Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Madmarco »

I received this boot dagger and set of knives today from Mark at SSk, and I don't believe they've been shown in this thread before, although, I was too lazy to check through all 19 pages, so if you've already seen em', my apologies! First is a Tommy Lee designed Paragon Boot dagger that's exactly 8" oal/AUS-8 steel tapered dual-edged dagger blade, NS tapered satin-finish bolsters and pins, and gorgeous black micarta scales. Weighs-in at 3.1 oz.'s, and both edges as sharp as any knife I've seen. Bears Paragon markings and built in Seki, Japan. Then we have a set of IC Cut manual folders measuring 7 3/4" oal and 5 1/4" oal respectively/SS drop-point blades, NS bolsters liners and pins, and beautiful Stamina wood covers. Approximate weights of 5 and 1.5 oz.'s, and very sharp. Built in Seki, Japan and showing IC Cut markings. Smooth and loud walk n' talk on both knives with easy lockback release. Fit and finish is top-notch, and highly polished throughout giving them a gorgeous lustre. To the best of Mark's knowledge the 2 sets he owned were the only 2 he'd seen, so now I'm the proud Canadian owner of a set, and he's the proud American owner of the other. Not a bad thing to be! I went through an absolute nightmare with UPS in receiving these knives, but in the end it was worth every minute of the trouble! 8)
WIN_20210107_13_39_17_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210107_13_39_37_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210107_13_39_57_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210107_13_40_36_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Glad you like them so much Mark. Those are all gorgeous. Those IC Cut knives feel great in hand. So smooth and polished. That stamina wood is warm to the touch.
I still can’t get over the Micarta on the daggers. It’s so perfect and dark that it could pass as ebony.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Wow...those are awesome, Mark. And that Paragon is just down right beautiful. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks guys! 8)
8)
deserttrans

Post by deserttrans »

SOG, Sogbuster 2.

SOG A.jpg
SOG.jpg
Freedom Ain't FREE....
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

deserttrans wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 am SOG, Sogbuster 2.

SOG A.jpgSOG.jpg
I have seen and desired one of these for a very long time. I love SOG knives. That one looks like it is just perfect for any job.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

deserttrans wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:24 am SOG, Sogbuster 2.

SOG A.jpgSOG.jpg
Very nice D.T.! ::tu:: I was watching a YouTube vid just last night, and the fella was showing his knives, and when he got to his SOG Sogbuster 2 he said he'd owned it for many years and it was one of the best knives he's ever owned. ::nod:: Thanks for posting yours! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I finally was able to snag one of these. Seki Cut made in Seki Japan. Designed by Bob Lum before he passed away. The blade is made of some extremely tough D2 tool steel and is razor sharp. This knife locks up tight and is as solid as it comes. The handles look to be G10. Any other information that anyone has on these is always welcome. I know these were made for an event called “Encounter”. This knife really blew me away when I took it out of the box. I wasn’t expecting such a solid and big knife. This one is going in the collection.
Attachments
B5F19AFC-A81F-4FD7-AA42-058185D505FA.jpeg
6218819E-C245-4223-B0C6-609101B95FDC.jpeg
2869961B-9526-415E-8854-5F6FB783458E.jpeg
28DA220B-44CE-4EEA-92C0-7C09593E7FF6.jpeg
4271CF3B-B949-42B5-94BE-5145D8469A67.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Absolutely gorgeous knife Mark! ::tu:: I've been looking at these for awhile, but the higher price has kept me at bay from pulling the trigger. Enjoy yours! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark. I was trying for 2 that night and the other one, surprisingly went for a good bit more and I dropped out. This one came in high but not too high. If I had known how great this was, I would have paid more for it and the other one, it’s “legacy knife” in my opinion. Thinking about taking the listing down on the Strike Force knife I have and keep these together, both are legacy knives and superb quality and in the same category. These would go well with all my Paragons.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Congratulations on your Bob Lum acquisition Mark. Lum is one of my all time favorites. We lost him much too soon. The knife has wonderful lines.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Garry, I am very impressed with this. I need to search out more of his knives. Seki Cut did a great job on executing his design.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:46 pm Thanks Mark. I was trying for 2 that night and the other one, surprisingly went for a good bit more and I dropped out. This one came in high but not too high. If I had known how great this was, I would have paid more for it and the other one, it’s “legacy knife” in my opinion. Thinking about taking the listing down on the Strike Force knife I have and keep these together, both are legacy knives and superb quality and in the same category. These would go well with all my Paragons.
Sounds like a very good plan Mark. I've looked at your Strike Force everyday, sometimes more than once, for the past 2 weeks, and I've been teetering on the fence about asking you to take it down and hold it for me, but your idea of taking these 2 and adding them in with your Paragons is the way to go. All are supreme quality knives that deserve the attention you're showing them. Congrats! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Out of his Custom series comes a fine hunting knife from Ichiro Hattori.
P1040093.JPG
P1040094.JPG
P1040095.JPG
P1040096.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I love that false edge on top, gives that an incredible look. Very nice.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Great Looking Knife Garry ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Agreed. I like that the false edge is rounded, softened if you will, rather than the typical linear line perpendicular to the spine.
Linear line is redundant isn't it? Each has its appeal but the curve takes more care and effort I would think.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:44 pm Out of his Custom series comes a fine hunting knife from Ichiro Hattori.

