Post your Mcusta’s

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Post your Mcusta’s

Post by Madmarco »

Toejammer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:28 pm Mcusta MC - 14D Seki Japan. My first Damascus blade. The cocobolo wood really sets it off too. I'll never edc it, but it's fun to play with, really smooth opening with just a flick. 8)

Gorgeous knife T.J.! ::tu:: Congrats! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Toejammer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:37 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:08 pm
Toejammer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:42 pm

Thanks !

I've got a question though. Everything I read about these Damascus models it says "VG-10 core Damascus". Could this infer that they are San Mai constructions ? Looking at the blade it sure looks like the Damascus layers down to a hamon, and then stops, leaving the VG-10 for the edge. Just curious if anyone knows. ::shrug::
Yes it is San Mai. I think they gave up trying to distinguish the difference for folks. But it is definitely a San Mai blade with a VG-10 core and 33 layer stainless Damascus jacket.
Thank you sir ! ::tu::
Man :shock:, that tis taking blade smith'ing to a whole nether plain...

Doing straight Damascus, is hard enough.

Wrapping said steel, around a solid core, of a different grade, and getting them too fuse successfully together; well, that's takes some serious skill, and most of all, tons of patience!

I think this boi, is fine sticking with some good ole American (carbon) steel. All these different "exotic" metallurgy, is too much for this foggy brain to handle.
Give me some 1085 relief! ::mdm::

:lol:

Ah, again sir, amazing Mcusta!

I just have to find an existing dealing, up here in moose land. That way I'll circumvent customs completely. Yes, dealers are still allowed to import flippers, but we ordinary little people can't...
::shrug:: ::doh::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:50 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:08 pm

Yes it is San Mai. I think they gave up trying to distinguish the difference for folks. But it is definitely a San Mai blade with a VG-10 core and 33 layer stainless Damascus jacket.

Wrapping said steel, around a solid core, of a different grade, and getting them too fuse successfully together; well, that's takes some serious skill, and most of all, tons of patience!

I think this boi, is fine sticking with some good ole American (carbon) steel. All these different "exotic" metallurgy, is too much for this foggy brain to handle.

I just have to find an existing dealing, up here in moose land. That way I'll circumvent customs completely. Yes, dealers are still allowed to import flippers, but we ordinary little people can't...
Willy! Just FYI, www.srknivesandswords.com and www.warriorsandwonders.com are both Canadian companies that sell Mcustas so there would be no Customs, although, their prices are sky-high! Also, I'm not so sure that the dealers can still import flippers, since that's part of the problem that www.herooutdoors.com has with stock not being available, they place their orders with US and other suppliers, but they then get hung-up at the border. Apparently, some get through, some don't. Hero sells Mcustas too, but their prices are the highest of all. Thought you might wanna know! Mark! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:36 pm
WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:50 am

Willy! Just FYI, www.srknivesandswords.com and www.warriorsandwonders.com are both Canadian companies that sell Mcustas so there would be no Customs, although, their prices are sky-high! Also, I'm not so sure that the dealers can still import flippers, since that's part of the problem that www.herooutdoors.com has with stock not being available, they place their orders with US and other suppliers, but they then get hung-up at the border. Apparently, some get through, some don't. Hero sells Mcustas too, but their prices are the highest of all. Thought you might wanna know! Mark! 8)
Thank you Mark, the links are greatly appreciated mate.
::handshake::
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Got in these two today. The black one is from the Tactility Elite series. Black Micarta handles with San Mai blade of VG-10 and 33 layer Damascus stainless steel. The Micarta handles have a great feel to them in hand and look almost like wood. This would make a great working knife.
The second one has more story to it. This is from the Tactility line which has the thumb hole instead of the thumbstud. The exception to the rule is the Tactility Elite Series which has a thumbstud. This one is from the Sengoku series. Which is to celebrate the different Samurai that ruled the different states of Japan. This has the Kamon, or family crest, of Toyotomi Hideyoshi, he is the Samurai that finally united the warring states of Japan and became a regent of the emperor. This has some beautiful Pakkawood handles that are cut to look like the armor of the Samurai. All the Sengoku series have wood cut like this, it’s very impressive in hand. The blade is solid VG-10 stainless steel. Deploys like silk and both are razor sharp.
Attachments
DF81B329-8239-46BA-BA37-B24955A22DCB.jpeg
2B22BC35-3450-4BA1-8191-1EAEB7AA9592.jpeg
A8C619EC-3F20-48FD-9F2C-5F3D1A2006CA.jpeg
E73EC8CB-D165-48F0-BB0D-B9E6F20B92D7.jpeg
EFA19CD4-C88B-425C-BDFD-29C66E77C3F6.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It seems to me that Mcusta has reconciled two challenges that most brands cannot achieve. First, a Mcusta knife is highly recognizable even from a distance. Regardless of the materials used a Mcusta has a "look" that immediately identifies it. But second, Mcusta invariably offers unique, creative, and imaginative combinations of design and materials that are always attractive and very often beautiful.

