New knife won't sharpen??

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
old4570

Re: New knife won't sharpen??

Post by old4570 »

A) Hard steel can round as you work it and never come sharp when free handed .
B) Hard steel takes a long time to work , especially on finer materials ( stone )
C) Diamond stones / hones are the way to go for a BEVEL

You need a nice straight bevel , once this is established , you can go for a finer finish . A guided knife sharpener is a wonderous tool . It cuts relatively accurately and maintains the angle as you work . Even if you need to muscle the blade to cut it , your maintaining the angle as you go .
My fathers old knife ( A Finnish knife ) has the hardest steel I have known to date . It was a seriously hard job to put an edge on it , and I just about wore out that diamond stone doing it .
My father was a notorious knife destroyer , and that knife was the only one to survive him . But that steel is so hard .

A) Guided knife sharpener
B) Some diamond stones / cutters / hones ( call them what you will )
C) You just need them to put down a clean bevel with the diamond ...
D) Once you have a nice clean bevel , do as you please till the bevel is no longer good , then just re-bevel .

Nothing worse than sharpening till the blade is gone .
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

FRJ wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:09 am I wonder if I'm not missing something by not trying a diamond stone. Maybe I should change that.
Where have I been.
Lost in the prejudices of sharpening paraphernalia.
And now I'm found ----- no, wait ----- now I have found the stone to fill in the gap of my sharpening arsenal.
For now.
This Diamond Stone is pretty nifty. I bought the 10 inch fine/extra fine model. Didn't want to go too course.
I don't think the steel is particularly hard in my Dexter chef knives but it is decent steel. This stone sharpens them to a very acceptable edge. At least it satisfies me.
Always learning.
Attachments
DSCN9971.JPG
Joe
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FRJ wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:31 pm
FRJ wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:09 am I wonder if I'm not missing something by not trying a diamond stone. Maybe I should change that.
Where have I been.
Lost in the prejudices of sharpening paraphernalia.
And now I'm found ----- no, wait ----- now I have found the stone to fill in the gap of my sharpening arsenal.
For now.
This Diamond Stone is pretty nifty. I bought the 10 inch fine/extra fine model. Didn't want to go too course.
I don't think the steel is particularly hard in my Dexter chef knives but it is decent steel. This stone sharpens them to a very acceptable edge. At least it satisfies me.
Always learning.
::tu:: Joe, that’s kinda the same revelation I had! :lol: (Wow, this works great! Why did I wait so long?) ::groove::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Sharpening Forum”