Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by kennedy knives »

Great Looking Knife Garry ::handshake::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Agreed. I like that the false edge is rounded, softened if you will, rather than the typical linear line perpendicular to the spine.
Linear line is redundant isn't it? Each has its appeal but the curve takes more care and effort I would think.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:44 pm Out of his Custom series comes a fine hunting knife from Ichiro Hattori.

P1040093.JPGP1040094.JPGP1040095.JPGP1040096.JPG
Just as nice as it was in "Mail Call" Garry! ::tu:: A true masterpiece! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received this knife recently and wanted to show you guys! It's a Blackjack Donnybrook model prototype that was commissioned by Blackjack Knives to be built in Seki Japan over 30 years ago but never was, only a few were built by hand, and the attached paperwork says it's very rare. I first saw it here on the forum and asked it's owner if he'd be willing to part with it, and he was, but due to unseen circumstances that deal fell through, then I found this one on Ebay along with another one that has a different tang stamp and an asking price of US$1498., and although I paid-up a bit for mine, it was nowhere near US$1498.! The paperwork is from Jemmy Iwahara, the same fella that Mark(SSk)deals with at Japanese Knife Direct, so I've sent him an email asking if he would tell me why the 2 knives have different tang stamps, and if he knows a value, so I'm hoping he will respond. Mine along with the copy our fellow member has, have a front tang stamp of "FLT-1", and a back tang stamp of "Seki-Japan", but the copy still on Ebay has the official Blackjack logo and words as it's tang stamp, and I'm dying to know why they're different. If and when I get more info I'll edit my post. The specs are as follows! 8 3/8" oal linerlock/SS dagger blade with stud, NS bolsters, brass liners, and black ringed micarta covers. Approximate weight of 5 oz.'s, and only the bottom edge is factory sharp. I really like this one, and if anyone asked I'd say it is my perfect knife! If you click twice on the pics they will expand so you can read the letter from Jemmy! 8)
WIN_20210215_13_24_56_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210215_13_25_19_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210215_13_25_45_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210215_19_31_18_Pro.jpg
EDIT: I received a reply from Jemmy fellas, and he said that he doesn't know why there are different tang stamps but they usually didn't stamp their protos although he couldn't really remember from over 30 years ago, the protos were built by Mr. Noda who I have to assume is/was a renowned Japanese builder, and that the value would be whatever current collectors value is. Not a heck of a lot more to go on, but some! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yesir Mark, that tis absolutely the find of this century.
Snagging it, the way you did, is absolutely the knife story of 2021.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Marco, that is a truly remarkable acquisition. Design, history, rarity, = equal a once in a lifetime purchase; a legacy knife if ever there was one. Congratulations.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I can’t wait to hear Jemmy’s reply. Glad you could get that one. That is one nice score!
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks so much guys, I really appreciate your encouragement! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received 3 knives in today's mail, and 2 are Japanese builds so I want to show them to you guys! The first knife is an Al Mar Secret Service linerlock stiletto and is 7 7/8" oal/ SS modified spear-point blade with top swedge and stud, 2-piece all SS body with cutouts, single copper liner, and a lanyard hole. Weighs a comfortable 5 oz.'s, and came very sharp. Displays an Al Mar logo and wording etch on the front blade, and the copy number "15/200" etched on the back blade. Built in Seki, Japan. There is a unique latch system at the butt-end of the knife that folds open/closed to prevent unwanted openings, and I've included a pic of it. The second knife is an unnamed Kabar linerlock stiletto, and it's 7 1/4" oal/D2 steel dagger blade with top swedge, stud, and dual-flippers, light grey aluminum 2-piece body, adjustable pivot, single SS liner, and pocket-clip. Weighs a scant 2.3 oz.'s, and also came very sharp. Has a Dozier Design and Kabar etch on the front blade, and rear tang stamp of "JAPAN". Both knives have found their way into my collection due to the patience and generosity of Mark at SSk! 8)
WIN_20210325_12_42_16_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210325_19_16_08_Pro.jpg
WIN_20210325_12_42_58_Pro.jpg
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I got this very nice A.G. Russell in my mailbox today, and it came from Mark at SSk! It's their 1-Hand lockback and is 7" oal/SS drop-point blade with thumb-hole, no liners, 2-piece all SS body, stud-style release, and a lanyard hole. Only weighs 2.7 oz.'s, and arrived very sharp. It bears AGR markings, and was built in Seki, Japan. The fit n' finish is superb, and it walks n' talks smooth n' snappy. Mark afforded me the opportunity to purchase a 1st production copy that was about US$60. more, but since 1st run didn't mean much to me I opted for this one! 8)
WIN_20210407_12_24_29_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Very nice. That looks better in your photos than my photos.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thanks Mark! ::handshake:: Don't really know about my pic being better, you do some very nice photography with in-depth descriptions, and the customer always knows exactly what they're buying. 8)
8)
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Mark...you've snagged up some very exquisite and attractive knives. I really like the looks of the prototype knife / dagger. That one is exceptional. Nice procurement. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:10 pm Mark...you've snagged up some very exquisite and attractive knives. I really like the looks of the prototype knife / dagger. That one is exceptional. Nice procurement. ::tu::
Thank you Ken! ::handshake:: I always appreciate your valued opinion! 8)
8)
Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:12 am I received 3 knives in today's mail, and 2 are Japanese builds so I want to show them to you guys! The first knife is an Al Mar Secret Service linerlock stiletto and is 7 7/8" oal/ SS modified spear-point blade with top swedge and stud, 2-piece all SS body with cutouts, single copper liner, and a lanyard hole. Weighs a comfortable 5 oz.'s, and came very sharp. Displays an Al Mar logo and wording etch on the front blade, and the copy number "15/200" etched on the back blade. Built in Seki, Japan. There is a unique latch system at the butt-end of the knife that folds open/closed to prevent unwanted openings, and I've included a pic of it. The second knife is an unnamed Kabar linerlock stiletto, and it's 7 1/4" oal/D2 steel dagger blade with top swedge, stud, and dual-flippers, light grey aluminum 2-piece body, adjustable pivot, single SS liner, and pocket-clip. Weighs a scant 2.3 oz.'s, and also came very sharp. Has a Dozier Design and Kabar etch on the front blade, and rear tang stamp of "JAPAN". Both knives have found their way into my collection due to the patience and generosity of Mark at SSk! 8)WIN_20210325_12_42_16_Pro.jpgWIN_20210325_19_16_08_Pro.jpgWIN_20210325_12_42_58_Pro.jpg
The first, as for me, is the most stylish. If it's not a secret, how much did your purchase cost?
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Challenger007 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:27 am
Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:12 am I received 3 knives in today's mail, and 2 are Japanese builds so I want to show them to you guys! The first knife is an Al Mar Secret Service linerlock stiletto and is 7 7/8" oal/ SS modified spear-point blade with top swedge and stud, 2-piece all SS body with cutouts, single copper liner, and a lanyard hole. Weighs a comfortable 5 oz.'s, and came very sharp. Displays an Al Mar logo and wording etch on the front blade, and the copy number "15/200" etched on the back blade. Built in Seki, Japan. There is a unique latch system at the butt-end of the knife that folds open/closed to prevent unwanted openings, and I've included a pic of it. The second knife is an unnamed Kabar linerlock stiletto, and it's 7 1/4" oal/D2 steel dagger blade with top swedge, stud, and dual-flippers, light grey aluminum 2-piece body, adjustable pivot, single SS liner, and pocket-clip. Weighs a scant 2.3 oz.'s, and also came very sharp. Has a Dozier Design and Kabar etch on the front blade, and rear tang stamp of "JAPAN". Both knives have found their way into my collection due to the patience and generosity of Mark at SSk! 8)WIN_20210325_12_42_16_Pro.jpgWIN_20210325_19_16_08_Pro.jpgWIN_20210325_12_42_58_Pro.jpg
The first, as for me, is the most stylish. If it's not a secret, how much did your purchase cost?
No, it's not a secret 007! ::ds:: My friend Mark from SSk(Sharpnshinyknives)won it in an Ebay auction for me, because the seller wouldn't ship to Canada where I live, and he added a VERY small mark-up to it for his trouble and tying-up his own money, so the bottom-line was US$125., which I felt was more than reasonable considering they go for about US$300. brand new. Hope that helps! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