Mark, It is easy to understand why you and others are drawn to this brand.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very impressive Mark! ::tu:: Congratulations on acquiring more Mcustas! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Garry, that is a good analysis of Mcusta.
Thanks Mark.

Here are some that I recently came across on the JKD website and I also saw that ePrague has these on Ebay. I know the picture quality is poor, but it’s the best I can do. These are called the four seasons. These are sorely tempting me to get all four. Here is the description from the website: The precision inlay work Mcusta Custom Limited Edition just came up with a theme of "Japanese Four Seasons" (日本の四季) featuring each Japanese traditional seasonal object and motif of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter on the wooden Folding Fan (扇子) and Gold Folding Screen (金屏風) inspired from the ancient art screen 扇面散図屏風、Important National Treasure in Edo Period (1700 year)

It shows floating Folding Fans in the water called "Oogi Nagashi" ( 扇流し), that was the graceful entertainment for aristocrats in medieval times to enjoy the elegance. We can still see this traditional event at Mifune festival held every May in Kyoto.

We have expressed this scene on the Brass handle with black coated trim representing Gold screen, and Folding fan in a water stream that is patina finished (a bright bluish-green encrustation or patina formed on brass by atmospheric oxidation). It is a time-consuming process, and you will enjoy a color change by times.

This Mcusta "Platinum Label" Custom Limited Edition will be produced only 25 pieces each of Four Seasons with serial numbers of "001-025" engraved on the blade heel. The polished Brass handle has a precious Japanese Persimmon wood (黒柿) Folding Fan inlaid on the middle with Blue stream line and each seasonal objects perforated on the brass.
Attachments
1750D3CB-87FB-45C9-A853-C29C6DCEB27A.jpeg
1750D3CB-87FB-45C9-A853-C29C6DCEB27A.jpeg (51.72 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
390F40BE-CDD7-46AD-ADAB-0AD727D3D363.jpeg
390F40BE-CDD7-46AD-ADAB-0AD727D3D363.jpeg (30.19 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
F6B453DD-86DB-4D6A-9F42-9708013DDD43.jpeg
F6B453DD-86DB-4D6A-9F42-9708013DDD43.jpeg (52.05 KiB) Viewed 4626 times
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I just received this beautiful Mcusta Bamboo designed linerlock, and although it's been seen before in this thread I wanted to post it again because it's so nice! It comes in at 6 1/2" oal and has a VG-10 Damascus drop-point blade with dual-studs, 33 layer Damascus stainless steel body, a single SS liner, blue anodized adjustable pivot, and held together with screws not pins. Weight is 3.3 oz.'s, and it arrived shaving-sharp. Has Mcusta markings, and was hand-made in Seki, Japan. Mcustas are built with an oiled-washer system that allows for silky-smooth walk n' talk, and the fit n' finish is excellent. The moment I picked this knife up I thought of the 8" version that is considerably more expensive, but is one that's already on my "Wishlist"! I could hold and play with this knife all day long, and that's exactly what I'm doing right now! A high quality folder at a reasonable price for such a well built knife! 8)
WIN_20210311_11_35_31_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That knife is a looker. I toted one in my pocket for a couple of days when I first encountered these knives and was so impressed with the way it felt in my pocket. It’s a smooth feel and not bulky at all. I couldn’t stop taking it out and opening and closing it over and over. Had to put it in my display case to get my mind off of it.
Glad you like this so much. Congrats!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:50 pm That knife is a looker. I toted one in my pocket for a couple of days when I first encountered these knives and was so impressed with the way it felt in my pocket. It’s a smooth feel and not bulky at all. I couldn’t stop taking it out and opening and closing it over and over. Had to put it in my display case to get my mind off of it.
Glad you like this so much. Congrats!
Thanks Mark! ::handshake:: With my recent turn of events it seems I have to go out more than I usually do, and I can't think of a good reason that I shouldn't carry my new knife with me, so that's what I'll do and perhaps it'll come in handy dealing with boxes, string and such. Even if I don't find a use for it, it'll be very comforting having it in my pocket! Thanks again for waiting and your discounted price! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Well don to the both of you mates, she's a looker.
8)

