N&W Winchester...Vintage???

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

N&W Winchester...Vintage???

Post by 98src »

Pictures of a Winchester 2 blade that I just bought. Opinions on whether it is a vintage ( pre 1942 ) Winchester. Also, if it is vintage, any guesses as to who/what is N&W.
winc-1.JPG
winc-2.JPG
winc-3.JPG
winc-4.JPG
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: N&W Winchester...Vintage???

Post by 1fartsmella »

N&W - possibly Norfolk & Western Railway
The knife does not look like a pre 1942 Winchester Knife to me.
Barry
Desert Golfer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Desert Golfer »

Looks to be a Genuine Winchester made knife from the 1930`s, early 1940`s era. N & W likely is Norfolk & Western railroad. A number of these were likely ordered for the Railroads employees.
bogey

Post by bogey »

norfolk & western Railway they were a big time coal hauler back in the day. In my part of VA they were a major employer.

Now called Norfolk Southern RR
I think knife is legit pre 1942 but Im not a expert
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

It does not look like a vintage Winchester to me, blades look modern and the Winchester ( without the words Trademark USA) on the second blade just doesn't look correct.The stamp on the master blade looks very high on the tang.
98src
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 98src »

Thanks for all the opinions. About 50% pro and 50% con.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

I think it is Vintage.

Harold
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

knifegnome wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:51 am It does not look like a vintage Winchester to me, blades look modern and the Winchester ( without the words Trademark USA) on the second blade just doesn't look correct.The stamp on the master blade looks very high on the tang.
It's not that unusual for the secondary blades to have a straight single line Winchester stamp.
Not saying either way if the knife is correct or not.
Roger

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”