My First Rigid

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
cody6268

My First Rigid

Post by cody6268 »

I don't know why, but I've alwys wanted a Rigid in my collection. I have to admit, my favorite Rigid is the RG51 Handyman; with plain and serrated blades, as well as a set of wrenches. I could've gotten one for $40, but diddled around and the seller sold out.

Found this RG-24 for $25; which had an old pricetag of $30. Figured it was a steal. Fully serrated; good for cutting rope and the other heavy stuff I deal with on a daily basis. Not PE, so I'm not crazy about that. It's 4.5" closed, so it should be cabable of doin heavy work.

What steel do they mean by "SURGICAL STEEL"? I've seen it described as basically half the common low-to-mid end Japanese cultery steels, as well as really cheap stuff that is as good as cheese. I presume AUS-6 given how a ton of mid-priced Japanese knives of the 1980s and 1990s used it; and I have seen AUS-6 described as "Surgical Steel".
s-l1600RRG242.jpg
s-l1600.jpgRRG24.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My First Rigid

Post by jerryd6818 »

Made in Japan, I think you have yourself a fairly decent knife there.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My First Rigid

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Cody, I think it would probably be 440 stainless when it’s called surgical steel. But who knows for sure. That’s a broad term that could also be applied to AUS-6 or AUS-8. Personally I like the AUS-8, it’s a bit easier to sharpen than some stainless steel. Whatever it is, it’s a good knife and good stainless. Let us know how it holds up under use and how it holds an edge and sharpens up. I’m very curious.
Given what so many Japanese knives sold for from that time period, this must have been one of the better and more expensive knives.
Hope it does a great job for you.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “Japanese-made knives”