Neckerchief slides

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
Rossr

Neckerchief slides

Post by Rossr »

Nothing to do with knives but figured it's been quiet so I would share. Had a friend wanted to make neckerchief slides for the packs cub scout leaders. So into the shop. Just simple and basic rectangles with cub scout stamp and pack #. Snap in the back. Came out nice. I messed around and did the inlay one just cause I could that one goes to the cubmaster who made all the others.

Fun stuff

Ross
Attachments
20211114_171009.jpg
20211114_171003.jpg
20211111_213250.jpg
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Neckerchief slides

Post by 1967redrider »

They turned out nice, excellent job. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Great project Ross! Brings back memories of my Scouting days and how I enjoyed collecting and wearing different slides.

In addition to making these for the leaders, I would think you could find some good applications for the kids too. Maybe when a boy moves up the ranks (say going from Wolf to Bear) he gets a slide with an embossed bear in recognition. Or maybe better yet he gets to make it himself.

Dennis
Attachments
660B0AA6-FD3C-4171-871C-30CDF4FA3537.jpeg
660B0AA6-FD3C-4171-871C-30CDF4FA3537.jpeg (10.63 KiB) Viewed 2206 times
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Those are awesome! Even more so because when my boy was in Cub Scouts, we were Pack 21 also!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Pretty cool! I made leather ones in the BSA but I sewed them up of thinner leather, usually beaded the leather before sewing up the seam. Pack leaders plural? Things have changed from when I was in the cubs, My mother was the den mother of my pack back then, no multiple leaders. Most of the other packs by me also had a single den mother as leader. Here's her card which I still have.

8C16B4CD-6CDB-4F38-86B6-5B476BB8BE18_1_201_a.jpeg
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

deo-pa wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:08 pm Great project Ross! Brings back memories of my Scouting days and how I enjoyed collecting and wearing different slides.

In addition to making these for the leaders, I would think you could find some good applications for the kids too. Maybe when a boy moves up the ranks (say going from Wolf to Bear) he gets a slide with an embossed bear in recognition. Or maybe better yet he gets to make it himself.

Dennis
Yep.done all that over the years all good stuff.
Gunsil wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:54 pm Pretty cool! I made leather ones in the BSA but I sewed them up of thinner leather, usually beaded the leather before sewing up the seam. Pack leaders plural? Things have changed from when I was in the cubs, My mother was the den mother of my pack back then, no multiple leaders. Most of the other packs by me also had a single den mother as leader. Here's her card which I still have.

8C16B4CD-6CDB-4F38-86B6-5B476BB8BE18_1_201_a.jpeg
Usually each den has a leader sometimes 2, then you have a cubmaster who oversees all the dens etc. Add in committee members etc and you have several usually. Takes a village as they say

Kind words folks happy to help my friend and even better that as the cubmaster her leaders get something special made for them.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice work Ross! I know all who received one of those neckerchief slides appreciate them! Always nice to have something unique rather than the standard stuff from the scout shop. ::tu::

Significant changes since we were young scouts Gene, driven by changes in culture and family demographics.

The Cub Scout “Den Mother” was common when most women did not work outside the home. Nowadays most mothers have a job outside the home. The concept has changed to “Den Leader”, which may be a mom or a dad. In the late 1980s timeframe the BSA instituted the concept of “two-deep” leadership, meaning no single adult is ever alone with any scout, unless they are that scout’s parent. Therefore there are no activities where only a single adult leader is present - there must be at least two adults. For every Cub Scout den meeting or activity at least two adult leaders must be present. If not, the activity is cancelled. As a result most Cub Scouting activities, rather than boy-focused have become family-centric. The involved parents bring the whole family, and that is encouraged. Without that change many if not most families could not participate.

Signs of the times.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

Great times and memories. ::nod::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

One of a kind and one mass produced.
Attachments
thumbnail_20211116_125920.jpg
thumbnail_20211116_125637.jpg
thumbnail_20211116_125649.jpg
thumbnail_20211116_125701.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Here are a couple of leather ones from Scouting events I still have. One from 1955 and one from 1957.

