Period correct replacement sheaths

A place to show off and discuss the art of making sheaths, belts, pouches, and other knife related leather items. Pick up ideas & tips here or share some with others.
Eye Brand Man

Period correct replacement sheaths

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Here's some of the replacement sheaths I make for old knives that often are worn out or missing. I make these using the original as a pattern so there as close to the originals as possible. From left to right. Western shark 6" blade. Marbles 7" ideal . Case and related pig stickers. Marbles 5" ideal. I make many others patterns as well. Just thought I'd show some.
Attachments
IMG_4722.JPG
Eye Brand Collector
XX Case XX

Re: Period correct replacement sheaths

Post by XX Case XX »

Those would definitely work if someone needed a replacement and didn't want to spend a fortune to find one. ::nod:: Nice job. ::tu::

________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Certainly professional work EBM. ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Good-looking replacements EBM. ::tu::

I got so tired of trying to find Western sheaths that I started making several different patterns. I didn't find it difficult, in fact it was kind of fun learning a new skill set that dovetailed with my old skills. My arthritic fingers didn't appreciate the sewing however! ::undecided::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

The period replacement sheaths are great! - Comes under the topic -"Why didn't I think of that?" - Did you use thinner leather? - which was typical back then - or a heavier leather? - I like to use 8 - 9 oz. for new sheaths - but these oldies used considerably thinner stuff. I have several old Kimber that would benefit from this treatment. -- If I'm doing new sheaths - I try to lean towards a pouch type sheath...just saying.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Eye Brand Man wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:22 pm Here's some of the replacement sheaths I make for old knives that often are worn out or missing. I make these using the original as a pattern so there as close to the originals as possible. From left to right. Western shark 6" blade. Marbles 7" ideal . Case and related pig stickers. Marbles 5" ideal. I make many others patterns as well. Just thought I'd show some.
Glad you decided to show some, outstanding work. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

wizrd wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:32 pm The period replacement sheaths are great! - Comes under the topic -"Why didn't I think of that?" - Did you use thinner leather? - which was typical back then - or a heavier leather? - I like to use 8 - 9 oz. for new sheaths - but these oldies used considerably thinner stuff. I have several old Kimber that would benefit from this treatment. -- If I'm doing new sheaths - I try to lean towards a pouch type sheath...just saying.
Thanks. Like you I use 8-10 oz leather for new modern knives. For these period sheaths I use 5-6 oz. Some of the old sheaths were even thinner like 4oz but I find the 5-6 oz as a good middle ground.
Eye Brand Collector
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

In my post about the sheaths above - I mentioned 'Kimber' - I meant 'Kinfolks' - must have been thinking of that new gun I been considering.
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

Here's a pouch type sheath, made for an older 'KINFOLKS'. I have a few of these - lacking sheaths. Time to get some thinner leather and try to repro the older, original sheaths.
DSC03449.JPG
DSC03448.JPG
DSC03450.JPG
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Both of you guys do excellent work. ::tu:: ::tu::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Jerlin

Post by Jerlin »

Eye Brand Man, I just now saw your post about period correct replacement sheaths. I am looking for an original style replacement for a Western Model 648. Is this something you could do? If so, please send me a PM. If you are not familiar with this sheath, it is a tubular style. I have some photos of the sheath I can send you.

Jerry Johnson
Jerlin

Post by Jerlin »

wizrd, I didn't mean to overlook you. Your pouch sheath is very similar to the Western Model 648 sheath. Do you make sheaths to sell? If so and could make a copy of a 648 sheath, please contact me by PM to discuss. I do have photos of a 648 sheath.

Jerry Johnson
Rossr

Post by Rossr »

Very clean work. Well done.

Ross
Einhornllc Custom knives and leather.

Come stroll around my AAPK store sit a spell maybe buy a knife or two ::nod::

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/rossr

https://www.einhorncustom.com/

Return to “Knife related leather work forum”