Identification help please

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
Red37

Identification help please

Post by Red37 »

I picked this knife up today it is really nice condition but the knife model is not legible due to a poor stamp. Can anyone tell me what model it is and what this celluloid material was called?
3E498BAA-B6DF-4E6F-A4D0-4217230F2C96.jpeg
2CDD01B4-892C-4892-942E-7DDE7FECFEEC.jpeg
Ridgegrass

Re: Identification help please

Post by Ridgegrass »

Red: I have the same knife with the same handle material and a spear blade and it is stamped 22187. The 2's indicate 2 blades and 2 bolsters. The 18 is a "serpentine stock jack". The fifth number should be a 4 on both yours and mine for that handle material, celluloid. The C denotes the "clip" main blade.
I can't see the fifth number in your stamp but it doesn't look like a 4. So, it's a bit of a mystery. Maybe factory mistakes?
The handle codes(5th digit) are:
0=metal or iron, 5=genuine stag
1=white fiberloid, 6=ebony
2=French pearl/tortoise shell, 7=cocoabolo
3=genuine pearl , 8=white bone
4=celluloid/colored fiberloid, 9=bone, Rogers jigged

Anyway, it's a nice knife in nice condition and I've seen number variations before. Good luck with it. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4039.JPG
Red37

Post by Red37 »

Thank you for your response! I have looked in ever reference guide I have as well as plenty of internet research. Unless the knife is stamped wrong I don’t think it exists😂. It appears to me to say 22158C but the 5 and 8 are not good stamps at all.
Seanstewart085

Post by Seanstewart085 »

Cattaraugus was notorious for just throwing whatever on whatever frame they fit. There's thousands upon thousands of Cattaraugus that don't even have a pattern number stamped on them. They can be hard to figure out and date. Great knives and solely what I collected for lots of years. C Houston price 4th or 5th edition has the most pattern numbers and pictures to kinda find the patterns they built. Not all but much more than any other books out there.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

1) I agree with you Sean. I have a few Catts with confusing pattern stamps.
2) Here's a catalog reprint from Dewey P. Ferguson's book of the OP knife.
Still a cool "Catt", Red. This is what makes collecting fun! J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4048.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Nice old Catt, looks like it's been barely used, nice full, pristine blades. Cool scale color too. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Red37

Post by Red37 »

Thanks everyone for the responses. I love Cattaraugus knives I live near Buffalo, NY which is only about an hour from Little Valley, NY. I have had many Cattaraugus knives over the years but have usually been easily able to identify the model with the help of the guides and the internet. This one stumped me a bit. It really is in amazing condition. I bought three knives from the same gentleman the one pictured, a liner lock, and an easy open.

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”