Creating a bevel on an unsharpened factory blade

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Creating a bevel on an unsharpened factory blade

Post by CluelessNick »

I have a few knives that have factory blades with absolutely no bevel set. The blades are duller than a butter knife. Came from the factory that way. I don't think that I have the skill to create a bevel with a stone without messing up the blade. Anyone use a sharpening system that I might be able to sharpen these blades with. Thanks for any help
Attachments
2.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Creating a bevel on an unsharpened factory blade

Post by edge213 »

CluelessNick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:16 pm I have a few knives that have factory blades with absolutely no bevel set. The blades are duller than a butter knife. Came from the factory that way. I don't think that I have the skill to create a bevel with a stone without messing up the blade. Anyone use a sharpening system that I might be able to sharpen these blades with. Thanks for any help
I use a Lansky guided system for this.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I agree, a Lansky would put a uniform constant angle on a blade such as that. I have used my Lansky to do that same thing several times.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Depends on the type of steel, what angles you would like, and how much you want to spend. It may be cheaper to give it to a proficient professional if you have one in your area. ::tu::
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks Edge, wavering between the Lansky and worksharp systems
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks everyone. looks like lansky it is
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

CluelessNick wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:27 pm Thanks everyone. looks like lansky it is
If i may, i don't ever tell anyone what to do, but can i suggest. Get the set with diamond stones, they will create a new bevel much easier, and it is a must to get the stand that goes with them, trying to create a new bevel just holding it will be nigh on impossible. Good luck mate. ::tu::
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks Cudgee, appreciate the advice. I ordered just the standard set with a stand. If that don't work I'll take a look at the diamond stones. Hey it's only money right?
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

CluelessNick wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:14 am Thanks Cudgee, appreciate the advice. I ordered just the standard set with a stand. If that don't work I'll take a look at the diamond stones. Hey it's only money right?
If you do struggle with getting a new bevel with the standard stones, you could probably get away with just getting the course diamond stone, i think it is around the 60-120 grit range, but you can check, that will be enough to get the bevel started and will save you some cash. You can always add some diamond stones later if you want to. :)
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Good idea. Checked on Amazon and looks like the diamond hone is about $20.00. Will save me some money. Thanks Cudgee
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

CluelessNick wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:08 am Good idea. Checked on Amazon and looks like the diamond hone is about $20.00. Will save me some money. Thanks Cudgee
No worries mate, keep us updated how you go, i'm very interested. Have a good weekend. ::tu::
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Got my Lansky yesterday and have been playing with it. Watched a few videos, followed the instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. Have tried it on a couple of older knives and while it makes a great shiny looking edge I can't seem to get that really sharp edge that I'm after. I have not quite figured out when it is time to move on from one grit to the next. Waiting on a couple of diamond hones to try to set the bevel on a couple of knives. I'll figure it out eventually I guess.
Question---is there any real difference between the Lansky system made today in China and the ones from the late 90s made in the USA as far as quality? Looking at some older ones on Ebay they look exactly alike.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

CluelessNick wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:24 pm Got my Lansky yesterday and have been playing with it. Watched a few videos, followed the instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. Have tried it on a couple of older knives and while it makes a great shiny looking edge I can't seem to get that really sharp edge that I'm after. I have not quite figured out when it is time to move on from one grit to the next. Waiting on a couple of diamond hones to try to set the bevel on a couple of knives. I'll figure it out eventually I guess.
Question---is there any real difference between the Lansky system made today in China and the ones from the late 90s made in the USA as far as quality? Looking at some older ones on Ebay they look exactly alike.
Don't know about the quality from the old days till now, so cannot help you there. But may be able to help you with your edge bevel. Firstly, forget about shiny, shiny does not cut ::facepalm:: :lol: , are you getting a burr along the whole edge, if not you will have to go back to your course stone and start again. When you get a burr along the whole edge, do the other side, when the burr forms back on the side you started with, then progress to the next stone. Keep doing this, the burr will get smaller and smaller with each grit, till you completely remove it on your final grit. Ask if you need any help. ::tu::

