Other Seki Made

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Japan.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Other Seki Made

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you my friend! I liked the Junglee as soon as I saw them in Jacob's store, but it wasn't until Garry(Q/S)posted a white one he owns and I could see it in different pictures than the online ones that I began to really like them. Jacob was asking around US$50.+ for his, so I figure I got mine for a song, and it's BLACK too! lol! 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:47 am Got this Browning knife from Gary Kennedy at Kennedy Knives. Made a lot like an Al Mar or a Moki. Nice stag handles. Solid lock up and easy release.
This one is going into the Moki collection. Pretty sure it was made by Moki.
Mark! I'm a bit confused, although that didn't just happen, if this knife is built by Moki, isn't it a Moki knife and NOT a Browning knife? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Madmarco wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:27 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:47 am Got this Browning knife from Gary Kennedy at Kennedy Knives. Made a lot like an Al Mar or a Moki. Nice stag handles. Solid lock up and easy release.
This one is going into the Moki collection. Pretty sure it was made by Moki.
Mark! I'm a bit confused, although that didn't just happen, if this knife is built by Moki, isn't it a Moki knife and NOT a Browning knife? ::shrug:: Thx! 8)
Well Mark that’s a question for the ages. Yes it’s a Moki, although I found out that the early Al Mars were made by Master Sakai so it’s possible that these were made by him at that time. But it looks and feels like a Moki to me so it’s going in the Moki collection. I haven’t started a Browning collection because all their knives were made by others, so when a Moki has Browning on it, I still think of it as a Moki.
I’ve been looking closely at the Fallkniven slip joints, I know Moki is making all the slip joints for Fallkniven, so I am beginning to think about collecting Fallknivens for my Moki collection.
Whatever brand is stamped on the knife doesn’t bother me, it’s who made the knife and what standards they had for them that matters. Fallkniven’s are all such top quality that they would fit right into my Moki collection. Klein on the other hand, is having knives made by Moki also, but they are specked differently and I don’t think of them as all that desirable and don’t intend to collect them, at this time.
Hope that helps.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

It helps very much Mark, thank you! I too really like Fallkniven folders, as-a-matter-of-fact, I almost bought the one you had in your store, but ultimately I just couldn't afford it. I find it interesting they're made by Moki, most Mokis are fine delicate knives, whereas the Fallknivens appear to be big heavy knives. I've yet to handle one so I really don't know though! Thx again! 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I bought this matching serial numbered set of Kershaw stag knives. Ray said that he called Kershaw and they haven’t had knives made in Japan since 1990 so these are over 32 years old. I see a lot of resemblance to Al Mar in some of these. I always like seeing Japanese slip joints with multi blades. They did a great job. Coleman had several made in 1990 in Japan and they are very fine knives.
If anyone knows who made these in Japan, I would sure appreciate knowing. I have a good hunch that Master Tak Fukuta is behind these, but I would like to be certain.
Stainless blades, springs, pins and bolsters with brass liners. Very nice.
Attachments
167216DC-F133-41C0-800E-BBDE170A5B78.jpeg
1B9AD2D2-D3F9-41CC-8309-84280959CDE2.jpeg
B1C64DA2-16E1-4066-AF1A-F5567F222F32.jpeg
1A008251-8748-47C7-A891-084B025B5311.jpeg
8BC718F6-8567-40BB-9F85-CA7722662658.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm I bought this matching serial numbered set of Kershaw stag knives. Very nice.
Yesssss indeed! Great score Mark! I seriously considered buying this set because I used to collect Kershaw knives and I still love them, but I'm glad you got them. I am curious about the middle knife in 2nd pic (and also 2nd from top in 4th & 5th pics) that looks like a Wild Turkey 4150 - does it have a pattern number stamp on the pile side tang?
~Q~
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Birthday gift...Spyderco Endura 4 Zome
Attachments
P1270008.JPG
P1270006.JPG
~Q~
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mark, I think your Kershaw set is exceptionally fine. The age plus the quality makes for a great acquisition. Congratulations.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:10 pm
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm I bought this matching serial numbered set of Kershaw stag knives. Very nice.
Yesssss indeed! Great score Mark! I seriously considered buying this set because I used to collect Kershaw knives and I still love them, but I'm glad you got them. I am curious about the middle knife in 2nd pic (and also 2nd from top in 4th & 5th pics) that looks like a Wild Turkey 4150 - does it have a pattern number stamp on the pile side tang?
The number on it is 4378. It’s very tiny and hard to read on that one. Thanks Q for the compliment on these.

Thanks Garry. I thought about picking out the ones I wanted to keep and sell the rest, but after handling them, I don’t want to part with any of them.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

QTCut5 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:23 pm Birthday gift...Spyderco Endura 4 Zome
Very knice gift Q.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Beautiful set of Kershaw's Mark. I too was eye-balling them, but I'm glad they went to you. I particularly like the single blade spear-point, but they're all very nice. Good choice to keep all of them and not break em' up. 8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Great birthday gift ~Q~, and I'm not even a Spydie fan. 8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

I don’t buy fixed blades very often and they have to be pretty special when I do. I have been selling several from my collection to pay for this since it cost so much. This is one made by Master Hattori. It’s a single bevel edge blade made on 97 layer V-Gold Damascus. Here is the description from the JKD website: “This is the 61st version of Hattori "SAN" Limited edition" celebrating his 80th year old anniversary. He has selected the HD Damascus Utility Blade with V-Gold Damascus Single Bevel Edge Blade and the custom hand made Quince Burl Wood Handles are beautifully accented with a Green Malachite Gem-Composite stone Spacer and also feature solid Nickel Silver bolsters and rivets. Each handle is hand contoured to fit your hand comfortably and, to create the good weight balancen. This item is produced only 1Pc with 傘SAN etching on the blade and Presentation box.

