Japanese "Sabre" Brand Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Captain O

Re: Japanese "Sabre" Brand Knives

Post by Captain O »

Reverand wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:32 am Great knives!
I knew some old-timers who wouldn't buy Japanese knives. They both fought against in the Pacific theater during WWII.
But I have a few, and most are well made and affordable knives. I buy them anytime I find them cheap, but that is getting harder to do all of the time. I think people are beginning to appreciate these knives more as time goes on!
Who are you calling "old-timer"? We were buying these knives at the Sprouse-Reitz Variety Store on King's Boulevard in Corvallis, Oregon in 1967-1968 at $1.29 each. Wait... that was 53 years ago. (Damn, I'm getting on in years). ::dang::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Captain O wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:07 am
I knew some old-timers who wouldn't buy Japanese knives. They both fought against in the Pacific theater during WWII.
But I have a few, and most are well made and affordable knives. I buy them anytime I find them cheap, but that is getting harder to do all of the time. I think people are beginning to appreciate these knives more as time goes on!
Who are you calling "old-timer"? We were buying these knives at the Sprouse-Reitz Variety Store on King's Boulevard in Corvallis, Oregon in 1967-1968 at $1.29 each. Wait... that was 53 years ago. (Damn, I'm getting on in years). ::dang::
Haha! I was born in 1967, and I am already a grey-haired old man! But I am thankful for each day.
Seriously though, I was thinking of my uncle and my father-in-law, both of whom served in the Navy in WWII.
I don't blame them, but at the same time I have no problem buying Japanese knives.
67BF2446-E607-4070-925A-782DDA74B97F.jpeg
Here is a Monarch scout knife that I got off of eBay this week. The shield was missing, so I made one out of a worn Old-Timer shield (I flipped it over and ground it to fit). It has a little blade rub from the punch, but looks to have never been carried or used. As I said before though, it is getting harder to find these cheap nowadays.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

Reverand wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:21 pm
Captain O wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:07 am
Haha! I was born in 1967, and I am already a grey-haired old man! But I am thankful for each day.
Seriously though, I was thinking of my uncle and my father-in-law, both of whom served in the Navy in WWII.
I don't blame them, but at the same time, I have no problem buying Japanese knives.

67BF2446-E607-4070-925A-782DDA74B97F.jpeg

Here is a Monarch scout knife that I got off of eBay this week. The shield was missing, so I made one out of a worn Old-Timer shield (I flipped it over and ground it to fit). It has a little blade rub from the punch, but looks to have never been carried or used. As I said before though, it is getting harder to find these cheap nowadays.
Heck, boy, I was preparing to begin my career in mimicry/comedy when you were still in your mommy's arms and drinking formula! (In 1968 I performed for my 7th-grade class party (condoned by the Faculty of Highland View Junior High School).

I served "stateside" while in Uncle Sam's Yacht Club (beginning my tour on July 19th, 1973 as an Aviation Machinist's Mate (jet). Some gave all, all gave some. You can believe that! ::pray:: ::handshake:: ::tu::
hddarts

Post by hddarts »

Picked up this sabre 631 with original sheath "the Original Bowie Knife" stamped on the blade
20211219_204247.jpg
20211219_204217.jpg
20211219_203724.jpg
If I have to tell you, You wouldn't understand
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This pocket knife arrived very recently in a large group of pocket knives that I purchased. I did NOT buy the group to obtain this particular pocket knife. However, I am NOT complaining that it was in the group. It is a Sabre, two blades, single tang stamp, two stamped bolsters, 3 1/4" closed, "BARLOW" pattern pocket knife. The tang stamp reads "Sabre - JAPAN." One bolster reads "BARLOW" and the other bolster reads "Sabre BRAND." Both blades have a VERY WICKED snap.
It is in EXCELLENT condition. It did NOT require any cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Caption(s), if any, are on the BOTTOM of the corresponding picture(s).
Click on a picture to ENLARGE.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This pocket knife arrived very recently in a large group of pocket knives that I purchased. I did NOT buy the group to obtain this particular pocket knife. But I like it and I'll keep it. It is a Sabre 635, one blade, one blade/tool, a single tang stamp, 3 3/4" closed (not including the bail), electrician or linesman pattern/style pocket knife. The tang stamp reads "Sabre - JAPAN - 635." Yes, one handle is brown and the other handle is black. I have no reason to believe that either handle is a replacement. Both blades have good half stops and both have a VERY WICKED snap. It is in VERY GOOD condition. It did require some light cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This pocket knife arrived very recently in a large group/lot of pocket knives that I bought. I did NOT purchase the group/lot to obtain this particular pocket knife. But, it is a BEAUTY and it turned out to be a keeper. It is a Sabre JAPAN, two blades, two tang stamps, M.O.P. handles/scales, 2 3/4" closed, pattern 678, pocket knife. The main blade tang stamp reads "Sabre - JAPAN - 678." The secondary blade tang stamp reads "STAINLESS - STEEL." It is in EXCELLENT condition. It did NOT need any cleaning. I took some pictures (they do NOT do it justice) and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Tang Stamp.
The Main Blade Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Tang Stamp.
The Secondary Blade Tang Stamp.