Dennis
Attachments
D5AF5C99-A7E5-4B14-B2D3-B130CC43B0C4.jpeg
A76E10F1-F4DB-4D28-A90C-7BA65FB47E45.jpeg
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Those neckerchief slides are really neat! I carved out a few wooden neckerchief slides from kits around 40 years ago when I was in Boy Scouts. I recently found this one in a box of old stuff I had stored:
Attachments
536F4D71-A2E5-4468-85A0-603E1D480C3E.jpeg
86A2D614-EBE8-4BB2-94AB-92A02AC37F03.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Very cool!!! ::tu::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Ivoryman wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:06 pm One of a kind and one mass produced.
Man all that metal work to get the eagle just right and the colors really pop...really .is one of a kind hahahahaha.

Serious though that buffalo is really awesome. Is there a significance? Or just like buffalo's? Did you carve it and what is it made from?
deo-pa wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:13 pm
Reverand wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:51 am Those neckerchief slides are really neat! I carved out a few wooden neckerchief slides from kits around 40 years ago when I was in Boy Scouts. I recently found this one in a box of old stuff I had stored:
Here are a couple of leather ones from Scouting events I still have. One from 1955 and one from 1957.

Dennis
Oldies but goodies. The hat one I really like.
Reverand wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:51 am Those neckerchief slides are really neat! I carved out a few wooden neckerchief slides from kits around 40 years ago when I was in Boy Scouts. I recently found this one in a box of old stuff I had stored:
My carving skills consisted of making large stick into smaller ones. Somewhere i still have a paul bunyan wood slide i started to carve and gave up. Inhad many buddies that carves slides and what a nice memory

Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Glad I posted, kind of thought it wouldn't get much response. Pleasantly surprised and enjoying all the slides u folks have about

Ross

Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:43 pm Nice work Ross! I know all who received one of those neckerchief slides appreciate them! Always nice to have something unique rather than the standard stuff from the scout shop. ::tu::

Significant changes since we were young scouts Gene, driven by changes in culture and family demographics.

The Cub Scout “Den Mother” was common when most women did not work outside the home. Nowadays most mothers have a job outside the home. The concept has changed to “Den Leader”, which may be a mom or a dad. In the late 1980s timeframe the BSA instituted the concept of “two-deep” leadership, meaning no single adult is ever alone with any scout, unless they are that scout’s parent. Therefore there are no activities where only a single adult leader is present - there must be at least two adults. For every Cub Scout den meeting or activity at least two adult leaders must be present. If not, the activity is cancelled. As a result most Cub Scouting activities, rather than boy-focused have become family-centric. The involved parents bring the whole family, and that is encouraged. Without that change many if not most families could not participate.

Signs of the times.

Ken
You're right Ken, I hadn't thought a lot about what the cubs might be like today. I have a friend who is a scoutmaster and runs a BSA summer camp so I am up on the BSA and it's problems but hadn't thought about the little guys. Sure is sad that there have to be two adults now and the whole mess that has befallen the BSA. I think that besides the home maker aspect of women back then was that especially in rural areas they knew basic wood and camp craft. My mother could build fires, pitch tents, was a crack shot, not afraid of snakes and knew about all the critters in the woods. I think a lot of the other local den mothers also had real skills to teach young boys or girls (in the Brownies). I don't think there are that many women these days who were raised with wood and camp craft skills to pass on to youngsters except in some rural areas which are dwindling. I sure loved the BSA, stayed in until I graduated high school, we had a poor but wonderful small troop. I am still close friends with three and a couple have passed, I hope some of the moderns scouts are learning as much as we did and having as much real fun even with all the restrictions and political correctness.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Very cool!! I made a bunch of different ones myself, only one carved one from a piece of red cedar which smelled great. I still have my BSA shirt and a couple neckerchiefs but no slides. I left the BSA for college in 1965, found the shirt in my parent's house when they passed but carried those two neckerchiefs with me my whole life for some reason.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

When you've been around Scouting all your life, you tend to hand onto things including neckerchief slides (and this after thinning the herd).

Don't even get me started on Neckerchiefs, OA Sashes and Flaps and BSA Patches ::facepalm::
Attachments
Neckerchief Slides.jpg
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Rossr wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:22 am
Man all that metal work to get the eagle just right and the colors really pop...really .is one of a kind hahahahaha.

Serious though that buffalo is really awesome. Is there a significance? Or just like buffalo's? Did you carve it and what is it made from?

