Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
cody6268

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by cody6268 »

Very nice knife! Kinda like an old German hunter, or even a bartender knife (both of which have used locking blades with secondary/pen blade releases), but with a more practical layout. I could see this as being a perfect EDC for me.

Is the Wharncliffe lock release easy to use?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:17 pm Very nice knife! Kinda like an old German hunter, or even a bartender knife (both of which have used locking blades with secondary/pen blade releases), but with a more practical layout. I could see this as being a perfect EDC for me.

Is the Wharncliffe lock release easy to use?
Yes it is. It doesn’t take a large amount of pressure to get the blade to disengage, but it does feel solid when engaged.
I was thinking the same thing about a good EDC, But I don’t have a need for this bigger blade most of the time. This is a knife that would last a lifetime, it’s that well built. I actually bought this to resell, but after handling it, I just don’t know if I can turn it lose. Japanese knives are my favorites.
And it is called a hunter. Since it’s a hunter, can you tell me what the screwdriver is for? Is that for working on a gun?
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a picture of the back side of the knife. I forgot to post it earlier. I am impressed with how nice the pile side looks.
Attachments
IMG_1458.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Montanaman

Post by Montanaman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:14 am Here is a picture of the back side of the knife. I forgot to post it earlier. I am impressed with how nice the pile side looks.
Nice one! That is classic A.G. Russell bone, have seen it on Bose knives too.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Third that. Very nice looking, old school design. Bone is especially good looking on that one.
::tu::
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks guys that bone and color really are something. Just bought another one that does look brown in the pictures and it’s from 2 years earlier 1990. Looking forward to getting it as well. After handling this one, I am going to start picking up these Japanese Cattaraugus Knives when I can. If they are all made this well, then these are extremely overlooked and underrated in the collector’s world.
My first experience with Cattaraugus knives is with the small bullet lockback, which is a very light and precise Japanese made knife. I just didn’t realize the heft and great “in hand” feel these bigger knives had. I’m very impressed.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Good looking Knife you need a Sub Heading on the main Page for Moki, Mcusta, AL-Mar And other Seki Made Knives ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Agreed Gary. Although it seems like I do most of the posting on this one, so maybe that’s why it hasn’t been moved to it’s own subgroup.
Here is another Cattaraugus I just picked up. I’m on the hunt for these now. This is a sleeve board Whittler made for the KCC for A.G. Russell, made in Seki Japan. I am loving the mirror polish on the backsprings on all these knives. The polishing on all these is superb, on blades, bolsters and backsprings. Only problem is, it’s easy to smudge, reminds me of my lenses on my glasses.
I included a picture of the backsprings with the reflection of the box off the surface.
Attachments
IMG_1519.jpeg
IMG_1520.jpeg
IMG_1525.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Very refined. It strikes me as elegant.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Man, another superb example there Mark ::tu:: .
I think these are some of the best looking knives I've ever seen, as good as GEC's best Tidioute releases. Might need to pick up myself a couple in the future, as I need more knives :roll: :mrgreen: .
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What would be the ultimate is to find an original Cattaraugus of the same pattern in top condition. Even though pattern might be identical pocket knives somehow have personalities and the presence given off by an old USA made knife is different from a recent Japan made knife. Nothing to do with which is 'better' just fascinating that they would seem different, demonstrable if you had an example of each.
This pattern is deeper than the usual sleeveboard. I am not sure what it is called other than whittler maybe "sleeveboard baby sunfish whittler" ?
oh, nice knife too ! ::super_happy::
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got another Cattaraugus Hunter. This one does have brown jigged bone handles. It was made 2 years earlier than the red one posted a few days ago.
These Cattaraugus knives are all over the top.
Attachments
IMG_1530.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_1534.jpeg
IMG_1535.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:01 pm Got another Cattaraugus Hunter. This one does have brown jigged bone handles. It was made 2 years earlier than the red one posted a few days ago.
These Cattaraugus knives are all over the top.
I agree ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I picked up another Mcusta MC 37 this week. I posted all the MC 3 series earlier in this thread. This is the first time I have been able to acquire one to offer for resale. I love this knife. It’s my favorite of the MC 3 series. The handle is made of 33 layer Damascus stainless. Blade is San Mai VG 10 core stainless. A fantastic knife.
Attachments
IMG_1583.jpeg
IMG_1584.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:10 pm I picked up another Mcusta MC 37 this week. I posted all the MC 3 series earlier in this thread. This is the first time I have been able to acquire one to offer for resale. I love this knife. It’s my favorite of the MC 3 series. The handle is made of 33 layer Damascus stainless. Blade is San Mai VG 10 core stainless. A fantastic knife.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

The Japanese productions seem to come from another dimension. ::tu::
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 am What would be the ultimate is to find an original Cattaraugus of the same pattern in top condition. Even though pattern might be identical pocket knives somehow have personalities and the presence given off by an old USA made knife is different from a recent Japan made knife. Nothing to do with which is 'better' just fascinating that they would seem different, demonstrable if you had an example of each.
This pattern is deeper than the usual sleeveboard. I am not sure what it is called other than whittler maybe "sleeveboard baby sunfish whittler" ?
oh, nice knife too ! ::super_happy::
kj
Roland, I was just browsing this thread and read your post. I have one of these original Catt Jumbo Whittlers that the A.G. Russell used to model his knife after. This is the Cattaraugus 32959. It has a 100 year old patina, not shinny anymore but the blades are full. This is one of my favorite knives.
Attachments
CATT JUMBO FT.jpg
CATT JUMBO BK.jpg
Barry
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Barry. That really is a beauty. Such an elegant pattern and the condition is perfect & real, never buffed/cleaned.
You have some very fine knives.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:22 pm The Japanese productions seem to come from another dimension. ::tu::
Garry, that’s a good way to describe it. I have no idea how they do it, but they must be very dedicated, obsessed with detail and perfectionists. Plus their designs are amazing too.
On the older Cattaraugus sleeveboard Whittler, I would say they nailed the reproduction of that one.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

When I set my attention on something to collect I don’t let moss grow under my feet. Here is another Cattaraugus from A.G.Russell’s KCC. This one is a toothpick. Has an interesting bolster lock. Not the bolster lock that moves the entire bolster but part of the bolster is moveable into a locking position on the blade. I like it but it’s a little difficult to move, unlock most liner locks. It also has the mirror polish on the back-springs, which I love. This is a small toothpick at 3” closed OAL. Again impeccable fit and finish.
Attachments
IMG_1600.jpeg
IMG_1601.jpeg
IMG_1602.jpeg
IMG_1605.jpeg
IMG_1607.jpeg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I've got his big bro, comes in around 4 5/8".
Attachments
IMG_20191003_193221141.jpg
IMG_20191003_193252395.jpg
IMG_20191003_193305464.jpg
IMG_20191003_193314638.jpg
IMG_20191003_193332788.jpg
IMG_20191003_193239694.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

That’s considerable bigger. I’m hunting for all of them at this point. I bet these make good EDC knives. I like a locking blade on any knife I carry and use. That’s a nice one you have there.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:45 pm When I set my attention on something to collect I don’t let moss grow under my feet. Here is another Cattaraugus from A.G.Russell’s KCC. This one is a toothpick. Has an interesting bolster lock. Not the bolster lock that moves the entire bolster but part of the bolster is moveable into a locking position on the blade. I like it but it’s a little difficult to move, unlock most liner locks. It also has the mirror polish on the back-springs, which I love. This is a small toothpick at 3” closed OAL. Again impeccable fit and finish.
I like the bolster lock ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Bump ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Bump Bump ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Winston Churchill

Return to “Japanese-made knives”