Jam Session

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
WillyCamaro

Re: Jam Session

Post by WillyCamaro »

Steve Warden wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:47 pm Looking good Charlie!
Great setup Sas ::tu:: .
Glad you decided to drop back in, i was wondering what you were up to the other day, things been busy for the last while? Same story here, I try to check in everyday, but way less then during the dead of winter. Spring has arrived at fibro farm ::ds:: .
Hope all is well, and keep rocking that martin ::tu:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

A little something to get y’all in the jammin’ mood.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

philco wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:02 pm I'm late to the party but since I've got an abundance of free time right now, here's a picture of my retirement gift to myself. Two years ago I bought this Martin Custom D Mahogany acoustic guitar (on the left) with every intention of learning how to play it. For a variety of reasons, that effort really never got off the ground. Earlier this month I finally took my first real guitar lesson. Since then my teacher has shut down in person lessons because of the current social distancing mandates. Yesterday we managed to have a second lesson via skype. Where there's a will there's a way I guess. I'm practicing some very basic stuff so far but at least I'm finally doing something. Also shown is my brother's Alvarez guitar that I've had here since even before I bought the Martin. He's got several other guitars and even though I've offered to return it, he's said hang on to it. Maybe he'll forget where it is if I hang on to it long enough. ::sneaky::
Now I want to ask you folks how long my fingers are going to be this sore?
So how's it coming along?
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m not a guitarist, and don’t know about half of what he’s talking about. But I found this incredible, especially at the end when he twist a couple of nobs, and his electric guitar is suddenly emulating an acoustic. Don’t have any idea what one of his guitars costs (they’re made in Austin, TX. Teye is a Dutch-born but has lived in Texas for years.). As someone commented, this seems like something that 30 years from now people will be saying “wish I’d bought one of those when I had a chance.” :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

A bunch of old timers and I enjoy getting together on occasion to bend some strings...
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

rangerbluedog wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:46 pm A bunch of old timers and I enjoy getting together on occasion to bend some strings...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?=vkoLrG6HvVlE[/youtube]
Cool! I love the blues!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

sorry, just trying to figure out this embedded video feature...

HaHA, it WORKED that time... ::ds::
-Blue
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Start your labor day weekend off right with a little satisfaction. New drummer so the timing is a little off....
-Blue
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Here are a couple from Saturday night 26 SEP 2020

-Blue
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Had to jump back in this "show and tell". Thought maybe some of you flatpickers and fingerpickers might enjoy these old girls of mine. Truth is I'm just cooped up and trying to have a little fun. I play each one and others at least once a week. Hard to keep good strings on them all, especially since Covid has jammed up the string supply ! Has it affected your area? I send some more in a few days. Guitars and knives, ahh! the good life!
(Don't know why the d--- pics are sideways!??). J.O'.

1) 1959 J-45. My son records with this one. It's a canon!
2) 1962 Brazilian rosewood, Martin D-28. I've worked with this one since 1984 Great axe!
3) 1956 Gibson "Country'Western". Bought it from the original owner 2 years ago. Kind of a rare bird, only made 4 years. True, clear, bell-like Gibson tone.
Enjoy :D
Attachments
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0245.JPG
IMG_1817.jpg
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Some beauties there, J.O'.

As for strings, I play bass, and I've found the older they get, the mellower they get. I'll go years before swapping 'em for new.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Again John, those are three sweet dreads sir, never tire of seeing guitar pictures :D .

As for strings, I'm pretty well stocked up here. Still have 5 sets of my favorite electric ones, and 4 light-gauges as backup. But no extra sets of acoustic... Thanks for reminding me, I have to go pickup a set of each.
For supply... Both my shops are stocked to the brim, last time I dropped by. And there's always Amazon as backup.
I haven't been playing quite as much of late, been down with chronic fatigue most days, and many other things are getting in the way of my playing. Changed that that trend this evening.
Super happy how my playing is progressing, things are clicking along nicely now. Finding a great learning program, and consistent practice, makes all the world of difference. But it is nice to take a short break/breather, helps a person reassess where they are at, and make needed adjustments.
Hope to start recording myself in the future, maybe by spring i'll do a couple covers... We'll see.
:D
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Electric or acoustic? Here's a 1953 KAY- "C1" She's done a few turns down the Bluegrass trail. (Pic is sideways again! Click on it it'll rotate.)
Our regular bass man changes his strings every couple years and I get the leftovers. :D Bought my son a John Spector electric bass,(Serial #4), back when he was in high school. He's 41 now.
Hope you're gigging as much as you can. Lots of players starving right now. God bless 'em. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1819.jpg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Thanks Willy. You d'man! Play, play, play! :D O'.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you John, both :D .

Haven't started gigging yet, been slowly building up my skills at home. Well, I do gig in a way, every time I pick up my guitar, my family hears me play...
Yes sir, lockdown has sure hit the whole community hard... I'm very thankful to my God, that am in the situation, that I am. Steady sources of income coming in, sure appreciate farming at times like these ::super_happy:: .

