Favorite Style of Christmas Tunes

This forum is for anything & everything music. Post & discuss your favorite songs, artists, instruments, collectibles or memorabilia. Feel free to share original works or covers if you play or perform.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Favorite Style of Christmas Tunes

Post by 1967redrider »

We're old school, traditional, that's at least 1960's or older. Bing, Blue Eyes, Brenda Lee, Carpenters, Andy Williams, etc. What's your preference?

Listening to SirusXM Holiday Traditions on Dish 98-03 and getting into the spirit of the season. 🎶🙏🎅🎄☃️
Attachments
IMG_20221125_205321038.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Re: Favorite Style of Christmas Tunes

Post by FRJ »

I like this Christmas music.

King's College Choir.
Attachments
591013C2-38EF-4931-8DAE-8FE6B0B71510.jpeg
Joe
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I'll have to give it a listen, Joe. Pretty much any music can be found on YouTube. 🎶🕺💃

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, I hope you enjoy it if you find it. ::handshake::
Joe
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

I can only handle Christmas music in doses but I love the Gene Autry Christmas album, just sounds like simpler happy times. I also like the Bruce Springsteen Christmas album and the 50’s-60’s rock ones like the Ronnets. Wonderful Christmas Time by Paul McCartny has to be the most disjointed sounding song and I really don’t want to like it, but I guess I’ve heard it so many times it sticks in my head.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I prefer traditional Christ-centered Christmas songs and hymns. Many artists have done at least one if not more albums of those old standards, from Frank Sinatra to Elvis, Willie, Dolly, and so on, but my favorite of all are the ones done by Gary Morris. His versions of Silent Night and O Holy Night are memorable. What a voice! Not bad for an old Fort Worth country boy!

I enjoy some of the secular Christmas songs also, but not as much as traditional songs which have the true meaning of Christmas as the theme. The reason for the season! ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I like the classics like "Cantique de Noel" but also like this one from my favorite Texas country singer Robert Earl Keen Jr. Maybe the most modern Christmas song written to date. Lots of laughs in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTOxHOcicqA

When I was little (1950s-1960s) we used to bundle up (mother, father, sister, and myself) and go caroling the neighborhood on Christmas eve. It was at least a hundred yards from house to house and sometimes a quarter mile to the next one and we'd walk a couple miles to sing at neighbor's homes. We were not the only family doing this and every home we sang at had hot chocolate and/or cookies for the carolers. Sometimes when we met other carolers we would join up with them so on occasion there might be 8-12 singers in the group. It was a beautiful tradition which sadly seems to have disappeared. I hope there are still folks spreading holiday spirit this way, I miss it.
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:43 am ....but my favorite of all are the ones done by Gary Morris. His versions of Silent Night and O Holy Night are memorable. What a voice! Not bad for an old Fort Worth country boy!

Ken
Wow, Ken, I've never heard of him before, but you are right, an amazing voice. That man has a gift.

For me, Johnny Mathis is just about top of the heap when it comes to Christmas music. Growing up we would play that record quite frequently throughout the season. Just hearing his voice puts me in that Christmas state of mind. It always strikes me as odd when I on occasion here him singing a non-Christmas tune, as I associate him so strongly with the holidays.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Here you go, Gene-

Here's one that I find hilarious 😂

Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I grew up in a traditional Catholic family where Christmas was truly a religious holiday. We had a tree, train, and presents but my mom always made sure the Nativity was paramount. From first grade on in Catholic school we sang the hymns of Christmas in children's choir. That music still means Christmas to me. Adeste Fideles, (in Latin or course), Oh Holy Night, Little town of Bethlehem, Hark! The Herald Angels. The First Noel, and on and on. We still sing when the family gathers for Christmas.
I also love the old Country and Bluegrass Christmas songs of Flatt and Scruggs, The Stanleys, Bill Monroe, etc. My favorite in that genre has to be Keith Whitley and Ralph Stanley's "Oh Beautiful Star of Bethlehem". Runs right up my spine!

(Comment from "Bad John') I hate when pop stars junk up , jazz up, and screw up a Christmas song.!

J.O'.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Robert Earl Keen has been a favorite of mine for years. His Merry Christmas From the Family has become a classic (evidenced by the audience singing along on that live recording). :lol: Wry humor, at once both a funny yet sad commentary on today’s society.

Mike, I’ve been a fan of Gary Morris for about 40 years. He was a popular country artist during the 1980s, with several hits at that time. You can find his songs (including Christmas songs) on YouTube.

Being from Fort Worth, for years he did a Christmas concert in Fort Worth while home visiting his parents for the holidays. Instead of the usual concert where the artist performs their hits, this was a couple of hours of all Christmas songs. He usually was joined in the performance by his wife and their sons, all talented musicians. Our family enjoyed those concerts annually - our boys grew up on them.

As country music drifted away from his style of music, despite never having had acting lessons before he tried out for and won the lead role of Jean Valjean in the hit Broadway musical Lés Miserables. (His is the voice of Jean Valjean on the all-star cast recording). An avid outdoorsman, he was later for years the host of The North American Sportsman television show. He’s in his 70s now but still actively performs and writes music.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “The Music Forum”