Little Help Please

The Cattaraugus Cutlery Company was started by John Champlin and his son Tint in 1882. It was first incorporated under the name J.B.F. Champlin and Son as a wholesale distribution company based in Little Valley, New York. The business proved to be a successful endeavor, and it soon branched into a knife production company named Cattaraugus.
Red37

Little Help Please

Post by Red37 »

Can anyone give me information about this knife. I purchased it recently at a local gun show. I like Cattaraugus knives because they were made about 1 1/2 from where I live. I was able to locate some information based on the number on the knife. I assume is a Cigar style. I found a few on EBay and the mention of this model on the Cattaraugus collectors site but the shield was not the same. If anyone could give me an approximate age or any other information about the knife I would appreciate it. Thanks Josh
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Little Help Please

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like old jigged bone to me, here's the picture Price & Zalesky have and Voyles.
Attachments
IMG_20210817_202655917.jpg
IMG_20210817_203057966.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Red37

Post by Red37 »

Does the difference in the shield mean anything. I keep finding examples like the one you posted but I can’t seem to find one with this style. Can the shield help date the knife?
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Catt made knives in the same patterns with shields, without, and with different shields. I've never found information relating to dates and shields. Here's a reprint of a 1920's catalog with a 22919 with the fancy shield, filed bolsters, and an etched blade with a price from twenty years ago. Those prices are for stone mint examples. Yours is a nice example but has been "cleaned" quite a bit. Prices go down quickly for lots of reasons like cleaning, etc. I don't venture into values and I'm always amused when authors do. That market has too many variables ! Nice knife, good luck with it. J.O.
Attachments
IMG_3367.jpg
Red37

Post by Red37 »

Awesome I appreciate the information!

Return to “Cattaraugus Cutlery Collector's Forum”