Belt sheath

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Belt sheath

Post by Reverand »

I bought this Sharp 300 knife at the Beulah Knife show in Boaz AL earlier this year. I carried one like it back in High School and wore the blade half away over the years.
Anyway, it is more than a bit big for the pocket at 5-1/8" long closed, and weighing in at 1/2 lb, so I made a belt sheath for it.
Front view
Front view
Knife in sheath
Knife in sheath
The sheath that I made was not the sheath I tried to make! It was supposed to have a flap that folded over it and snapped closed.
I first designed paper patterns for the pieces, and thought that I had made all of the details perfect. After wet-forming the leather and sewing it together, the flap was too short to cover the knife and snap! I had not allowed for the thickness of the knife.
As the famous Bob Ross would say, it is a "Happy little accident". The leather had wet formed tightly enough that the knife does not slip out of the sheath, so I cut the flap off, and am happier with the result. The knife almost snaps into place and you cannot shake it out of the sheath , yet it draws out easily enough by hand.
I did miss a stitch somewhere and it pulled a twist into the leather, but so far no one else has noticed
I have made an edger and a burnisher, and they really help improve the look of my projects. .
I started some other knife projects this morning, and I hope to finish them up by the end of the week.
Have a happy weekend, y'all!
Attachments
Back view
Back view
Side view
Side view
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
cody6268

Re: Belt sheath

Post by cody6268 »

Nice job!

I am slowly converting to this style of sheath. I bought two from Rural King, and they were really bad leather. I recently picked up two, both made by saddle shops in Texas, and they are sturdy and allow me to quickly access the knife. They both fit the knives I carry in them tight enough to not lose them, and I don't have to deal with a snap every time I draw the knife and then return it to the sheath.
Samb

Post by Samb »

I had a knife just like that when I was in high school I bought at K Mart, about 47 years ago.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Reverand wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:22 pm I bought this Sharp 300 knife at the Beulah Knife show in Boaz AL earlier this year. I carried one like it back in High School and wore the blade half away over the years.
Anyway, it is more than a bit big for the pocket at 5-1/8" long closed, and weighing in at 1/2 lb, so I made a belt sheath for it.
IMG_20220709_154958941-1.jpg
IMG_20220709_154915558-1.jpg

The sheath that I made was not the sheath I tried to make! It was supposed to have a flap that folded over it and snapped closed.
I first designed paper patterns for the pieces, and thought that I had made all of the details perfect. After wet-forming the leather and sewing it together, the flap was too short to cover the knife and snap! I had not allowed for the thickness of the knife.
As the famous Bob Ross would say, it is a "Happy little accident". The leather had wet formed tightly enough that the knife does not slip out of the sheath, so I cut the flap off, and am happier with the result. The knife almost snaps into place and you cannot shake it out of the sheath , yet it draws out easily enough by hand.
I did miss a stitch somewhere and it pulled a twist into the leather, but so far no one else has noticed
I have made an edger and a burnisher, and they really help improve the look of my projects. .
I started some other knife projects this morning, and I hope to finish them up by the end of the week.

Very knice!!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Reverand wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:22 pm I bought this Sharp 300 knife at the Beulah Knife show in Boaz AL earlier this year. I carried one like it back in High School and wore the blade half away over the years.
IMG_20220709_154958941-1.jpg
IMG_20220709_154915558-1.jpg

Nice work, there is something about a leather sheath that you have made yourself. ::tu::
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

You are right, Cudgee. And the same goes for a knife that I repaired myself. It feels good to carry the work of your own hands.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
TPK

Post by TPK »

You did a nice job! ::nod:: ::tu:: Congrats! ::handshake:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”