Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Here are my Japanese chef knives. The Hattori and the black handled one w/ the rainbow damascus are not users, they are part of my collection. As you can see I am fond of stainless damascus.
The Henckel Miyabi knives are included in a separate shot, I couldn’t get them all into one picture. I bought the Miyabi knives at Smokey Mountain Knife Works, down in the lowest level where they have all the kitchen knives and other stuff. These were half priced, I kick myself over and over for not buying all that they had that day. I didn’t realize how great a deal it was until I was long gone. These have black linen Micarta handles w/ mosaic pins, really nice knives. As you can see they have been used a lot.
I have posted this black one w/ the rainbow Damascus before. The handles are hand painted and feature Mt Fuji, there is a scabbard that is also hand painted and a very nice Nishijin pouch. This is one of the most expensive knives in my collection. I’ve never seen these made again after I purchased these. A very limited production was done of these. This is a good looking knife whether it’s a chef knife or not, it really speaks to me.
Attachments
IMG_3681.jpeg
IMG_3682.jpeg
IMG_3683.jpeg
IMG_3684.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful group of knives Mark! ::tu:: Your new Hattori fits right in! I never knew there was such a thing as stainless Damascus, ::shrug:: and now that I've seen it I find it extremely attractive! ::nod:: Enjoy them all! 8) P.S.-Is the rainbow Damascus the one that has some color in it, right below the Hattori? Oops, never mind, I just realized it's the only one with Mt. Fuji on it!
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That is a positively stunning group. You have a remarkable eye for knives, Mark.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Madmarco wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:10 pm Beautiful group of knives Mark! ::tu:: Your new Hattori fits right in! I never knew there was such a thing as stainless Damascus, ::shrug:: and now that I've seen it I find it extremely attractive! ::nod:: Enjoy them all! 8) P.S.-Is the rainbow Damascus the one that has some color in it, right below the Hattori?
Yes that is the one. It has copper, brass and several other layers of metals.
By the way, that Mcusta you got is stainless Damascus. VG-10 blade and handles. I think the real beauty of stainless Damascus is when they polish it to a mirror polish, most of the time it’s not polished and it doesn’t pop. When it’s polished you lose some of the character of the layers and lines, but personally I like that.

Thanks Garry, our tastes in knives is very similar.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark, I didn't realize my Mcusta is s/d, so I guess I have seen it before! It has kind of a flat satin finish to it, but I'd love to see it mirror-polished, since I'm partial to shiny as well! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I listed this one for sale today. Thought I would detail it here. This is an A.G. Russell Lockback. Made in Seki Japan. The blade and the bolster is so unique. I have been trying to find out the exact steel used on this but haven’t been able to find out for sure. I compared this to different types of steel on the JCK and JKD website and this looks the most like Powdered Cowry Damascus. The other type of steel that it looks like is White Steel Damascus. Both are expensive and hard to work with. These steels have a very high carbon content and have much higher Rockwell hardness. That would make this difficult to sharpen but it would hold an edge for a very long time. The blade on this is thick at the spine and is masterfully ground to a very sharp edge. The handles are cocobolo wood. The liners on this are made of aluminum. Locks up with a loud “click”. It’s a big knife measures 4 1/2” closed OAL. This is a hefty knife that has a great in hand feel. You can tell when you hold it that it’s built to last, very solid feel and could last a lifetime and then passed down to another generation, it’s really that good.
Attachments
IMG_3842.jpeg
IMG_3844.jpeg
IMG_3845.jpeg
IMG_3848.jpeg
IMG_3849.jpeg
IMG_3851.jpeg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Oh wow Mark, that truly tis a wonderful knife, custom maker quality all the way.
If I had the $$$, she would be coming home to me. Some guy, or gal, is going to be super pleased when the receive it.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Its definitely impressive. Its a frustrating thing to have champagne tastes on a Coca-Cola budget.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful Mark! Teriffic in-depth explanation as well! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thank you, glad you all like this one, it is pretty special.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

This is one I just picked up Hattori ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0838.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

kennedy knives wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:52 pm This is one I just picked up Hattori ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
I agree ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

A very special gorgeous knife Garry! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:52 pm This is one I just picked up Hattori ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
I just saw this Gary, that is a nice one. Be careful, buying Hattori’s can be habit forming.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:52 am
I just saw this Gary, that is a nice one. Be careful, buying Hattori’s can be habit forming.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

G. Sakai bird and trout knife
Attachments
thumbnail_20200820_092518.jpg
thumbnail_20200820_092447.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

There is another one I don’t have yet. Very nice looking slim knife.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Couple of Coleman Mini-Trappers. I have a Stockman but it was made in China.
Attachments
Coleman Mini-Trapper Blue Bone Seki Japan - Labeled.JPG
DSC09553.JPG
Coleman Mini-Trapper - Stag - Seki Japan - Labeled.JPG
Coleman Mini-Trapper - Stag - Seki Japan - Pile Closed.JPG
Coleman Mini-Trapper - Stag - Seki Japan - COO Stamp.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Jerry, those Colemans are so under appreciated. Those mini trappers are one of my favorites. I have been carrying a Coleman stag mini trapper since last year and I really like it.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:40 pm Jerry, those Colemans are so under appreciated.
And the price shows it. I paid $20 or less for each of the Mini-Trappers I've bought and that's in factory condition.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

G. Sakai
Moki Glory
A.G. Russell LB
Attachments
WP_20180902_008.jpg
WP_20180325_054.jpg
WP_20181113_075.jpg
WP_20181113_088.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Handsome knives one and all. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman, that is a nice line up. That A.G. Russell stag at the end is the kicker, very nice.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:16 am Ivoryman, that is a nice line up. That A.G. Russell stag at the end is the kicker, very nice.
I second what Mark says, awesome lineup Iman ::tu:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “Japanese-made knives”