Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Quick Steel wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:29 pm An awesome looking knife. It radiates strength.
Thank you Garry. This is one of those knives that I would grab if I had to go into survival mode, along with a couple of others. It is stout and yet feels silky smooth in hand. I like how well centered that blade is and how smoothly it opens and closes too.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I commented in "Mail Call" already, Mark, so I'll just reiterate what I said there, congratulations on finally receiving a long desired "Grail" knife, ::handshake:: I know how much you wanted one of these, not for how long but certainly how much! ::handshake::
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Got in this A.G. Russell lockback made in 1998 in Seki Japan. This knife reminds me a lot of the Jess Horn lockback that was also made in Seki Japan. Both are linerless with Micarta handles and have ATS-34 blades with a Birds Eye main pin. I am very impressed with the run up on this. As you can see in the photos there is no gap between backspring and blade. In fact it’s very hard to see where these two meet. One of the best run ups in my collection.
And it’s hair shaving sharp like most Seki made knives.
Attachments
IMG_5593.jpeg
IMG_5594.jpeg
IMG_5595.jpeg
IMG_5598.jpeg
IMG_5600.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's my kindda knife, Mark, it's gorgeous.
Are you keeping it or selling it? Thx!
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Keeping it for now. My A.G. Russell collection is starting to spill over into other cases so I’m going to need to whittle it down a bit. Most of it is Seki made but a few American made A.G. Russells in there. So when it comes time to choose which stays and which goes, you never know, comparing one knife with another makes me sometimes decide I can let it go. But I’m not there just yet on this piece.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

With magnification, I finally found the runup...I think. An amazing production.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

It is hard to see Garry. I know my cataracts are getting worse but I found this one nearly impossible to find. I have to wonder why all knives aren’t made this way?
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beautiful knife, loooooooooooooove the run up. I think the reason every knife maker can't do it like Moki does is the same reason every car company can't do it like Toyota. Edward Demming was sought after, believed, and followed to the T in Japan. He was scoffed at and ignored in Detroit. I think Moki probably followed that lead. IMHO they are the gold standard in knives because of the same reason Toyota now sells more cars than any other maker. The statistical analysis and quality control Demming introduced changed everything. I recall vividly when Japanese products were considered cheap, low quality, throw away in the early 70s. By the late 70s Toyota, Honda, Datsun, Mazda, Subaru etc. had become respected, preferred, and the leaders in quality. Now they rule the industry and same with Japanese makers in the TV and stereo industry. IMHO like Moki rules in the areas of build quality, precision manufacturing and product assembly in the knife industry. Or so my subjective thinking goes anyway, your results may vary.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:38 pm Keeping it for now. My A.G. Russell collection is starting to spill over into other cases so I’m going to need to whittle it down a bit. Most of it is Seki made but a few American made A.G. Russells in there. So when it comes time to choose which stays and which goes, you never know, comparing one knife with another makes me sometimes decide I can let it go. But I’m not there just yet on this piece.
I don't blame you, I would too! ::handshake::
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Bought this Gerber Silver Knight from our own Q in Hawaii. Black lip pearl handles and engraved bolsters. Not sure who made it or when but have a few guesses about all that. Has a very tight run up and great fit and finish.
Attachments
IMG_6514.jpeg
IMG_6515.jpeg
IMG_6516.jpeg
IMG_6517.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's one sweet knife, Mark.
You see so many of the standard plain-jane Silver Knight's that it's a pleasure to view one with such nice embellishments, such as the pearl and engraving.
It's another knife displaying a hidden run-up, very nice.
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark. It is very different from the usual Silver Knights you see, I agree. This pearl is on fire!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Finally got a grail knife this past week. I have had over a dozen of these Cattaraugus sleeveboard whittlers made for A.G. Russell in Seki Japan. This is the first one of these that I have been able to acquire that is from the first 25 of these ever produced, serial number 14 on the spine. The first 25 of these were all hand engraved, most likely, by Ben Lane. The hand engraving is excellent. The owner of this bought this knife new in 1989 and never touched it again and just left it in the case. I had a good amount of cleaning to do to get it to look this good. Oxidation on the bolsters and the backsprings came right off. I cleaned off a little glue on the top side of the liners, a good sign this was truely an early knife. The color of the handles is a bit different from the others I have, but that’s probably just variances in the dying process. Can’t tell you how excited I am to get this.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, Congratulations on acquiring a grail knife. A beautifully done piece. I find the bolsters and shield exceptionally tasteful.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Exceptional knife Ssk
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Congratulations on receiving that one, Mark, I know that feeling well when you finally score one you've been coveting.
Your new knife isn't even my style, yet I really like the looks of it, especially the engraving and shield, like Garry stated.
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thank you Garry, Doglegg and Mark. Over the years I have really come to admire hand engravings on knives. Only have a few but hope to acquire more.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:49 pm Finally got a grail knife this past week. I have had over a dozen of these Cattaraugus sleeveboard whittlers made for A.G. Russell in Seki Japan. This is the first one of these that I have been able to acquire that is from the first 25 of these ever produced, serial number 14 on the spine. The first 25 of these were all hand engraved, most likely, by Ben Lane. The hand engraving is excellent. The owner of this bought this knife new in 1989 and never touched it again and just left it in the case. I had a good amount of cleaning to do to get it to look this good. Oxidation on the bolsters and the backsprings came right off. I cleaned off a little glue on the top side of the liners, a good sign this was truely an early knife. The color of the handles is a bit different from the others I have, but that’s probably just variances in the dying process. Can’t tell you how excited I am to get this.

Mark, that is one of the most beautiful knives I've ever seen.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thank you David. It went right to the display case.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:49 pm Finally got a grail knife this past week.
Gorgeous knife ! Is it a split-spring, or .... ??
The acorn is most intriguing . . . . 8)
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beauuuuuuuuuutttaaaaaaaaaay SSK. Nice to get a grail. Congrats. ::tu:: ::tu::

G Sakai Bird and Trout LB
Attachments
20231216_105329.jpg
20231216_105243.jpg
20231216_105208.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

royal0014 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:14 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:49 pm Finally got a grail knife this past week.
Gorgeous knife ! Is it a split-spring, or .... ??
The acorn is most intriguing . . . . 8)
Royal, it’s a two spring no split or wedge. Everyone of these I’ve owned has been really nice and great fit and finish.

Iman, that is a beautiful b&t knife. Like the red bone.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful B + T, Iman!
My kindda knife!
8)
8)
QGofLake

Post by QGofLake »

Here are some Seki made knives I thought I'd add to this thread. These vintage Japanese knives are very nice. The maker is Compass Industries on two and they sure did a great job. Same goes for the Rigid. These are all new old stock and have never been used, sharpened or carried. Two have the original boxes.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1602.jpg
s-l1605.jpg
s-l1606.jpg
s-l1607.jpg
s-l1608.jpg
s-l1609.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice group!

Here's my RG-24. I got one new-old-stock for about $25 several years ago, and it's mostly seen use for cutting baler twine, rope, and brush as a work knife.

It is easily as good quality as a period Spyderco, yet not as stiff as the Harpy I used to have.
IMG_20240128_203829.jpg
I noticed your clip is different. Mine only has three screw holes in the clip, yet yours has four. I'm wondering if there was a running change or something.
IMG_20240128_203849(1).jpg

Return to “Japanese-made knives”