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

These two pocket knives arrived recently in a large group of pocket knives that I purchased. I did NOT buy the group to obtain these two particular pocket knives. However, I am NOT complaining and they are both keepers. They are both Sabre, pattern 629, single blade, single tang stamp, two stamped bolsters, 5" closed, "BARLOW" pattern or style pocket knives. Both tang stamps read "Sabre - JAPAN - 629" Two bolsters read "BARLOW" and the other two bolsters read "Sabre BRAND" Both are in VERY GOOD condition. Both required some minimal cleaning. I took some pictures and here they are.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
hddarts

Post by hddarts »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:23 am I have a beat-up Peanut my Grandad have me around here somewhere.

Here's one that was likely made by Ulster or Schrade. USA-made and Swinden construction. Blade is identical to early production 881 and 8OTs. Handles are brown/tan jigged Delrin.

Tang stamp is "SABRE" over "USA" on the mark side, and "SABRE" over "MONARCH" over "231" on the pile side.

KIMG0822.JPG

KIMG0826.JPG
hddarts

Post by hddarts »

SABRE knives were made all over the world, excluding the USA and JAPAN. so there are lots of different tangs
SteelCowboy74

Post by SteelCowboy74 »

Can someone identify and possibly date this knife for me? Not sure if it was dad's or grandpa's. Mom gave me a few old pocket knives today. No numbers stamped on it. Just Sabre JAPAN
16610470980427131268055888252006.jpg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I do not know of a book or resource dedicated to Sabre knives. They were considered inexpensive knives at the time they were made, and have been ignored by most collectors until recently - and even now, they are ignored by the majority of collectors. So there is just not a lot of research that I am aware of.

Now, the good news:
Going says that they were imported between 1960 and 1980, so we can pin down the date in that range. My guess before looking them up was that it was made in the 1970's, just based upon the "scrat" style jigging on the bone. That is only a guess, but is likely as close as you can get. It could have been made earlier.
For the most part, these were well made knives. They competed well in sales because many American-made knives were dropping in quality during these years.
I don't know a pattern number, but it appears to be a medium Stockman.
So, a 1970's vintage Medium Stockman.
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
SteelCowboy74

Post by SteelCowboy74 »

Thanks for the response, Reverend! I should have put a tape in my pictures. It's only 2-11/16" long so I'm thinking that makes it a small or Junior stockman?

P.s. love your signature.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This pocket knife arrived very recently in a trio of pocket knives that I purchased. I did not buy the trio to obtain this particular pocket knife. However, I am not complaining and it turned out to be a keeper. It is a Sabre, pattern 629, one blade, one tang stamp, two stamped bolsters, 5" closed, "BARLOW" pattern or style pocket knife. The tang stamp says "Sabre (over) JAPAN (over) 629" The bolsters say "BARLOW" and "Sabre BRAND" Overall, it is in GOOD condition. It required some cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
The Main Blade Front Tang Stamp.

Skip
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

You are right Skip, it is a keeper. Those old Japanese Sabres have good steel in 'em.
I may have a used bolster that would fit it too, if you ever want to fix yours.
Let me know!
Jesus is life.

~Reverand
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Reverand wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:04 am You.....!
Thank you, Scott. 🍻

Skip
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

This pocket knife arrived recently in a very large group or lot of pocket knives that I purchased. I did not buy the group or lot to obtain this particular pocket knife. I am not complaining and it turned out to be a keeper. It is a Sabre, three blades, one tang stamp, 3 7/8" closed, stockman pattern or style of pocket knife. The main blade front tang stamp says "Sabre (over) JAPAN" I do not see a pattern number. It also says "Sabre" on the shield. Overall, it is in VERY GOOD condition. It required some very minor cleaning. I took some pictures and here it is.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Skip
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I picked up this nice Sabre Half Congress at our local flea market today. I have several Sabres, Japanese, USA, Hong Kong, but this is my first Solingen Germany Sabre. It is 3 inches OAL closed, and is stamped Sabre Monarch 220 Solingen Germany. Does not look like it has been used, but has a couple of rust spots on it.
IMG_5043.JPG
IMG_5042.JPG
IMG_5041.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Very sweet knife OC.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Sabre knives are greatly unappreciated. All I have seen were well made regardless of country of origin
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

This year's main goal is to add a decent amount of Sabre and Sharp brand knives to my collection

This beat up 615 Peanut is a really good user. Got some electrical damage and a lot of blade wear that all happened decades before me.
IMG_20230205_100230.jpg
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I was lucky enough to find this #5 Sabre 3 and 1/4" jack at a garage sale yesterday for a few bucks. Appears to be bone handled.
IMG_5184.JPG
IMG_5183.JPG
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That's a neat little knife. Well done!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have several Sabre knives, tang stamps include Japan, Hong Kong, USA, and China. I did not own a Sabre Ireland until I found 2 of them for sale on the same table at a local gun show. One is a 2 and 5/8" pen and the other is a 3 and 7/8" stockman. Both are shell handled, and as you can see, the stockman is missing the thin plastic wrap that covered the center of the stamped metal shell handles. Otherwise, they both are in good condition and fully usable. I am working on a scheme that would recover the bare metal on the stockman. These were probably made in the former Jowicka plant in Ireland after Imperial took it over?
IMG_5565.JPG
IMG_5566.JPG
IMG_5567.JPG

Return to “Japanese-made knives”