R.I.P. TONY RICE

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
Ridgegrass

R.I.P. TONY RICE

Post by Ridgegrass »

One of the greatest ever, flat top pickers, singers and innovators of Bluegrass and Americana. I heard he died suddenly on Christmas day at home in Reidsville N.C. Tony was a tremendous influence on me and any Bluegrass picker. His style was the beginning of "to the wall" guitar playing in Bluegrass. His rhythm stroke is the standard for Bluegrass. Tony played with J.D.Crowe and the New South on their landmark, 1975 album, and led the "Bluegrass Album Band" on their fabulous recordings. He had many solo albums and partnered with mandolinist David Grisman on their "Dawg" music. He brought the 16 year old Allison Krause on tour and showed her to the world. His vocals were impeccable, rich and perfectly timed. Sadly he lost that voice and could barely speak at shows but he still could make his Martin sing for him.
If you're a guitar player of any sort and never heard him, treat yourself to some of his music. You'll understand.
So sad to lose this great artist at 69. Heaven gained a new star. So long old Pal. ::teary_eyes:: J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2065.jpg
IMG_2067.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: R.I.P. TONY RICE

Post by btrwtr »

Sad news. RIP Mr Rice.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

It's a good thing I was able to stream Tony and Norman Blake all these years. If I had them on vinyl I would have worn out a dozen platters each. We will miss you but you won't be forgotten.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... t-1107829/
cjm415

Post by cjm415 »

Saw him many times...his guitar picking was beyond amazing.
He will be missed by fans, friends and family.
Left us too soon but may he Rest In Peace.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

TR: That cut in your Rolling Stone link of "Church Street Blues" is iconic Tony Rice. Thanks. Hope everybody watches and listens. There are so many great pickers nowadays but every one of them pays homage to Tony. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2069.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:31 pm TR: That cut in your Rolling Stone link of "Church Street Blues" is iconic Tony Rice. Thanks. Hope everybody watches and listens. There are so many great pickers nowadays but every one of them pays homage to Tony. J.O'.
Yes it's mighty fine; not to take away from Tony, but do listen to Norman Blake's version as well.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Absolutely!! They're both in the Pantheon of Picker Gods! Tony owed a lot to Norman's writing. (Also Lightfoot's) J.O'.
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:31 pm TR: That cut in your Rolling Stone link of "Church Street Blues" is iconic Tony Rice. Thanks. Hope everybody watches and listens. There are so many great pickers nowadays but every one of them pays homage to Tony. J.O'.
More pics of that guitar?
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Tony_Wood. It's a 1959 D-18, #170759. Bought it about 20 years ago in terrible shape. None of the scars on it are of my doing. The original rosewood bridge was split and lifted, tearing wood from the top. Steve Cunnigham at Baltimore Bluegrass Shop (now closed) made a new bridge for it. Over the years it pulled up again due to the loss of wood from the original damage. I just got it back this summer from Jeff Hostetter of "Stringed Instrument Repair" in Red Lion, PA. He is a master luthier and I highly recommend him, minimally invasive. I wish you pickers could hear and play the old girl. It is a canon! Plays like butter and holds string tone longer than any guitar I've ever had.
I hate to go on about it but I am so fortunate to own such an instrument. I've been playing for 60 years, about 55 of them professionally and one of the few benefits of getting older is, sooner or later, you'll wind up with the "good stuff". Thanks for asking. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2074.jpg
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Ridgegrass wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:43 am Tony_Wood. It's a 1959 D-18, #170759. Bought it about 20 years ago in terrible shape. None of the scars on it are of my doing. The original rosewood bridge was split and lifted, tearing wood from the top. Steve Cunnigham at Baltimore Bluegrass Shop (now closed) made a new bridge for it. Over the years it pulled up again due to the loss of wood from the original damage. I just got it back this summer from Jeff Hostetter of "Stringed Instrument Repair" in Red Lion, PA. He is a master luthier and I highly recommend him, minimally invasive. I wish you pickers could hear and play the old girl. It is a canon! Plays like butter and holds string tone longer than any guitar I've ever had.
I hate to go on about it but I am so fortunate to own such an instrument. I've been playing for 60 years, about 55 of them professionally and one of the few benefits of getting older is, sooner or later, you'll wind up with the "good stuff". Thanks for asking. J.O'.
Wow! I could tell that it had a story from the glimpse in the first picture you posted.
Congrats on being the caretaker of such a beaut. I have a friend who owns a mid 1940’s D-18. It sounds like a dream.
For a few years I was blessed to have a 1939 Martin OOO-18. It would jump out of your hands if you didn’t hold on.

