Post your Moki’s

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Post your Moki’s

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks Willy and Garry. It does have an understated beauty to it. I like the way a knife with wooden handles feels in hand better than any other handle material. Something just very warm about it.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:53 pm Picked up an Ironwood version of the Moki Kronos ANZ-533, only this one is ANZI-544. The I is for ironwood. I love wooden handles and had never seen a Moki Kronos with wooden handles and just couldn’t pass this one up.
Haven't seen one either. Beautiful grain. Good score.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I've been waiting 32 days for this knife to arrive, and it got here today! I bought this one from Mark at SSk, and he told me I was gonna like it, but WOW, it's just special! It's a 7 1/2" oal Hiro designed Moki Kaicut lockback/SS drop-point blade with n/n and jigging on the tang, NS bolsters liner and pins, and I believe Sandalwood covers. Has a nice comfortable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and came extremely sharp. It bears Moki and Hiro markings, and was built in Japan. A fine well-built folder! 8)
WIN_20210601_19_31_54_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210601_19_31_43_Pro.jpg
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The look is one of great solidity. Love the combo of big bolster with wood.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Love that one the most Mark. Does that handle have a fragrance like perfume? I had a knife that had Sandalwood handles that had a perfume like smell, I was thinking that it was this knife, but maybe not. Just curious if you noticed that? I’m still trying to figure out which knife that was and if I still have one that has that smell.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:21 am The look is one of great solidity. Love the combo of big bolster with wood.
Thanks Garry. I like that combo too, and yes, this knife is solid as the day is long. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:10 am Love that one the most Mark. Does that handle have a fragrance like perfume? I had a knife that had Sandalwood handles that had a perfume like smell, I was thinking that it was this knife, but maybe not. Just curious if you noticed that? I’m still trying to figure out which knife that was and if I still have one that has that smell.
Mark! I hadn't thought to smell the wood to determine what material they are, but after reading your comment I did smell them, and my new knife DOES have a bit of a sweet perfume smell, so the covers are most likely Sandalwood, not Rosewood, thx for clearing that up for me. You'll get this knife back someday, and I promise in the meantime I will treasure and look after it! 8)
8)
TPK

Post by TPK »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:31 am I've been waiting 32 days for this knife to arrive, and it got here today! I bought this one from Mark at SSk, and he told me I was gonna like it, but WOW, it's just special! It's a 7 1/2" oal Hiro designed Moki Kaicut lockback/SS drop-point blade with n/n and jigging on the tang, NS bolsters liner and pins, and I believe Sandalwood covers. Has a nice comfortable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and came extremely sharp. It bears Moki and Hiro markings, and was built in Japan. A fine well-built folder! 8)WIN_20210601_19_31_54_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_43_Pro.jpg
Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: I'm happy for ya! ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
TPK

Post by TPK »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:53 pm Picked up an Ironwood version of the Moki Kronos ANZ-533, only this one is ANZI-544. The I is for ironwood. I love wooden handles and had never seen a Moki Kronos with wooden handles and just couldn’t pass this one up.
Sweet! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

TPK wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:06 pm
Madmarco wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:31 am I've been waiting 32 days for this knife to arrive, and it got here today! I bought this one from Mark at SSk, and he told me I was gonna like it, but WOW, it's just special! It's a 7 1/2" oal Hiro designed Moki Kaicut lockback/SS drop-point blade with n/n and jigging on the tang, NS bolsters liner and pins, and I believe Sandalwood covers. Has a nice comfortable weight of about 5 oz.'s, and came extremely sharp. It bears Moki and Hiro markings, and was built in Japan. A fine well-built folder! 8)WIN_20210601_19_31_54_Pro.jpgWIN_20210601_19_31_43_Pro.jpg
Congrats Buddy! ::handshake:: I'm happy for ya! ::nod:: ::super_happy::
Thanks Tom, ::handshake:: it's a very special knife that I'm pleased as punch to own! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Posting these here in the Moki thread since these are Al Mar’s made by Moki. Saw these two scrolling last week and got these from Lee here on AAPK.
Al Mar Osprey’s, one with Chinese Quince burl wood and the other with stag. These are small knives, which makes them very hard to make with this kind of precision and fit and finish. Measures just 2 1/4” closed OAL. These were harder to clean and get ready for storage than bigger knives. I can’t imagine the craftsmanship it took to make these.
Attachments
D38E35FA-6F6D-4CA3-BFF3-0E554D5D6040.jpeg
6492B643-5C96-4053-A560-7D6C9F4F56A8.jpeg
E8FF0DF8-8F94-4236-9F50-C731A6668A9E.jpeg
18EE64C4-26A8-4E57-BEDD-3B9C2EDB010B.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice Mark. It's a shame they aren't built a bit bigger, but then again, one could always buy an Eagle model which measures 9" open. Great addition to your Moki's! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark, I’ve wanted these for a long time. Almost bought ones like these over 10 years ago at Smokey Mountain Knife Works when I was in their showroom. The price stopped me then. Years later and the price is still way up there on these, in fact I think it’s more now than it was back then. Since Al Mar moved production to China on current ones being made, it’s pushed the Seki made knives higher and I expect them to keep going up.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Beautiful Al Mar's Mark along with their inevitable precision.

