a big piece and the compass was a smaller size. Any ideas on what to do this terrible blunder. I do have a original size compass.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Not positive on this but it could be original. I have two Catts with compasses, a black bone standard Scout and a Scout Junior. J.O'.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

If you want perfect, you will need to find a jigged bone slab large enough, and with matching jigging. Quite difficult, but look at what Culpepper has and you might find something acceptable. If you aren't looking for perfect, I would patch the missing chunk of bone with epoxy that has been dyed to match the color of the bone and do your own jigging with a rotary tool. While you are at it, I would fill in the gap around the compass with epoxy and accept less than perfect. Or you could remove the existing compass (just warm it up with a heat gun and you should be able to pry it out). Remove all the existing adhesive, whatever it is, and use whatever tool you use to cut shield inlays (I use a carbide dental tool in my rotary tool) to correct and enlarge the hole to fit your larger compass. Clean both surfaces properly, apply a glob of epoxy, and you should be good to go.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Thanks for the reply. Probably hard to believe but I have bought and sold knives for close to 50 years and have never worked on one. I think the right person could make this a very expensive knife, but not me.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The blade looks excellent, Jkb. Hope you can find a parts knife with a nice bone scale. Can't grow bone or metal back unfortunately . . . yet. It will be interesting to see how 3-D printers evolve.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”