Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mark, all the Coleman knives (even the ones made in China) have "1st Production Run" etched on the back of the main blade. I have yet to own or see one that doesn't have it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:01 pm Mark, all the Coleman knives (even the ones made in China) have "1st Production Run" etched on the back of the main blade. I have yet to own or see one that doesn't have it.
Jerry, I have several that do not. And I see a slight difference in the polish on the backsprings. The ones that are marked w/ 1st production run have a mirror polish and the others have less. Here is a picture of a stockman that doesn’t have the “first production run” stamp. Bottom is a Congress marked “first production run” and that stockman. There is a difference in these for sure. I now have about 30 of them and this is the obvious difference. Plus the stag is richer and the color on the blue is darker. At least on the ones that I have.
Attachments
IMG_2121.jpeg
IMG_2122.jpeg
IMG_2125.jpeg
IMG_2008.jpeg
IMG_2125.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mark, that comment came from a small sampling of the eight I have or have had, plus a few I've seen on eBay. The comment was in no way meant to be diss'in Coleman's. I very much like the few that I have.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 pm Mark, that comment came from a small sampling of the eight I have or have had, plus a few I've seen on eBay. The comment was in no way meant to be diss'in Coleman's. I very much like the few that I have.
I didn’t think you were diss’ing Coleman’s at all. I know you like them. I remember you posting one a year ago or so. That’s what got me looking at them in first place.
It’s hard to get exact numbers on the first production run and the rest. So far I have seen blades marked “First Production Run”, “One of 1000” and no stamp at all. I have also seen some w/ serial numbers stamped on them w/ the same serial number on the box. The most knowledgeable person I have found on these doesn’t know and he sold them in 1990 when they were new in his store.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

So there we go. Get on down, get on down the road. ::handshake::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are some Japanese made knives by some of the lesser known masters. The first one is a b&t knife in white steel Damascus with desert ironwood handles made by Yuta Katayama Second one is a Higonokami made w/ Japanese Koki wood and in laid w/ copper, made by Masayaki Sato. Notice the extreme tip on this, this is called a Kiridashi tip. This also has a single grind edge. The last one is an A.G. Russell “pinched peanut” in mammoth ivory. This one is one that am carrying and using. Love this pinched peanut, the lines are beautiful on this w/ very nice swedges. All these knives are extremely sharp.
Attachments
IMG_5001.jpeg
IMG_5005.jpeg
IMG_5010.jpeg
IMG_5012.jpeg
IMG_5014.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, About these knives, I think the word beautiful says it all. Sometimes the thought comes to mind that I am hoping your house has a first-class security system.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Garry, These knife masters are fairly young and not at it that long, compared to others that is. These are some up and comers of the Japanese custom knife makers. I could really break the bank on some of the masterpieces they turn out.
Glad you enjoy looking at these. I do too.
Yes, we have some pretty good security.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

This is a Paragon fixed blade. I bought the blade w/ the pins and bolster unattached and no handle material. Sent it to Muskrat Man last year and had these exotic wooden handles put on it. Turned out pretty dang nice. I always appreciate a full tang construction w/ the tang tapered like this, gives a knife real balance. It takes more time to produce a knife like this but the Japanese don’t seem to mind.
The second one is an A.G. Russell Dogleg Jack in beautiful stag. Got this one from Roland, aka kj.
Attachments
IMG_5310.jpeg
IMG_5312.jpeg
IMG_5314.jpeg
IMG_4649.jpeg
IMG_4650.jpeg
IMG_4651.jpeg
Airborne 1

Post by Airborne 1 »

I think we like the same knives Shiny :D
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Airborne 1 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:32 am I think we like the same knives Shiny :D
Same thing here Airborne ::tu:: . And that trapper is something else :shock: :shock: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are 2 more Paragon knives made in Seki Japan. Both black linen Micarta handles. Interestingly the dagger was presented on KnivesLive as having only one edge sharpened, but in actuality both edges are razor sharp. I think they did that to get around selling restrictions in certain states. Not that I am complaining. I enjoy the dagger, just can’t find a real reason for carrying it, if I needed it for defense, I will just carry my Sig.
Attachments
IMG_4399.jpeg
IMG_4401.jpeg
IMG_4403.jpeg
IMG_4404.jpeg
IMG_4406.jpeg
IMG_4408.jpeg
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:59 pm Here are 2 more Paragon knives made in Seki Japan. Both black linen Micarta handles. Interestingly the dagger was presented on KnivesLive as having only one edge sharpened, but in actuality both edges are razor sharp. I think they did that to get around selling restrictions in certain states. Not that I am complaining. I enjoy the dagger, just can’t find a real reason for carrying it, if I needed it for defense, I will just carry my Sig.
Hey Mark. These Paragons yer showing are sweet, and have really caught my attention. Where can you purchase the unassembled ones from? I did a quick google but nothing came up. I wouldn't mind finishing a couple in the future, for selling.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:56 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:59 pm Here are 2 more Paragon knives made in Seki Japan. Both black linen Micarta handles. Interestingly the dagger was presented on KnivesLive as having only one edge sharpened, but in actuality both edges are razor sharp. I think they did that to get around selling restrictions in certain states. Not that I am complaining. I enjoy the dagger, just can’t find a real reason for carrying it, if I needed it for defense, I will just carry my Sig.
Hey Mark. These Paragons yer showing are sweet, and have really caught my attention. Where can you purchase the unassembled ones from? I did a quick google but nothing came up. I wouldn't mind finishing a couple in the future, for selling.
I bought mine on Ebay. They come up pretty frequently for some reason. They must have had a bunch in production when someone changed their mind.
Check on Ebay, they usually run anywhere from 50 to 80 dollars depending on the seller and whether it’s an auction or a buy it now.
Here is one that is WAY overpriced. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Seki-Japan-Jap ... 7354!US!-1
Just keep checking Ebay from time to time and you will find one at a reasonable price.
Good luck.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

