Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Moki, Mcusta, Al Mar and other Seki Made Knives

Post by doglegg »

Good looking knives Philip. I bet they don't last long. ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

SOG Knives, in my opinion, are some of the most under appreciated Seki knives out there. They make a fine product with very sharp edges, great fit and finish and extreme usability. I hope they receive the appreciation they are due when you list them, someone will be getting a very fine knife.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

philco wrote:Here's a couple of Seki made SOG knives my wife will be putting in her store soon. Thought I'd share them here before they're gone.
Hi Phil what are you asking for them ::handshake::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just got an email from JKD. Master Koji Hara has this new knife for sale, blade and handle both made out of R2 nickle Koji-Damascus. Just incredible. Along with several others. But these aren’t cheap , 2200 for the one in the picture. Check them out here: http://www.japaneseknifedirect.com/KojiHara.html
Attachments
Koji%20Hara%203A%20(1)_R.jpg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Am amazing collection of knives by the Hara's. Spectacular.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have always bought a custom because i liked it. I did not consider the future, which for a knife collector includes selling your knives. Even if you 'take 'em with you', your heirs will sell them.
Unless a knife maker has a strong following in U.S.A. selling on secondary market brings a 30%-50% loss. If you only have a few and you have enjoyed owning them, the financial loss is not hard to accept. But if you have a collection of custom knives the loss can be significant.
I think the high end custom Japanese knives are ones that might 'suffer' from too few buyers on the secondary market. Hence only buy what speaks to you and won't stop doing so, i.e. buy for love.
Knives above $20,000 are the ones that hold their value best.
kj
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Anyone ever tried the Japanese Klein Tools knives? I've been looking at them quite a bit lately. Harder steel than the old Delrin scaled designs, and OHO.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

kj, I've frequently had the same thought you expressed. That is, I think the market for the Japanese knives in the U.S. is small. I am not a seller, at least not yet, so I have no personal concern about this. Nevertheless, with higher end knives no matter their origin, love should be the determining factor.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I think that Master Koji Hara and his son Dew Hara are building a following here in the states. They aren’t where Master Hattori is yet but they are coming along quickly. I saw their names on the list of vendors that attended the Blade Show in Atlanta. It’s a good thing I didn’t go ,I would have bought one of their knives for sure. The knives they make are simply elegant, I have no idea how useable they are but they make some of the most impressive knives out there.
Masters Hattori and Imai have very useful knives and made to extreme high quality. Hattori knives bring a pretty penny whenever you see them for sale. Surprisingly Imai knives tend to sit unsold for some unexplainable reason. Since Master Imai died 5 years ago, I expected his knives to appreciate in price, but I haven’t seen that happen yet. Whereas Master Hattori knives sell out quickly and bring top dollar and he is till making knives, although he is in his 80’s and slowing down. It’s so hard to try and outguess where the market is going on Japanese knives. I think Garry is right, buy from love of the knife, because as Roland said it’s probably not going to appreciate in value. I know the Japanese knives I own I bought because I love the knives and not concerned with resell on these.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

cody6268 wrote:Anyone ever tried the Japanese Klein Tools knives? I've been looking at them quite a bit lately. Harder steel than the old Delrin scaled designs, and OHO.

Cody, I haven’t tried one. I had one a few years ago and sold it without knowing much about it. Wish I hadn’t. I think they make fine products. While not up to Moki or Mcusta standards, these knives are very well made and have very good fit and finish. Given the price of these, I say go for it and get yourself one. Please let us know how you like it.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
cody6268 wrote:Anyone ever tried the Japanese Klein Tools knives? I've been looking at them quite a bit lately. Harder steel than the old Delrin scaled designs, and OHO.