Yup, carved it from a scrap of Mammoth Tusk I had lying around. No significance, just always liked the white buffalo in rare animals and Native American lore. Can't get enough of the tribal art thing. Saddly it was retired when my son got his Eagle and now on the rare occation he puts the uniform on he picks up the eagle. I always liked the buffalo better. Thanks for asking and appreciate the comments.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:33 pm
Rossr wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:22 am

Yup, carved it from a scrap of Mammoth Tusk I had lying around. No significance, just always liked the white buffalo in rare animals and Native American lore. Can't get enough of the tribal art thing. Saddly it was retired when my son got his Eagle and now on the rare occation he puts the uniform on he picks up the eagle. I always liked the buffalo better. Thanks for asking and appreciate the comments.
Cant fault the kid for wearing his eagle one, but man the buffalo I would grab first!

I have 2 boys in scouts. I am an eagle scout and also a adult leader. Yep lots has changed. But I remain convinced it's still a solid program that benefits kids and helps them become better humans. I've seen it first hand. Lots of bad press and news out there but I'd sure wish we would talk more about all the good things, like service that is done in our communities, the life skills the kids learn, and yes all the fun and good times they have together. Memories that will last a life time.

Enjoying the thread folks

Ross

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Wonderful slides everyone! Here's some that I made or carved when I was a leader.
Nslide1.JPG
Nslide2.JPG
Nslide3.JPG
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

glennbad wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:09 pm Wonderful slides everyone! Here's some that I made or carved when I was a leader.

Nslide1.JPG
Nslide2.JPG
Nslide3.JPG
All are very nice!

Although I'm sorry fixed blade knives are not allowed
In BSA. For the life of me I cant figure out why but you'll have to send me that slide so I can dispose of it properly yes that's it dispose of it

Ross

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Rossr wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:46 am
In BSA. For the life of me I cant figure out why but you'll have to send me that slide so I can dispose of it properly yes that's it dispose of it

Ross
Ross, good luck with your kind offer to help Glenn dispose of the knife slide. :lol: However your statement “fixed blades knives are not allowed in BSA” is a common misconception. It is simply not true. I refer you to the BSA Guide to Safe Scouting where, in the section on knives it says
The BSA believes choosing the right equipment for the job at hand is the best answer to the question of what specific knife should be used. We are aware that many councils or camps may have limits on the type or style of knife that should be used. The BSA neither encourages nor bans fixed-blade knives nor do we set a limit on blade length.
So although your Council or Troop may have a prohibition on fixed blade knives, it’s not a BSA rule. For more info see https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss08/#g

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

glennbad wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:09 pm Wonderful slides everyone! Here's some that I made or carved when I was a leader.

Nslide1.JPG
Nslide2.JPG
Nslide3.JPG
All are very nice!

Ross
:lol: :lol: :lol:
In this case, I agree with you. I certainly wouldn't want to trip and land face first while wearing it, that would have been bad!
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:17 am

Ross
Ross, good luck with your kind offer to help Glenn dispose of the knife slide. :lol: However your statement “fixed blades knives are not allowed in BSA” is a common misconception. It is simply not true. I refer you to the BSA Guide to Safe Scouting where, in the section on knives it says
The BSA believes choosing the right equipment for the job at hand is the best answer to the question of what specific knife should be used. We are aware that many councils or camps may have limits on the type or style of knife that should be used. The BSA neither encourages nor bans fixed-blade knives nor do we set a limit on blade length.
So although your Council or Troop may have a prohibition on fixed blade knives, it’s not a BSA rule. For more info see https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss08/#g

Ken
Ken ,

You made my morning! Been told that for years never made rationale sense to me. Our troop has no issue with fixed blades. Just common sense for example a machete is not a carving knife or for cutting up dinner. Anyway I'll have to dig into council rule I know theres stuff in regards to camps but dont remember policy. I've noticed over the years scouts with standard fixed blades and never had anyone say no or make an issue. When I hep eith totin chip or trainings I'll be keeping this handy

Glen. Guess you have to keep that slide ::ds::

Ross

Rossr

Post by Rossr »

glennbad wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:57 am

Nslide1.JPG
Nslide2.JPG
Nslide3.JPG
All are very nice!

Ross
:lol: :lol: :lol:
In this case, I agree with you. I certainly wouldn't want to trip and land face first while wearing it, that would have been bad!
Lol Glen

Question. In your profile pic that hammer looks small is that for tinsmiithing or metal forming on a small scale?

Ross

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”