God bless you, and your son dude, keep pluckin'!
Winston Churchill

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

philco wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:02 pm I'm late to the party but since I've got an abundance of free time right now, here's a picture of my retirement gift to myself. Two years ago I bought this Martin Custom D Mahogany acoustic guitar (on the left) with every intention of learning how to play it. For a variety of reasons, that effort really never got off the ground. Earlier this month I finally took my first real guitar lesson. Since then my teacher has shut down in person lessons because of the current social distancing mandates. Yesterday we managed to have a second lesson via skype. Where there's a will there's a way I guess. I'm practicing some very basic stuff so far but at least I'm finally doing something. Also shown is my brother's Alvarez guitar that I've had here since even before I bought the Martin. He's got several other guitars and even though I've offered to return it, he's said hang on to it. Maybe he'll forget where it is if I hang on to it long enough. ::sneaky::
Now I want to ask you folks how long my fingers are going to be this sore?
Very nice! I love Martin guitars. I can only play enough to embarrass myself, but I sure love to watch guys play who know what they're doing. Keep up the practice and we'll be expecting some videos shortly!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:14 pm Had to jump back in this "show and tell". Thought maybe some of you flatpickers and fingerpickers might enjoy these old girls of mine. Truth is I'm just cooped up and trying to have a little fun. I play each one and others at least once a week. Hard to keep good strings on them all, especially since Covid has jammed up the string supply ! Has it affected your area? I send some more in a few days. Guitars and knives, ahh! the good life!
(Don't know why the d--- pics are sideways!??). J.O'.

1) 1959 J-45. My son records with this one. It's a canon!
2) 1962 Brazilian rosewood, Martin D-28. I've worked with this one since 1984 Great axe!
3) 1956 Gibson "Country'Western". Bought it from the original owner 2 years ago. Kind of a rare bird, only made 4 years. True, clear, bell-like Gibson tone.
Enjoy :D
I love the J-45!
I've been looking for one of those, but no one wants to turn them loose.

I just about stole this old Gibson Chet Atkins SST last week.
Made October 15, 1993. I think I'm gonna wind up trading it though. I've never been a big fan of active pickups. They always sound a bit too harsh for me.
Pretty guitar though...
20201202_125122.jpg
-Blue
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:12 am Electric or acoustic? Here's a 1953 KAY- "C1" She's done a few turns down the Bluegrass trail. (Pic is sideways again! Click on it it'll rotate.)
Our regular bass man changes his strings every couple years and I get the leftovers. :D Bought my son a John Spector electric bass,(Serial #4), back when he was in high school. He's 41 now.
Hope you're gigging as much as you can. Lots of players starving right now. God bless 'em. J.O'.
Beautiful upright!! I have enough trouble making sure my fingers hit the right note with frets!
My rig is on page 1, post 1.
My only gig is Sunday morning with the worship team. I'm certainly no pro, but I manage to hold down the bottom and have fun doing it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

RANGER: Bought my first J-50 from a girl I met in 1964. It was a '48, natural top, teardrop guard. Her brother was in the Army in Germany and she sold me his guitar for next to nothing. Bet that one would be worth a good horse now! Traded it in for a used 1962 HummingBird in the pic. That's me in basic at Ft. Bragg, NC and Ly Tin, 'Nam. (Click on it and it'll rotate right. !!!??? )
When I started out playing in '62, J-50's and 45's, and B-15's and B-25's were everywhere.Now, like you said, they're in great demand and scarce, like good old knives, and everything else!
I dig the Chet. Can't you swap out the pickups for p90's or something you like? It's a cool guitar. J.O'.

STEVE: That Jazz bass is great, and you've got enough horsepower there to play Woodstock!
I drilled 1/16" holes in the side of my bass fingerboard at the true positions and inlaid tiny white dots just like a guitar. They keep my intonation good.

Keep pickin' boys and girls, it'll keep you sane. 8) J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_1820.jpg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

STEVE: BTW my son married a Jersey girl in Haddenfield and we had the reception at The Mansion in Cherry Hill. Small world. :D J.O'.
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

Ridgegrass wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:04 pm RANGER: Bought my first J-50 from a girl I met in 1964. It was a '48, natural top, teardrop guard. Her brother was in the Army in Germany and she sold me his guitar for next to nothing. Bet that one would be worth a good horse now! Traded it in for a used 1962 HummingBird in the pic. That's me in basic at Ft. Bragg, NC and Ly Tin, 'Nam. (Click on it and it'll rotate right. !!!??? )
When I started out playing in '62, J-50's and 45's, and B-15's and B-25's were everywhere.Now, like you said, they're in great demand and scarce, like good old knives, and everything else!
I dig the Chet. Can't you swap out the pickups for p90's or something you like? It's a cool guitar. J.O'.

STEVE: That Jazz bass is great, and you've got enough horsepower there to play Woodstock!
I drilled 1/16" holes in the side of my bass fingerboard at the true positions and inlaid tiny white dots just like a guitar. They keep my intonation good.

Keep pickin' boys and girls, it'll keep you sane. 8) J.O'.
Love the pic! You're making good use of that rack of M-14s!
-Blue
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Make music, not war! ::ds::

Return to “The Music Forum”