Norton India stone questions.

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Leo H

Norton India stone questions.

Post by Leo H »

This stone and sleeve was with some knives my grandfather kept.
After reading some, I understand it’s an India stone, but I don’t know how to tell the grit. Is there any way, without having paperwork or a box telling you?
Also, I read something from Norton suggesting their stones were oil stones, is that the case or can either water or oil be used with an India sharpening stone?

Thank you!
Attachments
5AA05436-C883-4991-9D16-18F2903D1A42.jpeg
cudgee

Re: Norton India stone questions.

Post by cudgee »

Leo H wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:53 pm This stone and sleeve was with some knives my grandfather kept.
After reading some, I understand it’s an India stone, but I don’t know how to tell the grit. Is there any way, without having paperwork or a box telling you?
Also, I read something from Norton suggesting their stones were oil stones, is that the case or can either water or oil be used with an India sharpening stone?

Thank you!
If it is a double sided stone, it will have a course and fine on either side, i cannot tell you what the actual grits would be, they can be used as either oil or water. But if it has been used as an oil stone and you want to change to water, you will have to degrease it to remove as much of the oil as possible, or just clean it up and keep using oil. ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I have one of those. They are rather coarse stones which is a good thing.
In my view, I think they are more of a promotional item than a useful sharpening stone.
Mine is 3 7/8" x 3/4" x 1/4". I hope your stone is bigger. There's not much to work with here.
If you are interested in using stones to sharpen your knives I hope you will look for bigger stones.
Get some acreage under that blade so you can move it around and do some sharpening.
Get at least a 6 incher and not glued to anything. You can use both sides. Get coarse stones at first but don't turn down anything if you think you have a good deal. I'm talking used stones here.
Buy the largest one you can afford. Don't let an oily stone concern you. Wipe it down with a solvent.
Try oven cleaner. You can't hurt the stone. They love water.
Attachments
DSCN9756.JPG
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

FRJ wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:11 pm I have one of those. They are rather coarse stones which is a good thing.
In my view, I think they are more of a promotional item than a useful sharpening stone.
Mine is 3 7/8" x 3/4" x 1/4". I hope your stone is bigger. There's not much to work with here.
If you are interested in using stones to sharpen your knives I hope you will look for bigger stones.
Get some acreage under that blade so you can move it around and do some sharpening.
Get at least a 6 incher and not glued to anything. You can use both sides. Get coarse stones at first but don't turn down anything if you think you have a good deal. I'm talking used stones here.
Buy the largest one you can afford. Don't let an oily stone concern you. Wipe it down with a solvent.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

How much do you think I would have to pay to get one without operator error? :lol:
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

cudgee wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:40 pm
Leo H wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:53 pm This stone and sleeve was with some knives my grandfather kept.

Thank you!
If it is a double sided stone, it will have a course and fine on either side, i cannot tell you what the actual grits would be, they can be used as either oil or water. But if it has been used as an oil stone and you want to change to water, you will have to degrease it to remove as much of the oil as possible, or just clean it up and keep using oil. ::tu::
It’s only a single sided stone, there’s no color or texture difference from one side to the other.
I am understanding now that this was a promotional item, so, when I get to trying this out I’ll not worry about how I go about using it.
It sounds like I need to get a normal sized stone, at least.
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

FRJ wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:11 pm I have one of those. They are rather coarse stones which is a good thing.
Thank you.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Leo H wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:46 am

Thank you!
It’s only a single sided stone, there’s no color or texture difference from one side to the other.
I am understanding now that this was a promotional item, so, when I get to trying this out I’ll not worry about how I go about using it.
Probably more important, you have a piece of family history and a link to your Grandfather and the past. I would be keeping it packed together for sentimental value and a piece of your families history.
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

cudgee wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:56 am
Leo H wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:46 am
Probably more important, you have a piece of family history and a link to your Grandfather and the past. I would be keeping it packed together for sentimental value and a piece of your families history.
Agreed. And I know now to leave a little written note in wherever I store this items, with these questions answered for my grandkids. ::tu::
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

If you’re learning to free hand sharpen use a stone at least 6 inches long by 1-1/2 inches wide. Even bigger is better. IMHO many who try freehand sharpening and fail do so because they tried it with a stone too small. Then they give up, thinking there’s some magic to it that they can’t learn. ::dang:: Small stones are useful for those who already know how to use them. They’re handy for touch ups in the field, and not much else.

A fine grit stone is also typically harder to learn on than a courser grit stone, because it’s more difficult to see progress.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:04 am If you’re learning to free hand sharpen use a stone at least 6 inches long by 1-1/2 inches wide. Even bigger is better. IMHO many who try freehand sharpening and fail do so because they tried it with a stone too small. Then they give up thinking there’s some magic to it that they can’t learn. ::dang:: Small stones are useful for those who already know how to use them. They’re handy for touch ups in the field, and not much else.

A fine grit stone is also typically harder to learn on than a courser grit stone, because it’s more difficult to see progress.

Ken
Understood. Would you consider a grit under 1000 coarse, or under 400, or ???
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

400 is course, 1000 is fine. You can find lower than 400 and finer than 1000.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:23 am 400 is course, 1000 is fine. You can find lower than 400 and finer than 1000.

Ken
I'll be picking up one of these this afternoon. I don't know if posting a wider link to this ad is acceptable:

https://reno.craigslist.org/spo/d/reno- ... 43824.html
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Leo H wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:10 pm
Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:23 am 400 is course, 1000 is fine. You can find lower than 400 and finer than 1000.

Ken
I'll be picking up one of these this afternoon. I don't know if posting a wider link to this ad is acceptable:

https://reno.craigslist.org/spo/d/reno- ... 43824.html
Don't want to tell you what to do or how to spend your money, it is none of my business, but if it was me, i would be looking at a larger stone, an 8x3 would be a lot better. Gives you a lot more space to get your angles correct and the feel of the stone. But that is just my opinion, when looking for sharpening stones, i always take my time and look around to get something that is what i really need. I fell into the old trap of buying sharpening equipment without putting enough thought and time into it, and have a heap of sharpening stuff i don't need or use. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

Well, I’ll see how soon I outgrow this one. The price was right, and I have a lot of practice to do. ::shrug::

I’ll keep your thought in mind on the next purchase.
Thanks!
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Leo H wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:24 pm Well, I’ll see how soon I outgrow this one. The price was right, and I have a lot of practice to do. ::shrug::

Thanks!
If you need any help just ask. ::tu:: Just take your time, get the feel of the stone, there is no rush, ask if you need advise or help, keep looking at some YouTube, there is a lot of rubbish and mis-truths on it, but a lot of good stuff too. There are 10 lessons in sharpening, all non-negotiable, lock them in and remember them. Practice, practice, practice, practice. Persistence, persistence, persistence. Patience, patience, patience. ::handshake::
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

Sounds like the plan.
StrawHat

Post by StrawHat »

Leo H wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:24 pm Well, I’ll see how soon I outgrow this one. The price was right, and I have a lot of practice to do. ::shrug::

Thanks!
Leo,

So, you’ve had this stone a few months. How has it worked out for you?

Kevin
Knowledge I take to the grave is wasted.

Return to “Sharpening Forum”