WillyCamaro wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:56 pm
Willy. One was listed just today, it’s a skinner and not priced to the moon. Here is the link. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Japan-Japa ... 7354!US!-1
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is another A.G. Russell Seki made knife. Pretty sure these were made by Moki due to the similarities of this knife to Moki’s. This one is black lip pearl w/ a Wharncliffe blade.
The next one I also got from A.G. Russell, pretty sure you can still buy these from them. It’s a Higonokami folder made in Seki Japan. Really sharp blade, almost razor blade sharp.
A.G. had them add a liner-lock on later versions of this knife, which it needs. A liner-lock would make this a much safer knife to use.
Edit to my post, this is a linerlock version of this knife, I forgot.
Attachments
IMG_4184.jpeg
IMG_4185.jpeg
IMG_4186.jpeg
IMG_4269.jpeg
IMG_4270.jpeg
IMG_4271.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Typically elegant Seki workmanship. ::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mark I know next to nothing about Seki knives, except for the Spyderco Seki knives which are great. But these you’ve been showing are simply stunning. Very nice. ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Colonel26 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:32 am Mark I know next to nothing about Seki knives, except for the Spyderco Seki knives which are great. But these you’ve been showing are simply stunning. Very nice. ::tu::
Garry, thank you.
Colonel, glad you like them. I hope to ignite a few flames for these knives. I am always amazed at how many collectors know next to nothing about these knives. It’s no exaggeration to say that you would have to buy a custom knife or a Case Tony Bose Collaboration to match the quality of these knives and that is no over statement. Just look at the run up on that pearl knife. You can hardly see any space between the blade and the backspring. That’s one point of quality that does not get matched on USA made knives. Very rare to find one w/ those tight tolerances.
For the money that these cost, you are a whole lot less than a custom or TB Colab . I urge you to buy one and see, just be warned , buying these knives is addictive
Glad this has been educational for people looking and reading. Now go out and buy some knives a like these.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Two knives made by Master Seizo Imai. I bought these shortly after his death in 2014. Both are Loveless designs. Damascus stainless on both. The black one is Micarta and the second one is stag w/ red liners. Both have tapered full tang construction. Two of my favorites.
Attachments
IMG_4340.jpeg
IMG_4343.jpeg
IMG_4344.jpeg
IMG_4345.jpeg
IMG_4348.jpeg
IMG_4349.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Besides the amazing Damascus, each knife has a small feature which I really appreciate. It is the rather gentle and small downward "hook" at the butt end of the handle. Some may consider this a stylistic device, but I have always found that it gives me a more precise feel to my grip. Both knives are strikingly beautiful.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Garry, I know you appreciate quality and beauty in a knife. I think that feature is what would make this an incredible user. If I hunted, one of these would be the knife I would use. They both feel great in hand, well balanced and a secure grip. I felt fortunate to get these.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I got an email today from JCK about a new line of knives they are carrying from Hiro. Here is a picture of a “chopper” knife designed by Master Masui. The email says the knives are called Hiro or Shiki knives. Any Hiro knives I have seen always concentrate a lot on producing an elegant blade. This knife is no exception, w/ a Sakura-rainbow Damascus. The second photo shows the thickness and the amount of tapering this knife has.
This sold out in seconds, they only produced 30 of these and they were priced at an amazing 150 dollars. I think that’s very inexpensive for a handmade beauty like this.
Attachments
IMG_0291.jpeg
IMG_0292.jpeg
IMG_0293.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

And the hits just keep coming. One doesn't often associate beauty with a chopper. But this is something very special. I really like the fine distal taper. And all of it at a modest price. ::handshake::
BluntTip

Post by BluntTip »

Hey all, I was directed to post my small AG/Cattaraugus collection here.

http://imgur.com/a/he5wE7P

Return to “Japanese-made knives”