Hattori SAN-61 Limited HD Damascus Utility 3.5" Single Bevel Edge, V-Gold core forge 97 layered Nickel & Stainless Damascus blade, 3.8" Custom Hand Made Quince Burl Wood Handles are beautifully accented with a Green Malachite Gem-Composite Stone Spacer and also feature solid Nickel Silver bolsters and rivets. Comes with Brown leather sheath, and Presentation Gift box with "Sanjyu 80 year anniversary message and gold label.”

I also bought a pretty special Moki bird and trout knife as well, but I will post it in the Moki thread.
Attachments
372E26AE-C202-4AC3-A91C-12F941A0D220.jpeg
F4B3D863-ECBD-46FB-90CE-CD427F7B793B.jpeg
00E9EAAF-3801-482A-86CC-F8485CBEEA16.jpeg
973DCF1A-FB41-4443-BF13-BE7A4DDC0395.jpeg
3A8C3909-7508-4193-9616-9CE0FC15B5CF.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

A Grail Masterpiece for you, Mark!
Stunning is all that comes to mind..
Congratulations on such a beautiful score! 8)
8)
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

That is a real beauty, Mark. Congratulations!
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark and Dan. It is one to admire. It looks great alongside of my other Hattori and Seizo Imai knives.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I totally understand your desire to keep rather than sell such superior knives, Mark. Congratulations on a truly great acquisition.
JonTerry

Post by JonTerry »

Hi Guys,

Got 2 of these today, NOS think they are Seki/Frost.

Fossil Stag ??? whats that LOL .....look and feel great though !!!

See wehatcha think :)

JT
Attachments
f.jpg
f1.jpg
f3.jpg
f4.jpg
f6.jpg
f7.jpg
f8.jpg
f10.jpg
f11.jpg
You do not have a soul, you are a soul, what you have is a body
robpa

Post by robpa »

I really like that bone, or whatever.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

JonTerry wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:08 pm Hi Guys,

Got 2 of these today, NOS think they are Seki/Frost.

Fossil Stag ??? whats that LOL .....look and feel great though !!!

See wehatcha think :)

JT
Jon that has to be one of the best looking Frost knives I’ve seen. Probably made in the 80’s. Never heard of fossil stag, but I would assume it must be fossilized stag like fossilized mammoth ivory. Very nice acquisition.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm I bought this matching serial numbered set of Kershaw stag knives. Ray said that he called Kershaw and they haven’t had knives made in Japan since 1990 so these are over 32 years old. I see a lot of resemblance to Al Mar in some of these. I always like seeing Japanese slip joints with multi blades. They did a great job. Coleman had several made in 1990 in Japan and they are very fine knives.
If anyone knows who made these in Japan, I would sure appreciate knowing. I have a good hunch that Master Tak Fukuta is behind these, but I would like to be certain.
Congrats on a gorgeous set. ::tu:: ::tu:: I've had some of the Japanese Kershaws. Excellent knives.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:18 am
Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:50 pm I bought this matching serial numbered set of Kershaw stag knives. Ray said that he called Kershaw and they haven’t had knives made in Japan since 1990 so these are over 32 years old. I see a lot of resemblance to Al Mar in some of these. I always like seeing Japanese slip joints with multi blades. They did a great job. Coleman had several made in 1990 in Japan and they are very fine knives.
Congrats on a gorgeous set. ::tu:: ::tu:: I've had some of the Japanese Kershaws. Excellent knives.
Thanks Iman. They are pretty special.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here are two that I bought the other day from someone in Japan. I haven’t seen these before and was excited to purchase them. The first one is an unbranded 49 layers Damascus small lockback. I can’t find who made this and haven’t been able to narrow down the knife master that worked on it. The same is true for the Shirstone double lockback. This one is really special. Both blades lock in place when open. The smaller blade unlocks by pushing down on the main blade. I suspect that these were made by the same knife makers that made the Cattaraugus folding hunter lockback for A.G. Russell. This knife is solid and a bit hefty for its size. I’m not liking the brass bolsters, I purged all brass years ago with a very few exceptions, but I can live with this being only one of 2 knives with brass bolsters in my collection. I am still trying to get who made these. I was a little surprised that the person I dealt with in Japan had no clue. I need to run these past Jemmy at JKD and see if he can help. Shirstone is a brand of optical lenses. I learned some time ago that they ventured into other things besides optics back in the 70’s and 80’s, if my memory is correct. Pretty sure this one is from the 80’s.
Attachments
F8F0CEEB-D333-4E79-B5F1-93BB05042332.jpeg
F0A6A930-B3F9-4F2A-85DE-C1F87CF7CB74.jpeg
96431548-44B9-4AB3-BC7B-F01304C08339.jpeg
8DBC9FEA-A740-4A3F-9BCC-677859F5B010.jpeg
A87F123A-FE63-4625-9E6B-AEF591A5EE68.jpeg
0158BBAB-CF8F-4263-A424-BCDD49EF9228.jpeg
C3D36604-E67E-4E71-BC5B-6ACF91168189.jpeg
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I commented on these 2 in "Mail Call" Mark, and they look just as good over here.
They simply ooze quality!
8)
8)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Mark, I appreciate the compliments. I am trying to focus more on the unusual or rarer Japanese knives for my personal collection. These two do not disappoint.

Return to “Japanese-made knives”