ID help?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
BigbillyIII

ID help?

Post by BigbillyIII »

I have a knife with a Japanese blade, 440 stainless on a 11-222 explorer knife, the metal part of handle on the butt side is engraved with M.S.S. and looks to be done at the time the knife would have been bought and owned by said person. Any clues of whether this is anything significant or has been seen before? Through history research it could mean multiple things, whether by the government, a person...or none. Basically, I'm asking if anyone knows whether its random or connected through history with the knife and time theyre from. Pretty sure its visible on the handle in this picture. Top center knife handle not zoomed, bottom center of picture when zoomed, end of the knife handle on the brass part. M.S.S.
Attachments
1124201748.jpg
BigbillyIII

Re: ID help?

Post by BigbillyIII »

Also unidentifiable by myself, but assume at least the one is Japanese. Sorry just trying to get to know an old collection I had and have had put away.
Attachments
1124201809.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I doubt that there is much significance to the MSS. That looks like it was probably someone’s initials. Those particular Japanese made knives are not worth much, and in that condition they wouldn’t bring much at all. It was probably made in the 80’s or possibly the late 70’s but most likely 80’s. That was a time when people like Frost and Parker were having knives mass produced in Japan. The quality was not up to what the Japanese are doing today or even 25 years ago. If you look on Ebay for Explorer, C.I. Industries, Parker, Frost, and several others, you will find what price range your knife would fall into. Not sure if all that helps or not? Good luck.
And welcome to the forum.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree with what ssk has posted.
kj
BigbillyIII

Post by BigbillyIII »

Thanks guys. Wasnt looking for values or anything I was just curious. They mostly are in pretty bad shape, except the one that is engraved.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”