I was offered a Winchester...

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
Berryb

I was offered a Winchester...

Post by Berryb »

....knife yesterday. It seems like the real deal but it has some issues. I'll try to describe it from memory; It's a straight 2 blade one spring pen. No pattern number. Approximately 3 inches closed. Main blade is a wharncliffe. Main blade has the only tang stamp. Small tip bolsters. The jigging on the bone matches but the color does not, one side is alot darker. It's an older, well made knife, but the big red flag is the shield. It's a flattened "S" curve, I have looked all over and can't find one like it. I don't have any photos.
Does anyone have any thoughts about this knife? Thanks
Bruce
Gunsil

Re: I was offered a Winchester...

Post by Gunsil »

I fear it will be near impossible to help without photos. Have the seller send you photos and post them up here.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Assuming the knife has not been re-handled or repaired. If a bone knife is left on one side for a long time the exposed side will eventually fade. I have quite a few like that. Is your knife the same shape as the one in my post on this forum called 'Winchester 2067"? That one doesn't have a Wharncliffe blade but the body may be the same. J.O'.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Can you find a picture of an "S" curve shield online and post it here? Not sure I know what you mean. ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

As I remember it the knife is straight not serpentine, but the bolsters are like the 2067. Is there a list of winchester shields anywhere? I have looked and can't find anything resembling the "S" curve shield. Thanks for the help
Bruce
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like Winchester was king of the Federal shield, I found a 2067 in Voyles'.
Attachments
16052285961481799777859861866218.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I have some Winchester catalog reprints, looking through them I would say you’re correct about the federal (Crest) shield being predominant. Looks like Winchester used it by far more than any other. The other shields pictured include the curved bar, the bow tie, and the gimped shield. A number of patterns had no shield. Of patterns having shields I estimate 80-90% have the federal shield. I don’t find anything that looks remotely like a “flattened S”, unless maybe the curved bar? ::shrug::

Ken
Attachments
0E8F5E24-F2D9-4BDC-8E37-70ED949002FB.jpeg
D113462E-E051-4DD5-84C7-25BEDB085A9E.jpeg
833A8952-4C19-49CD-B5E6-7137D66519C3.jpeg
83770621-721B-4882-A964-D21245674C82.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”