Let's talk Vinyl Music.

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
dobro59

Re: Let's talk Vinyl Music.

Post by dobro59 »

Yes sir i am , but am amateur compared to Mike. He and Jerry Douglas are my favorites. I play mostly by tab, but i stil love it!!
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

::tu:: Stay with it. J.O'.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Ever heard of Josh Swift ? Played with Doyle Lawson for a few years. He's a hoss! J.O'.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

How about Smiley Burnett singing Catfish take a look at that worm!
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Smiley Burnett! Now that's going back a ways! to the likes of Gene Autry, Ray Whitley, (with and for whom Gibson designed and built the first SJ-200 guitar in 1937), Jimmy Wakely, Roy Rogers. All the great "Singin' Cowboys". ::tu:: J.O'.
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

I love vinyl records. My parents put together a good collection at one time. To listen to it, I have a completely modern vinyl turntable. The old one broke down about a year ago, but recently we bought an Audio-Technica Fully Automatic Belt-Drive Stereo Turntable. Here is a review of our turntable, if anyone is interested.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

dobro59 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:47 am I love all the old hillbilly stuff on Starday and king labels. Real country music, by god!
You might like Sid King, who was an early “Rockabilly” pioneer from the 50’s. When he wasn’t performing with his band he was a barber (his real name is Sid Erwin) who owned a barber shop in my hometown, and used to cut my hair. The barber shop was a mini-museum with a lot of memorabilia including “bills” from the Big D Jamboree and the Louisiana Hayride, among others. One of which had his band, Sid King and the Fivestrings, as the featured headline act, and one of the second bill, opening acts was some guy named Elvis Presley. ::woot:: Sid’s brother Billy was also in the band (lead guitar) and also a barber in the same shop. Often when not cutting hair they jammed in the shop.

Ken

Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Beautiful old Gibson, looks like a J-100.. Nice old Strat too. Big $$$$$ today!!! J.O'.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

They were rock and roll pioneers, unfortunately unknown by most. For those interested here’s some more about Sid King and the band. http://www.rockabillyhall.com/SidKing1.html At least into the 1990s they were still touring occasionally, mainly in Europe and England where they were more well known. Sid was an avid bass fisherman and retired to East Texas sometime around 2000. Billy continued cutting hair for several years but sadly passed away a couple of years ago. The last time I went by the old barber shop it had closed.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
dobro59

Post by dobro59 »

Hey, mumbleypeg , yes i like sid king and the 5 strings. Cool that he was your barber!!!

Return to “The Music Forum”