How to Repair a Cut Sheath

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
CaseBowie

How to Repair a Cut Sheath

Post by CaseBowie »

Hi all,

I recently got a Case XX Bowie that the seller carelessly shipped loose in the box.... needless to say there was an issue and the knife cut the sheath. It puts me in an awkward position because this was ebay, but I may have to just accept it and fix it myself.

How can I make this previously untouched and mint sheath as close as it was without spending much? Epoxy? Acrylic? Or is it not possible?
Attachments
20210426_184124.jpg
20210426_155056.jpg
zzyzzogeton

Re: How to Repair a Cut Sheath

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Redneck me would use a dab of super glue.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:42 am Redneck me would use a dab of super glue.
I can relate, brother. ::nod:: I have that Locktite Ultragel Super Glue, probably something better out there for leather but that's what I happen to have.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
eveled

Post by eveled »

I’ve used superglue. To fix sheaths. And also for cut fingers.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

There are glues made specifically for bonding leather. Unlike many other glues they continue to bond remain flexible.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Redneck me would try that stuff they sell to repair tennis shoes. (ShoeGoo?) It bonds tight, stays flexible, and doesn’t discolor the material. YMMV. You can get it at an athletic shoe store. Maybe even Walmart. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

CaseBowie wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:27 am Hi all,

I recently got a Case XX Bowie that the seller carelessly shipped loose in the box.... needless to say there was an issue and the knife cut the sheath. It puts me in an awkward position because this was ebay, but I may have to just accept it and fix it myself.

How can I make this previously untouched and mint sheath as close as it was without spending much? Epoxy? Acrylic? Or is it not possible?
You could use a strap of chrome tan or oil tan and after removing stitches...glue it over edge and seem overlapping on both sides...then re- sew it in the exact holes...

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”