Beautiful Guild

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Beautiful Guild

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thought maybe some of you pickers might like this. It's a 1982 Guild F-50-RNT, jumbo sized acoustic. I found it in a guitar shop in Salisbury,MD and traded my 1960 Gibson L-50 arch top for it. I don't play "arch-top" rhythms much anymore and I wanted a "Jumbo" for a long time. A Gibson J-200 is a bit pricey for me so I did the trade. She's Indian Rosewood with a spruce top of wonderfully even grain. The fret markers are mother of pearl with abalone inserts. Beautiful cherry red center stripe in the neck

The pic of the 23rd Psalm painted on the case tells you it was truly owned by a woman who only "Drove it to church on Sundays". The woman bought it new in 1982 in Baltimore for $1100 and played at her church in Quantico, MD for years until she was unable to. The instruments is absolutely pristine and plays like warm butter.

Guild is a "small" New England builder (compared to Martin and Gibson), but their quality is A-1. The great Hoyt Axton played one of these and you'll see some Nashville studio rhythm guys use the F-50 too. The chop is almost piano-like and a great vocal accompaniment, great for solo or duo gigs.

If you're in the market for a nice, used instrument, the old Guilds are really nice and can usually be had a little more reasonably than Martins or Gibsons.
Hope you enjoy seeing this one. Keep pickin'. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4063.jpg
IMG_4065.jpg
IMG_4064.jpg
IMG_4066.jpg
IMG_4059.JPG
IMG_4060.jpg
IMG_4061.jpg
IMG_4062.jpg
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Beautiful Guild

Post by philco »

She's a beauty! ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Phil, blessed to have it. J.O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Very nice John!

Guild's are pretty sweet acoustics, She's a mighty fine example of them.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I know nothing about guitars, but that one of yours has some fine embellishments appointed to it.
The Spruce is especially nice. It appears deep from front to back; Is that why it's referred to as jumbo?
It is a beauty. It would be fun to hear you play it.
Joe
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

FRJ The "Jumbo" name is used today for the large, figure-8 shape as opposed to the square shouldered "Dreadnaught of Martin. Gibson's first "Jumbo" was introduced in 1935 and was similar to the Martin but with rounded shoulders. Then, in December 1937 Gibson presented Ray Whitley with the first "Super Jumbo" made with his design guidance. The Super Jumbo was much larger and deeper than the regular Jumbo and was used by all the 'Singing Cowboys" of the movies like Gene Autry, Almost every star up till now has used an SJ-200 including: Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash, Elvis, Vince Gill, Ranger Doug, the Everly Brothers and scores more. Sometime after WWII Gibson changed the name to just J-200, but all guitars of that large, figure-8 shape and dimensions, from any maker are now called "Jumbo". They are mostly used for vocal accompaniment as opposed to lead, though they are sometimes used for lead, (melody), work.
TOP : The original round-shouldered Gibson"Jumbo"
BOTTOM: "Super Jumbo" (nowadays the shape referred to as JUMBO.
Pics don't show the actual size difference. Hope that explains it. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_4069.jpg
IMG_4068.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, J. O`., I can certainly see the very large size of the guitar. That's quite a music box.
Joe

Return to “The Music Forum”