Cody, I haven’t tried one. I had one a few years ago and sold it without knowing much about it. Wish I hadn’t. I think they make fine products. While not up to Moki or Mcusta standards, these knives are very well made and have very good fit and finish. Given the price of these, I say go for it and get yourself one. Please let us know how you like it.
At present I have the old Buck 110 clone they call a "Sportsman's Knife. I'm under the impression it is the same knife as the Jet Aer/G-96 knives; likely made in the same factory. Really hard steel. Klein, with their commitment to American manufacturing (which I applaud), made a mistake by changing to USA production on that model. They replaced it with a really cheap Kutmaster Folding Hunter type knife that is not worth their $50 MSRP. Yet I feel the Japanese one is, worth that amount.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is the Mcusta Kamon Series knife. This one has the family crest of “Sasa”. There were 7 of these Kamon knives made a few years ago. This series is still going just not with these stainless handles with enamel inside the laser cut crests. This one has a VG-10 core and 33 layer Damascus blade. Opens smoothly and locks up tight and hair shaving sharp.
Attachments
IMG_0697.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Here is the Mcusta Kamon Series knife. This one has the family crest of “Sasa”. There were 7 of these Kamon knives made a few years ago. This series is still going just not with these stainless handles with enamel inside the laser cut crests. This one has a VG-10 core and 33 layer Damascus blade. Opens smoothly and locks up tight and hair shaving sharp.
Very Nice Knife ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am sure it is extremely precise, everywhere. Use it x one life time and it is just as precise. You never need to buy another knife. I am sure Mark is now breathing a sigh of relief :)
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is another Mcusta that is being auctioned. I posted a picture of the one I have several pages back in this thread. I love this basket weave stainless handle and the Damascus blade. Here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mcusta-MCU37C- ... 3778737708
I also included a few pictures of my entire MC3 collection. Gary Kennedy helped me complete this collection, he is a great resource for finding the high quality Seki made knives, just ask him when you are looking for knives made in Japan.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (23.47 KiB) Viewed 4880 times
IMG_5023.jpeg
IMG_4941.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Picked up another Mcusta in the Katana Series. I realized while opening and closing this knife a few times that this Tanto blade is perfect for opening letters. Plus the angle on this Tanto is not extreme and I suspect that eventually, with enough sharpening, this will look more like a drop point blade and be more rounded.
These Katana series are all San Mai clad VG-10 core. The handles are double anodized aluminum in two colors and are flawless. All Mcusta’s have an oiled washer system that allows for a very smooth deployment. Double thumb studs make this ambidextrous. Comes with a pocket clip and liner lock.
I will be posting this one for sale soon, the blue and orange one is already in my store.
Attachments
IMG_0894.jpeg
IMG_0895.jpeg
IMG_0902.jpeg
IMG_0901.jpeg
IMG_0896.jpeg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Picked up another Mcusta in the Katana Series. I realized while opening and closing this knife a few times that this Tanto blade is perfect for opening letters. Plus the angle on this Tanto is not extreme and I suspect that eventually, with enough sharpening, this will look more like a drop point blade and be more rounded.
These Katana series are all San Mai clad VG-10 core. The handles are double anodized aluminum in two colors and are flawless. All Mcusta’s have an oiled washer system that allows for a very smooth deployment. Double thumb studs make this ambidextrous. Comes with a pocket clip and liner lock.
I will be posting this one for sale soon, the blue and orange one is already in my store.
2 great looking knives
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

edge213 wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Picked up another Mcusta in the Katana Series. I realized while opening and closing this knife a few times that this Tanto blade is perfect for opening letters. Plus the angle on this Tanto is not extreme and I suspect that eventually, with enough sharpening, this will look more like a drop point blade and be more rounded.
2 great looking knives

Thanks David, I haven’t handled a Mcusta yet that disappointed, I don’t think one even exists. I’m surprised I like these Tanto’s so much, I have avoided them for many years, now I think there are some done so well that they are worth buying.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Very nice Mcusta carried one for 2 year until I lost it . They hold an edge for ever .
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is a Lakota Falcon for auction tonight. It’s not my knife or auction. Thought the price and particulars deserved some attention. I would like to know why this one is so expensive? Currently the auction is over 200 dollars. Anyone have any info on this Seki made knife? Here is the link to the auction: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lakota-Falcon- ... 2739665817
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (20.89 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Master Hattori has produced a limited number of these knives. Absolutely beautiful here is the description from the JKD website: Master Ichiro Hattori has selected the TV series S.O.G. Bowie knife for the third version of "SAN" Limited edition cerebrating his 80th year old anniversary. He has used premium quality Sambhar Stag for the handle, and produced only 10 pieces with serial numbers engraved on the bolster, 傘 SAN etching on the back of blade and Presentation box.

Hattori SAN-3 Limited Bowie Knife Famous S.O.G. Vietnam knife with 6-1/4" Hollow ground semi-mirror polished AUS-8 Molybdenum/Vanadiun stainless steel Bowie type blade with large false edge on back, 4-3/4" Sambhar Stag handle with solid stainless steel double Hilt and Butt, enhanced with Leather washer/Nickel silver spacer/Desert Ironwood/Nickel silver spacer/Black Linen Micarta/Nickel silver spacer on both sides of the Stag handle, Lanyard hole on Butt cap, Comes with Brown leather sheath with sharpening stone in the pocket, and Gift box with "Sanjyu 80 year anniversary message and gold label.

AUS-8 blade in 7.0mm thick, 160mm blade, 283mm overall, Weight 180g

JKD Special $1,050.00 Only 10 Limited Available Now

If anyone gets one of these please let us know and post pictures.
Attachments
IMG_3873_R.jpg
IMG_3883_R.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just got this little Lakota Teal Knife made by Moki. Beautiful brushed stainless handles with gold engraving. Very thin and pocketable, what a great knife to have when you don’t want to carry a big knife.
Got this one to resell but am very tempted to keep it and use it.
Attachments
IMG_1343.jpeg
IMG_1349.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mark is it 2 1/2" closed ? I bet it feels like a pocket 'jewel' rather than just a folding knife.
An 'old timer' told me it is more difficult to sell a knife that is under 3", but i doubt he ever met a Moki.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Pocket jewel is the right way to describe it, wish I had thought of that. It is just a touch over 2 1/2. Here is another picture of it next to a ruler.
If you want a small knife for work in an office or to take to church, why not take a high quality gorgeous one like this? It’s got a hole for a key ring if someone wanted to carry it that way. Although I think it would be a bit big on a key ring, well with key fobs being so huge, maybe not. Biggest problem with this one will be forgetting you have it in your pocket.
If no one wants to buy it, I don’t mind keeping this one at all.
Attachments
IMG_1344.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, that lovely teal knife sure didn't take long to sell. I went to your store to see it. Then purused the rest of your inventory. Went back to the top to pull the trigger on the teal and it was gone. ::uc:: ::teary_eyes::

Return to “Japanese-made knives”