Info Requested on K. Hosan Fixed Blade

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Suredan

Info Requested on K. Hosan Fixed Blade

Post by Suredan »

I have never seen this maker before. Can anyone provide some information. ATS-34. Really nice quality with a tapered tang. Thanks!
BE8F75FE-4FFD-45C5-8874-C8324F866BDD.jpeg
B92C082C-BD91-4A2A-8F61-E9E2B4839106.jpeg
39615898-C0AA-4D3B-8F9A-486914FDED41.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Info Requested on K. Hosan Fixed Blade

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Pretty sure that’s Master Koji Hara’s signature on that blade. He is a great knife maker in Japan. Makes some very expensive and artistic designs. This is not one of his artistic knives, it’s more of a straight functional hunting knife. Micarta handles with ATS-34 stainless blade. Very nice. I could estimate the price for you if you are looking for an estimate.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Suredan

Post by Suredan »

That would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Suredan wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:07 pm That would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You are looking at a 175 to 225 retail knife. Other knives that he makes go for over a thousand dollars but they are way more intricate. Comparables on this would be other knives made by other knife masters like Hattori, Imai or Hiro with Micarta handles. Could be a bit more to a collector, but that should be pretty close.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Suredan

Post by Suredan »

Thank you for giving me some idea of value. I guess I did pretty good; 75 bucks at a garage sale of all places. It wasn’t sitting out, I just asked if they had any knives and they brought it out. I could tell it was nice quality so I bought it. I am never this lucky. Thank you again.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Suredan wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:55 am Thank you for giving me some idea of value. I guess I did pretty good; 75 bucks at a garage sale of all places. It wasn’t sitting out, I just asked if they had any knives and they brought it out. I could tell it was nice quality so I bought it. I am never this lucky. Thank you again.
Well Dan, I think you did great on that one. They must not have known what they had. I can tell by looking at it that it’s a very fine knife worth way more than 75 dollars. Very nice score indeed, especially for a garage sale.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”