I'm thinking that, like Al Mar, Solingen made Bokers will rise in price with the termination of actual German production.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a new addition to the Moki collection. This one will be a centerpiece of my Moki’s and perhaps my collection. This is a Bill Ruple designed knife made for Old School Knives by Moki. The handles are true red stag, not stag died red. I picked one that had the deepest and most consistently red bark and best coverage from bolster to bolster. The blade is VG-10 with stainless pins, liners, bolsters and shield. They only made 125 of these. Culpepper, Old School Knives, was working on these when I had Moki make my knives for me. I remember talking with them about my project and they told me about these. There are 3 other handle materials available, bourbon bone, mahogany bone and natural stag. I’ve included a picture of all four.
Attachments
AAD1464F-CD30-4491-B1A9-9C23E32DA662.jpeg
F218D63F-A036-4AB7-B271-F7C0D28C0748.jpeg
15CAC556-8A2C-4A6F-B841-F21F6E3F3400.jpeg
F8246414-D4E3-47E9-AEA7-D0720AA8F56F.jpeg
92732F59-CA66-4E5B-9CD3-4ED9CB2F1390.jpeg
CCCCDAA1-EE9A-4170-89D1-F7959CE87FCC.jpeg
8F49385A-9539-4743-A436-35F0E3DEBD73.png
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Mark 3 thumb's up ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:29 pm Here is a new addition to the Moki collection. This one will be a centerpiece of my Moki’s and perhaps my collection. This is a Bill Ruple designed knife made for Old School Knives by Moki. The handles are true red stag, not stag died red. I picked one that had the deepest and most consistently red bark and best coverage from bolster to bolster. The blade is VG-10 with stainless pins, liners, bolsters and shield. They only made 125 of these. Culpepper, Old School Knives, was working on these when I had Moki make my knives for me. I remember talking with them about my project and they told me about these. There are 3 other handle materials available, bourbon bone, mahogany bone and natural stag. I’ve included a picture of all four.
Stunning addition Mark. All 4 knives look great, but the one you chose is simply outstanding. And it's a big knife too! ::ds:: 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:29 pm Here is a new addition to the Moki collection. This one will be a centerpiece of my Moki’s and perhaps my collection. This is a Bill Ruple designed knife made for Old School Knives by Moki. The handles are true red stag, not stag died red. I picked one that had the deepest and most consistently red bark and best coverage from bolster to bolster. The blade is VG-10 with stainless pins, liners, bolsters and shield. They only made 125 of these. Culpepper, Old School Knives, was working on these when I had Moki make my knives for me. I remember talking with them about my project and they told me about these. There are 3 other handle materials available, bourbon bone, mahogany bone and natural stag. I’ve included a picture of all four.
Absolutely beautiful trapper brother, can see why you jumped all over her.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thank you Gary, Mark and Willie. I wanted one that would represent the best of this handle material and I think this one nailed it. I would like to have all 4 but that’s a chunk of change to get them all. They all look terrific.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Finally arrived another Moki Spire to add to my collection. This one is in amber jigged bone. Designed by Matt Conable and made for A.G. Russell by Moki. The fit and finish is as incredible as you would expect from Moki.
Here is the whole collection. The green one was made for William Henry but it’s the same knife as the others.
Attachments
38A8D984-5F62-4782-818F-AA09E7EF3FD0.jpeg
E8CFD431-36E2-486C-BB8D-D19D847A5982.jpeg
7A878D01-D68C-41FD-9A03-466610CD4CBA.jpeg
FC19B6D5-95C1-4E1B-8D6E-9F67CB5410F4.jpeg
0937E04C-1C79-4766-BA31-E214C3971FA9.jpeg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Those a beautiful brother! I can see why your building a collection of them... ::drool::

I may be a bit biased :mrgreen:, but that William Henry is my favorite of the three. Just love that green bone!
::ds::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:29 pm Here is a new addition to the Moki collection. This one will be a centerpiece of my Moki’s and perhaps my collection. This is a Bill Ruple designed knife made for Old School Knives by Moki.
Very nice Mark, I bet they are well made. I have known Bill and his wife for many years.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thank you Willy and Kris. Willy, that green one was my favorite until the amber bone showed up. Next time I have some more Moki’s made for me, I hope to be able to use green bone like this. Green has been my favorite color for a very long time. My last 3 cars were all green.

Kris, I think Bill has designed some amazing knives. This one is certainly amongst my favorites.
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Just for reference for folks, Matt Conable is the owner and designer of William Henry knives. Nice Mark thanks for sharing.

https://www.williamhenry.com/history
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:16 pm Thank you Willy and Kris. Willy, that green one was my favorite until the amber bone showed up. Next time I have some more Moki’s made for me, I hope to be able to use green bone like this. Green has been my favorite color for a very long time. My last 3 cars were all green.

Kris, I think Bill has designed some amazing knives. This one is certainly amongst my favorites.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”