Now I need to get meself some Mcusta, to see for myself, what tis all the rage about.
::tu::
Winston Churchill

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:26 am Well don to the both of you mates, she's a looker.
8)

Now I need to get meself some Mcusta, to see for myself, what tis all the rage about.
Thanks Willy! ::handshake:: Be forewarned though, once you handle a Mcusta you're addicted, and it's tough going back to other knives! Jus' sayin'! 8)
8)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:31 am
WillyCamaro wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:26 am Well don to the both of you mates, she's a looker.
8)

Thanks Willy! ::handshake:: Be forewarned though, once you handle a Mcusta you're addicted, and it's tough going back to other knives! Jus' sayin'! 8)
Don't worry mate, all good knives get loved by me, no matter where they come from (that includes ole china, :D ).
Winston Churchill

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I received my 3rd Mcusta today from Mark at SSk, and this one is equally as nice as my previous 2! It's from the M-3 Series and is 7 1/2" oal/VG-10 drop-point blade with dual-studs, single SS liner, screw construction, adjustable pivot, blue 2-piece aluminum body with gold accents, lanyard hole, and a pocket-clip. Weighs a comfortable 3.4 oz.'s, and arrived extremely sharp. Shows Mcusta markings. Excellent fit n' finish, and silky-smooth walk n' talk, due to it's oiled-washer system which is found in all Mcustas. I could sit and 1-hand open/close this beautiful folder all day long! 8)
WIN_20210407_12_24_59_Pro.jpg
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I rediscovered that knife when I got it ready to ship to you. It is a fantastic knife and hard to put down. It’s a beauty.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you Mark! ::handshake:: And I wholeheartedly agree, this knife is gorgeous, even if it is addictive! What a great habit to have, huh? 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I got a really good deal on this Mcusta last week and couldn’t pass this one up. I have been wanting one with this SPG2 powder steel since Madmarco pointed out that Mcusta had some larger versions of their most popular knives with this stainless steel. This knife measures 4 1/2” closed OAL. Black linen Micarta handles with this blade “ MC-121G has Tsuchime Hammered Finished SPG-2 San Mail Clad blade. (HRC62) SPG-2 (Super Gold II) is a powder metallurgy ‘super steel’ that has become a popular knife steel because of its jaw-dropping cutting performance, excellent edge retention and high corrosion resistance.”
This steel has a Rockwell hardness of 62, which is right toward the top end of hardness. It’s probably a bear to sharpen, fortunately you wouldn’t need to do it very often with that hardness the edge retention should be fantastic.
I am just a little disappointed with this knife. The blade opening is not silky smooth like I have gotten use to on all my other Mcusta’s, it moves like the pivot is too tight, but I can’t loosen the pivot pin, it seems to be designed to stay where they put it. I oiled it with KPL oil to loosen it and worked it open and closed and there was no change.
The other thing I don’t like is the thumb hole. I much prefer a thumbstud, but when it comes to sharpening the thumb hole will be much easier to work with and with this hardness of steel, I think the thumb hole is probably a wise choice.
The edge of the blade on this looks wicked sharp but honestly I had to work really hard to cut hair on my arm with this blade and that’s not something I have seen on a Mcusta before.
Some of these models with this SPG2 powder steel are close to 400 dollars. This model runs a bit more than half of that. I would love to hear what anyone else has to say about these with this steel.
Attachments
6A91781E-D4D5-40EA-907E-9C8C326B3419.jpeg
25A3122F-234D-46E4-AE12-235FBBA1A5BF.jpeg
A0456A0D-3883-49E4-8995-37086E4BF6EC.jpeg
8601D6A4-4222-44A7-A8A7-2FAD0EB14235.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:07 pm I got a really good deal on this Mcusta last week and couldn’t pass this one up. I have been wanting one with this SPG2 powder steel since Madmarco pointed out that Mcusta had some larger versions of their most popular knives with this stainless steel. This knife measures 4 1/2” closed OAL. Black linen Micarta handles with this blade “ MC-121G has Tsuchime Hammered Finished SPG-2 San Mail Clad blade. (HRC62) SPG-2 (Super Gold II) is a powder metallurgy ‘super steel’ that has become a popular knife steel because of its jaw-dropping cutting performance, excellent edge retention and high corrosion resistance.”
This steel has a Rockwell hardness of 62, which is right toward the top end of hardness. It’s probably a bear to sharpen, fortunately you wouldn’t need to do it very often with that hardness the edge retention should be fantastic.
I am just a little disappointed with this knife. The blade opening is not silky smooth like I have gotten use to on all my other Mcusta’s, it moves like the pivot is too tight, but I can’t loosen the pivot pin, it seems to be designed to stay where they put it. I oiled it with KPL oil to loosen it and worked it open and closed and there was no change.
The other thing I don’t like is the thumb hole. I much prefer a thumbstud, but when it comes to sharpening the thumb hole will be much easier to work with and with this hardness of steel, I think the thumb hole is probably a wise choice.
The edge of the blade on this looks wicked sharp but honestly I had to work really hard to cut hair on my arm with this blade and that’s not something I have seen on a Mcusta before.
Some of these models with this SPG2 powder steel are close to 400 dollars. This model runs a bit more than half of that. I would love to hear what anyone else has to say about these with this steel.
Mark! First off, what a beautiful knife! I've been watching this model for awhile, and I'm sure it'll be a future purchase. A suggestion for loosening the pivot. I recently ran into the same problem and what I did was, pressed my thumb against the pivot side WITHOUT a torx opening(the mark side)for a screwdriver and turned the screw from the side with a torx opening,(the pile side)and it worked, although, a lot of pressure needed to be applied to the non-torx side. I think the best way to accomplish this is to pinch the mark side screw with your thumb while your first finger pinches the body on the pile side, and then attempt to turn the screw. I will go on to suggest trying some Quick Release oil on the pivot AFTER you have found the pivot's "sweet spot", there is something special about this oil and it just might do the trick. Good luck with this issue, I'd hate to see you not enjoy your new knife. 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark, I will try that to loosen this pivot. Not that I am likely to use it, but I like my knives to be in tip top shape even if just on display.
It is a good looking knife, thanks for the compliments.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I agree wholeheartedly Mark. You want your knife to operate properly whenever you pick it up, even if it's only to admire and play with, and if it's not doing so one is likely to just pass it by for the knife beside it that you know is working properly. That knife is a nice match for your similar model with a stud and black covers, so I sure hope you can get it up to par. ::pray:: 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a new fixed blade by Mcusta I spotted just this morning. I haven’t seen very many Mcusta fixed blades and was surprised to see this new series of Platinum Series knives they produced. Here is the description: “The Platinum Label collection by Mcusta offers the highest degree of quality and craftsmanship with special limited edition knives. This custom collection focuses on unique designs with special materials and finishes which exemplify Mcusta's passion for precision and traditional Japanese craftsmanship. This Mcusta Platinum Label knife is limited to only 90 pieces with each individually serialized. These are offered in two sorted general color schemes (although they are all part of the same limited edition run): Red Tones and Green Tones.