P1040093.JPGP1040094.JPGP1040095.JPGP1040096.JPG
Just as nice as it was in "Mail Call" Garry! ::tu:: A true masterpiece! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received this knife recently and wanted to show you guys! It's a Blackjack Donnybrook model prototype that was commissioned by Blackjack Knives to be built in Seki Japan over 30 years ago but never was, only a few were built by hand, and the attached paperwork says it's very rare. I first saw it here on the forum and asked it's owner if he'd be willing to part with it, and he was, but due to unseen circumstances that deal fell through, then I found this one on Ebay along with another one that has a different tang stamp and an asking price of US$1498., and although I paid-up a bit for mine, it was nowhere near US$1498.! The paperwork is from Jemmy Iwahara, the same fella that Mark(SSk)deals with at Japanese Knife Direct, so I've sent him an email asking if he would tell me why the 2 knives have different tang stamps, and if he knows a value, so I'm hoping he will respond. Mine along with the copy our fellow member has, have a front tang stamp of "FLT-1", and a back tang stamp of "Seki-Japan", but the copy still on Ebay has the official Blackjack logo and words as it's tang stamp, and I'm dying to know why they're different. If and when I get more info I'll edit my post. The specs are as follows! 8 3/8" oal linerlock/SS dagger blade with stud, NS bolsters, brass liners, and black ringed micarta covers. Approximate weight of 5 oz.'s, and only the bottom edge is factory sharp. I really like this one, and if anyone asked I'd say it is my perfect knife! If you click twice on the pics they will expand so you can read the letter from Jemmy! 8)
WIN_20210215_13_24_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210215_13_25_19_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210215_13_25_45_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210215_19_31_18_Pro.jpg
EDIT: I received a reply from Jemmy fellas, and he said that he doesn't know why there are different tang stamps but they usually didn't stamp their protos although he couldn't really remember from over 30 years ago, the protos were built by Mr. Noda who I have to assume is/was a renowned Japanese builder, and that the value would be whatever current collectors value is. Not a heck of a lot more to go on, but some! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yesir Mark, that tis absolutely the find of this century.
Snagging it, the way you did, is absolutely the knife story of 2021.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, that is a truly remarkable acquisition. Design, history, rarity, = equal a once in a lifetime purchase; a legacy knife if ever there was one. Congratulations.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I can’t wait to hear Jemmy’s reply. Glad you could get that one. That is one nice score!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your encouragement! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received 3 knives in today's mail, and 2 are Japanese builds so I want to show them to you guys! The first knife is an Al Mar Secret Service linerlock stiletto and is 7 7/8" oal/ SS modified spear-point blade with top swedge and stud, 2-piece all SS body with cutouts, single copper liner, and a lanyard hole. Weighs a comfortable 5 oz.'s, and came very sharp. Displays an Al Mar logo and wording etch on the front blade, and the copy number "15/200" etched on the back blade. Built in Seki, Japan. There is a unique latch system at the butt-end of the knife that folds open/closed to prevent unwanted openings, and I've included a pic of it. The second knife is an unnamed Kabar linerlock stiletto, and it's 7 1/4" oal/D2 steel dagger blade with top swedge, stud, and dual-flippers, light grey aluminum 2-piece body, adjustable pivot, single SS liner, and pocket-clip. Weighs a scant 2.3 oz.'s, and also came very sharp. Has a Dozier Design and Kabar etch on the front blade, and rear tang stamp of "JAPAN". Both knives have found their way into my collection due to the patience and generosity of Mark at SSk! 8)
WIN_20210325_12_42_16_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210325_19_16_08_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210325_12_42_58_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got this very nice A.G. Russell in my mailbox today, and it came from Mark at SSk! It's their 1-Hand lockback and is 7" oal/SS drop-point blade with thumb-hole, no liners, 2-piece all SS body, stud-style release, and a lanyard hole. Only weighs 2.7 oz.'s, and arrived very sharp. It bears AGR markings, and was built in Seki, Japan. The fit n' finish is superb, and it walks n' talks smooth n' snappy. Mark afforded me the opportunity to purchase a 1st production copy that was about US$60. more, but since 1st run didn't mean much to me I opted for this one! 8)
WIN_20210407_12_24_29_Pro.jpg
8)

Return to “Japanese-made knives”