Legacy from an old friend

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass

Legacy from an old friend

Post by Ridgegrass »

Bill and I went to high school together. He was a totally eclectic player of nearly any stringed instrument and lots of others. We lost him to leukemia two years ago. His daughter found a trove of instruments and electronics in his house.She's spent over a year trying to catalog and value them. There are hundreds of items from banjos to ukuleles, amps, and even a "Kazooka". (An electric pickup with a socket that holds a kazoo and plugs into an amp!) There's also an original 1937, D'Angelico A-1 archtop that some collector is going to die for.
Anyway, she knew his friend Mel and I would appreciate having something of Bill's so she gifted Mel a 1925 "Supertone" parlor guitar from Sears, and a 1969 Harmony "Sovereign" Dreadnought to me . They both need a little luthier work but they are treasures. The Harmony was the poor man's Martin back in the 50's and 60's and they are great sounding axes. You can see from the pics it's in pristine condition. Thought maybe you pickers might enjoy them.

God bless you Bill and thanks Beth. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3243.jpg
IMG_3248.jpg
IMG_2056 (2).jpg
tongueriver

Re: Legacy from an old friend

Post by tongueriver »

I don't have a musical bone in my body; one of my biggest regrets in life. I have a very nice fiddle gathering dust. :( Anyway, thanks for showing- I am happy for you. ::tu:: Tony Rice and Norman Blake would approve!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Like Cal, I don’t have a bit of musical talent. My only contribution is listening and enjoying almost all types of music, and envying those who produce it. I also appreciate fine craftsmanship, so I thank you for sharing those beautiful instruments. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

8) ::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Niiiiiiiice!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Beautiful. Glad you have something so nice to remember him by.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks all. "Rux" was a neat guy. Music brought us together on and off for 56 years.
Here's a shot of a "hootenanny" on the beach in Ocean City, MD summer of 1963. I'm in the straw hat sitting down, Mel Silberzahn is standing with the banjo. I think Rux is to the left of the girl and facing the boardwalk. Like it was yesterday. :D :D J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_3310.jpg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

T-River: Maybe you know this. Tony Rice did an album called "TONE POEMS" with David Grisman on mandolin. They took very old American guitars and mandolins and recorded some period tunes and some written for the project. The instruments are not all top of the line like Gibson and Martin but they really sound great. Many of the old American guitars were built when fine materials were readily available and good craftsmen built them. To think that many of the instruments like those could be bought mail-order for really cheap prices, even for their time, is amazing. The album is a beautifully produced tribute to their beauty and musical legacy. They belong to our American musical heritage and those of us lucky enough to care for them, albeit temporarily, will pass them on. Hope everyone can take a listen. ::tu::

J.O'.

Return to “The Music Forum”