Ian Tyson

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass

Ian Tyson

Post by Ridgegrass »

Canadian Folkster and writer Ian Tyson passed Dec.29th at age 89. He was a great writer and performer and half of the duo, "Ian and Sylvia" (Fricker) in the 60's. He wrote "Summer Wages","Four Strong Winds" and "Someday Soon" and had a TV show in Canada for maybe 5 years. He started out as a rodeo cowboy and turned to full time music after and injury.
As a kid learning to play I considered him one of my heroes and influences. The great Tony Rice did beautiful recordings of"Summer Wages" and " Four Strong Winds". Rest In Peace Ian, Thanks for the music.

J.O'.
Gunsil

Re: Ian Tyson

Post by Gunsil »

I had read that in the news, he certainly had a good long run!! I used to have an Ian and Sylvia record, great harmonies. Neil Young also did a great version of "Four Strong Winds", and since I read this post last night I haven't been able to get that haunting melody out of my head. I think one of the best Canadian singer/songwriters was Stan Rogers who sadly died very young in 1983. I was raised on folk music, still one of my favorite genres.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’ve been Ian Tyson fan for longer than I can recall, and an even bigger fan of Tom Russell who is one of Ian Tyson’s disciples. Two folk poets extraordinaire. A few years ago Tom recorded an Ian and Sylvia tribute album, dedicated to their songs.

R.I.P.

Ken
Attachments
Ian & Sylvia, painting by Tom Russell
Ian & Sylvia, painting by Tom Russell
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Stan Rogers was a great one. His recording of "Christmas In The Trenches" is so well done. He certainly died way too young. J.O'.
chickenman62

Post by chickenman62 »

Cowboyography and Old Corrals & Sagebrush were two of my favorites by Ian.Check them out.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Willie, I've been singing that song and performing it in bands for 60 years. Its "evergreen" as they say.. John
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yesir John, it is one of the good ones, to say the least.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “The Music Forum”