Thanks for the sharing the photo and story. Do you have sound clips posted online anywhere?

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

TONY: That's funny, I was in Appalachian Bluegrass Shop in Catonsville, MD when a guy brought the D-18 in and wanted to trade it in on something smaller. Said he didn't' like big guitars. The owner had an old OOO-18 and they made the trade. I immediately scarfed up the D-18, even though it was beat up. Like your OOO-18 I knew it was a good one because it weighed about as much as a mandolin!
I heartily agree on the "stewardship" role. My son is a very good player, producer, and performer, electric and acoustic. He already has some of my axes but he and his two sons are going to come into some fine instruments when I hang it up for good. They will be well played for long into the future. That's how it should be. They're living things that need to be played, not kept in a case or, God forbid, go out of the country to some foreign collector.

My website is: www.johnodellmusic.com. My son is all over YouTube as Mark O'Dell, The Mixed Business Trio, and Hot Pockets. Thanks for asking. Where are you located? J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

An interesting thing about Tony Rice was that he collected Bulova Accutron watches. They were the first electronic ones that worked by the action of a tuning fork. Tony had lots of them and could rebuild them. No wonder his tuning and timing were so perfect! J.O'.

Tony Wood: Check out the "Don't Back Down" band on YouTube. That's also my son, Mark.
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

John,
I live in SE Missouri. I listened to some of the music that you have on your website. Good, crisp music. Is your band still together?
I have a mandolin that my grandmother received as an 8 year old in 1933. It is just a cheaply made instrument, but I cherish it because of it’s history. My brother got the early 50’s Gibson guitar. Somehow I always come out on the short end of the stick. ::mdm::
I have a newer OOO Martin that was gifted from my dad. It will go to my son, who also plays. We have instrument overload at the house. I have been repairing and gifting instrument for years. They keep multiplying.

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Yeah, we still play around MD, DC, DE, VA, etc. Covid has it down some but I do some singles and duos with friends and jam with some local guys who are very good. I try to play a couple hours each day just to stay loose. Hope you do too. Very nice to meet you here and talk about the music. :D Keep in touch. J.O'.
1956 Country Western
Attachments
IMG_1817.jpg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Dang nab it, why didn't I find him before... I was born in the wrong era!

Finally listening/watching him on YT; his playing was/is phenomenal. Every string/note/cord was tasteful, perfectly in time, picking was something else, and his voice ain't bad either, :D
And of course, every person who ever jammed with him

Man, we sure have lost so many greats this year, that have completely lost track.
::tear::

R.I.P Mr. Rice, you are gone now, but never will be forgotten.

And I really need to get caught up on my bluegrass, so much incredible music out there!
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

WILLIE: Tony's still there for you. There is a rich recorded history of his work. After you listen and get to understand him for a while, go back and watch his induction into the IBMA Hall of Fame. Tony's voice and vocal expression were equal to his guitar work and he lost that. Many folks thought that would put an end to him but he fought so hard to go on. That speech would inspire anyone who struggles with a devastating affliction. It's good to know you appreciate his passion for the music. ::tu:: J.O'. (Keep pickin'!)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you John ::handshake:: .
I absolutely know, and understand what it's like to have something "bad" happen in ones life.
Affliction certainly makes one stronger, after the hurdle of coming to terms with it. Every day is a struggle, with manly ones self.
One has to learn to solder on through, which in turn, strengthens you to face the next day.
It truly is character building, and I thank my God for that.
Personally had an about face 6 years ago, and it's been a test the whole way.
But I feel now, if it didn't happen to me, I wouldn't of every discovered my many other loves in life. Guitar and woodworking are the 2 that first come to mind, can list a whole pile of em'.
My faith wouldn't have grown to where it tis now, wouldn't have found the awesome crew here @ AAPK, wouldn't have started one of my childhood dreams so early (running a small business).
I can go on, :D

God bless you mate, for bringing it up. Tony's a new inspiration for me, The Man, and the Guitar.
::handshake::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

::tu::

Return to “The Music Forum”