It features a San Mai stainless steel blade with VG-10 core that has a deep acid etched random pattern finish. The handle is made of stabilized wood and features a gem-like hand finished texture and is inlaid into a cutout in the blade. The top of the blade is hand-ground textured and the spine of the handle is ground to resemble waves. The bottom of the handle is mirror polished. It measures 7.125" long overall and the blade measures 3.375" long. This special custom knife comes in a wood presentation box with Platinum Label card and leather sheath.”

Thought you Japanese knife lovers would be interested in seeing this.
Attachments
3D82BCE2-282C-46C7-99AD-D7BB66FDE48A.jpeg
2DD53F88-3AD3-456D-918E-C29F46771A99.jpeg
C0163170-2C2D-44F0-8D24-45EC65345D73.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, I wouldn't have expected these from Mcusta. Very impressive; creative, totally original.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful new models Mark! ::tu:: I'm liking the red slightly more than the green, although I'm sure in person both look much better than the pictures! Which one or both are you getting? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Mark, I don’t plan on getting one of these. I am not a big fixed blade collector. These are 396 dollars each and there are a lot of other folders I would buy for that money. I wouldn’t turn one down if offered though. I would love to get my hands on one, that might change my mind about buying one. I’m sure these are as fine as some of the fixed blades I already have.

Garry, I am also surprised to see these from Mcusta. But they do offer chef knives, so I guess it isn’t out of their wheelhouse to offer another fixed blade.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”