Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I would enjoy seeing your knives from the great knife masters in Seki Japan. Doesn’t have to be just the 3 brands in the title, it could also be other knives such as from Koji Hara. I know he collaborated on a knife for Buck a few years ago. Getting a Koji Hara is on my list and so is one from his son Dew.
So let’s see them. I will start w/ just two for now. I like to include one of my favorite features of these Japanese knives, the fit of the blade to the backspring when the knife is open. Incredible tolerances on these.
The second knife is from A.G.Russell contracted by A.G.and made by Moki for them. Black lipped pearl, one of my favorites.
It has a thumbstud, which I find essential.
I searched and searched to see if there was a thread just for posting pictures of these knives and didn’t find one, if there is one of the administrators can feel free to delete this.
Thanks,
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4187.jpeg
IMG_4188.jpeg
IMG_4189.jpeg
IMG_4184.jpeg
IMG_4185.jpeg
IMG_4186.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by Railsplitter »

Moki Calliope.
Attachments
IMG_3798.JPG
IMG_3796.JPG
IMG_3797.JPG
IMG_3800.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote:Moki Calliope.
Rick, That’s beautiful. I don’t think I’ve seen that one. I love the black. Don’t you love the fit on that backspring and knife?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:Moki Calliope.
Rick, That’s beautiful. I don’t think I’ve seen that one. I love the black. Don’t you love the fit on that backspring and knife?
SSk
Thanks, SSk. Yes, they are extremely well made knives. I don't see this model around much either which is one of the many reasons that I like it. I like to venture outside of the norm from time to time.

I do have to look pretty hard to see that junction at the tang and backspring. Good knives for sure.

Yours are stunning! Ole A.G. Russell sure knows who to seek out for quality in his knives.
Rick T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark, the pearl Moki with inlaid abalone 'leaf' is exquisite.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Mark, the pearl Moki with inlaid abalone 'leaf' is exquisite.
kj
Well, Great minds think alike. It is an “exquisite” example of the fine inlay work that Moki does. Can’t imagine putting these together and making them fit and finish so well. Truely masters at their craft.
Thanks,
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is another Moki that just takes your breath away. Gold lipped pearl and white pearl inlaid in diamond patterns. The fit of the blade to the backspring on this one is almost impossible to see any line at all between them when fully locked open.
Let’s see some more. Anyone have a Mcusta to show?
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4259.jpeg
IMG_4260.jpeg
IMG_4261.jpeg
IMG_4262.jpeg
IMG_4263.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow ! I have never seen that one before. Must have been a 'limited edition'. I bet in sunlight the handles are rainbows.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Wow SSk. That's a nice one!
Rick T.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Wow ! I have never seen that one before. Must have been a 'limited edition'. I bet in sunlight the handles are rainbows.
kj
Roland, I think they only made 100 of these. They are serial numbered. The were only available for a short time and I can’t remember how I found out about it. It does sparkle. That pearl is top drawer.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote:Wow SSk. That's a nice one!
Thanks Rick. Got any Mcusta’s to show?
SSk
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
SSk
I'm afraid not. They are attractive knives but so far I haven't seen one that I just had to have. As soon as I do though, that'll be all she wrote.
Rick T.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Railsplitter wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
SSk
I'm afraid not. They are attractive knives but so far I haven't seen one that I just had to have. As soon as I do though, that'll be all she wrote.
Rick, I know what you mean. If you have more Moki’s, lets see them.
I look at the Japanese Knives Direct website and when I see the Koji Hara or Dew Hara knives, I get obsessed w/ them. Going to have one, someday, I hope.
SSk
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Here are some early AL Mar knives.
Attachments
DSC08484.JPG
DSC08486.JPG
DSC08488.JPG
DSC08492.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wow, very nice Gent's knives.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

btrwtr wrote:Here are some early AL Mar knives.