This knife was made by Koji Hara, well known custom knife maker. The frame of this knife is made of highly polished steel then heavily fluted.
Presentation grade MOP is used on both sides of the handle. The thumb stud is a small pearl. Closed length is 3". It is a liner lock. The action of the knife is as smooth as one would expect.

P1040236 (2).JPG
P1040235 (2).JPG
P1040233 (2).JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks for posting that here Garry. What a centerpiece for a collection, it’s just amazing. Congrats.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks again Mark. I was very fortunate in finding it. It had been relisted several times on ebay and no one was making any bids. I was able to pick it up at probably less than half its usual valuation.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Quick Steel wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:28 am This knife was made by Koji Hara, well known custom knife maker. The frame of this knife is made of highly polished steel then heavily fluted.
Presentation grade MOP is used on both sides of the handle. The thumb stud is a small pearl. Closed length is 3". It is a liner lock. The action of the knife is as smooth as one would expect.

P1040236 (2).JPGP1040235 (2).JPGP1040233 (2).JPG
Looks even better here than it did in "Mail Call" Garry. That is a truly sensational knife, and to get it for a reduced price just makes it that much sweeter. Congrats again! 8)
8)
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thanks for your comments Marco.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I got in another addition to my A.G. Russell collection. This is another lockback that I am sure was made by Master Fukuta. If this looks familiar that’s because the Marbles made for Benchmade, is basically the same model. This one has a little better fit and finish than the Marbles version. This one has desert ironwood handles. This is my third one of these. I took a photo of the three that I have. My first one has Chinese Quince burl wood handles. The larger version has cocobolo handles with a Damascus blade. Notice that the “run up” on all three is not quite as tight as most Moki made knives. I’ve noticed this on just about every Mr. Fukuta knife I’ve owned, it’s one way I can determine who made a particular knife for A.G. Russell.
Attachments
704B10FC-5BBE-47CD-88CF-A5E539932BDA.jpeg
945FB117-468A-4A51-BDAB-2C1ED443211A.jpeg
E25B959E-C9F0-4296-8A6B-27510DB74075.jpeg
DF14FF90-7CD0-47B3-8FB1-5DE30B514FA8.jpeg
23F4CE4C-90FB-4D33-BAB4-B728B88FE71B.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful addition to your AGR Moki's Mark. Those wooden covers really make them look rich n' warm. Congrats! 8)
8)
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Next to MOKI, my favorite Seki-made knife is the Beretta "Trident." This is my newest...it has a Cocobolo wood handle.

P7310013.JPG
P7310020.JPG
P7310021.JPG
P7310022.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful knife Q! ::tu:: Touches all the bases for me! 8)
8)

Return to “Japanese-made knives”