Roland White passes

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass

Roland White passes

Post by Ridgegrass »

Mandolin, guitar player, singer, Roland White passed April 1st at 83. Brother of Clarence White of the Byrds, Roland played guitar for Bill Monroe, mandolin for Lester Flatt, and rejoined his brother in the New Kentucky Colonels. Subsequent bands were the Country Gazette and The Nashville Bluegrass Band. He was a great fixture in Bluegrass for 60 years. R.I.P. Roland. J.O'.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Roland White passes

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Like the song says, “who’s gonna fill their shoes?” RIP.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

If you Google "bands on the Andy Griffith show" you'll see the local Mayberry band called the Country Boys.(actually The Kentucky Colonels) They were: Roland White on mandolin, Eric White on bass, and Clarence White on guitar, Billy Ray Latham on 5-string and Leroy Mack on second guitar. The other band, The Darlings were in reality, The Dillards.
Clarence White was tragically killed by a car. He was in the Byrds with David Crosby and Roger McGuinn and his flat picking style was a great influence on Tony Rice.
Just some music trivia. J.O.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ridgegrass wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:25 pm If you Google "bands on the Andy Griffith show" you'll see the local Mayberry band called the Country Boys.(actually The Kentucky Colonels) They were: Roland White on mandolin, Eric White on bass, and Clarence White on guitar, Billy Ray Latham on 5-string and Leroy Mack on second guitar. The other band, The Darlings were in reality, The Dillards.
Clarence White was tragically killed by a car. He was in the Byrds with David Crosby and Roger McGuinn and his flat picking style was a great influence on Tony Rice.
Just some music trivia. J.O.

Thanks for the info, J.O'. I watch Andy Griffith daily and will keep an eye out for this band now. I love the Darlings episodes, those guys can play!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Great. See you on the 14th in Berlin? O'.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Ridgegrass wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:14 pm Great. See you on the 14th in Berlin? O'.

I think Herb and I are trying to come up with a plan. ::tu::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Not hard:
1. Pack knives and put in car
2. Get in car
3. Put Windmill Creek Winery in GPS.
4. Go
5/14 12-5 p.m.
Really hope to see you.
Remember there is a guy coming with 21 Randall's to sell. I'm actually going to seel a few too.
J.O'.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

My wife just Googled Roland White and the Kentucky Colonels. I watch Andy Griffith often but don't remember these guys. But I'll keep an eye out for them now.

And as it turns out, my wife will be out of town the weekend of May 14th. So if Herb's game I'm game. ::nod::

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

They were called the Country Boys when they played the show. I Googled "bands on the Andy Griffith show" and a picture of them came up.

Good news on My 14th. Bring a table and set up. Show or sell, free. ::tu:: J.O'.

Return to “The Music Forum”