I’ve never seen the top ones in black before. I really like those. Al Mars are missing entirely from my collection. I bid on the when I see them but they always go for more than I am willing to pay.
All very nice and very useable.
SSk
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

I came over to check out your thread SSK. Some beautiful knives! :shock:

I've always been a fan of Al Mar knives. I don't have any at the moment but a few have passed through my hands over the years. I'll have to stop in here occasionally to see any new additions.
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sasquach wrote:I came over to check out your thread SSK. Some beautiful knives! :shock:

I've always been a fan of Al Mar knives. I don't have any at the moment but a few have passed through my hands over the years. I'll have to stop in here occasionally to see any new additions.
Thanks Charlie, I hope you like this one too. It’s not a Moki,Mcusta or an Al Mar, but it is one of the “other” Seki made knives. This one was made by Master Imai a few years before he passed. The handle is ivory and the bolsters and knife are made from Damascus stainless. It is a Lovelace design called a “city knife” w/ a Warnecliff blade.
Hope you all like this one.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4285.jpeg
IMG_4286.jpeg
IMG_4287.jpeg
IMG_4288.jpeg
Sasquach
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Sasquach »

Now that's a rare beauty! :shock:
A GOOD KNIFE IS LIKE A GOOD FRIEND, IT'LL NEVER LET YOU DOWN.

“Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.”
~ John Wayne ~

Charlie (Squach)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Sasquach wrote:Now that's a rare beauty! :shock:

Thanks Charlie, I couldn’t stop thinking about it and had to buy it. It was all I got for Christmas one year, totally worth it.
SSk
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is another Moki that I have. This is the first Moki that I bought, got me hooked on Moki’s. Love that red.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_4272.jpeg
IMG_4273.jpeg
IMG_4274.jpeg
IMG_4275.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The above Moki looks much like a Jess Horn knife. The biggest difference is price, not workmanship because Moki knives are as precise as possible.
A Jess Horn knife costs $2,000 to $3,700. For the same money you can buy more than 10 Moki knives.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

A.G. Russell's Loveless Gentleman's Folder.
This knife, history & design as described by A.G. :
"In the mid 1980s, Bob Loveless designed two knives for me: a lockback folder and an integral hunting knife. A few years ago I had our engineer, Phil Gibbs, create proper cad drawings. I sent the drawings to Moki, the best folder maker in Seki City, Japan, planning to send Bob a set of the knives. Sadly, Bob passed away before they were ready.

This lockback measures 3-1⁄2" closed, with a classic Loveless 3" semi-skinner blade of 11⁄16" wide and 1⁄8" thick VG-10, hardened to 60-62 Rc. "

KJ
Attachments
IMGP5325.JPG
IMGP5326.JPG
IMGP5327.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

These Japanese knives are knocking my socks off. SSK your Master Imai knife is profoundly beautiful.The Red Moki is merely superb. :) ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:A.G. Russell's Loveless Gentleman's Folder.
This knife, history & design as described by A.G. :
"In the mid 1980s, Bob Loveless designed two knives for me: a lockback folder and an integral hunting knife. A few years ago I had our engineer, Phil Gibbs, create proper cad drawings. I sent the drawings to Moki, the best folder maker in Seki City, Japan, planning to send Bob a set of the knives. Sadly, Bob passed away before they were ready.

This lockback measures 3-1⁄2" closed, with a classic Loveless 3" semi-skinner blade of 11⁄16" wide and 1⁄8" thick VG-10, hardened to 60-62 Rc. "

KJ
Roland, I remember that knife from A.G. Russell Catalog and remember reading that. I have a lot of A.G. Russell catalogs from years and years. I tend to keep anything w/ knives in them Case catalogs, SMKW catalogs, Shepherd Hills catalogs and A.G. Russells. To name a few.
You are right about the fit and finish and being able to buy 10 compared to one. I know of no other knife maker that has this quality at this price. I recently acquired a Case TB Norfolk and it comes close on the tolerances but even that doesn’t match these Moki’s. And it’s over 2 times the price of 1 Moki.
Glad that Quicksteel is getting excited about these Japanese knives, they are so overlooked and under appreciated. Once you buy one, you will want more. Also, you will be stunned by the fit, finish and quality of each knife. If you aren’t, I will buy it from you.
Years ago when I first got that red Moki, I carried it but didn’t use it. I showed it off to anyone that would listen. I showed it to my Lord Abbett wholesaler and really sold him on these. He is now a BIG collector of Moki’s, he gives them as gifts. Wish I was on his gift list.
Thanks Roland and Quicksteel. Keep em coming.
SSk

Return to “Japanese-made knives”