The key thing that most people get wrong is " Patience ", or lack there of. Just take your time, and have break if you feel like one, there is no hurry. But you must get the burr and apex on your coursest grit, so that is the stone that you must spend the most time on, if you don't apex with this stone, the whole exercise is a waste of time. Remember " Patience Is Your Friend ". ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks Cudgee, I saw about the burr on some videos but never was able to raise one on my test knives. Perhaps, like you say, just not patient enough. I'll keep at it.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

CluelessNick wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:45 am Thanks Cudgee, I saw about the burr on some videos but never was able to raise one on my test knives. Perhaps, like you say, just not patient enough. I'll keep at it.
Make sure the knives you are sharpening have good steel. Some cheap knives with junk steel never get sharp.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks Edge, I was working with a couple of old Colonials and a couple of newer stainless blades. Surprisingly the stainless seemed to come out sharper than the old carbon steel blades. I'm sure it is just me.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

CluelessNick wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:00 am Thanks Edge, I was working with a couple of old Colonials and a couple of newer stainless blades. Surprisingly the stainless seemed to come out sharper than the old carbon steel blades. I'm sure it is just me.
If you have a cheap super mart close by, like a lowes, K-Mart or such, buy some cheap kitchen/paring knives, and have a practice run on them. Will help you get the feel of your new sharpener, all new sharpeners/methods take time to learn and get the feel of. ::tu::
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

I'll probably take a run at some of my wife's cheap kitchen knives.
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Received some Lansky diamond hones in the mail today so took a crack at creating a bevel on the unsharpened factory blade on the Old Timer 5OT that I got from Jeffin. The diamond stone made all the difference in getting the edge started. It still needs a little polishing but it is very sharp and I am fairly satisfied. By the way I knew the blade was unsharpened when I bought it and Jeff offered to sharpen it for free but it was something I wanted to learn to do. Water buffalo horn handles--Jeffin is awesome.
Attachments
2.jpg
DSC_4732.JPG
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

That looks good there, Nick! ::tu::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Nick ya did well. The problem you were having before the diamond was that those other stones just take a long time to cut a new bevel with.

I prefer freehand for sharpening personally and think it’s a skill most anyone can learn. I have a couple of the lansky systems, but I never get as good an edge with them. Especially on smaller blades or blades with a lot of curve. And be careful, it is easy to round over the tip with a lansky system. Been there and done that!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks, I've still got a lot to learn. and yeah that tip did give me some problems
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

CluelessNick wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:11 pm Thanks, I've still got a lot to learn. and yeah that tip did give me some problems
That was a good start, but keep the sharpeners mantra foremost in your mind " Patience ".

Just a quick story and some more advice, i just want to help a fellow member and sharpener. Sharpening equipment used to be very hard to get over here, about 30 years ago the Lansky system appeared over here and they were not cheap, i bit the bullet and bought one, i thought it was a piece of junk and gave it away, " Big Mistake ". I was the problem, i was young, impatient and thought i knew it all, i wish i had that system today, i would master it and it was a made in USA, not overseas. So i have regrets about my stupid actions, but today things are different. This is what i would do now if i was you. Spend as much time as you can researching youtube about using the Lansky system, there are some very good videos and ideas on using them. There is also a lot of rubbish and mis truths, but you will be able to sort them out, but when you see some good tips or advise jot them down in a small notebook. Secondly, there are some very proficient users of the Lansky system here on the forum, go to the sharpening thread there is a sticky about using the system, read through every post, and if you see something you would like to know more about, reach out to the poster, one thing about being a member here is people are only too willing to help. So i have no doubt you will become proficient at being able to put a good edge on your knives, just research and ask for advice from people here who use the system. Hope this helps. ::handshake::
CluelessNick
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by CluelessNick »

Thanks for the advice Cudgee, you have been very helpful.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

CluelessNick wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:34 pm Thanks for the advice Cudgee, you have been very helpful.
No worries mate, anything to help a fellow member. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “Sharpening Forum”