FINALLY!

A place to share, learn, & show off sharpening tips, tricks, techniques, & tools for sharpening edges of all kinds.
Working Edge

Re: FINALLY!

Post by Working Edge »

cudgee wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:46 am
Working Edge wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm Sharpening Supplies. Com sells a complete two-sided oilstone (U.S.A. made) kit, along with many other oilstones and water stones.

Here's a link:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Trad ... P1891.aspx

You can't go wrong with this particular double-sided stone, if you could own only one stone, this one would serve you very well.

Just as an aside, I am moving away from using oil on my oilstones, and moving towards using water instead, but that's another discussion...

Hope this helps..!
Mark
You have been holding out long enough ::mdm:: " but that's another discussion ", why the shift from oil to water? Water with a dash of detergent :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: . Time to start the discussion. ::tu:: ::nod::
Right you are, cudgee...!

The reason I switched from oil to water, honestly not that I had anything against oil, is that water is so much easier to clean up, and is so very plentiful and available, compared to oil.
As you have observed, a bit of dish detergent in the water floats away steel swarf just as effectively as oil ever does.
After having clung to the tradition of sharpening with oil, I finally found that water on my Arkansas stones allows me to more easily feel the cutting action of stone on steel, especially on the hard Arkansas and black hard Arkansas stones.
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

philco wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:41 am Here's an inexpensive solution to your search. The Smith's Tri-Hone has two Arkansas stones (hard and medium) along with a man made coarse stone. I've had one for years and love it. Below is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-Arkansas- ... 3239178069
Phil,
Allow me to point out an error in Amazon's description of the Smith's Tri-Hone, in that the Smith's Tri-Hone has one Arkansas stone, (soft Arkansas, ) rather than two.
The three stones are a coarse Silicon Carbide, a medium Aluminum Oxide, and the Soft Arkansas as the fine.
Here is a link to the product page on Smith's own website:
https://smithsproducts.com/6-inch-three ... ing-system

I have one of these Smith's Tri-Hones, and it is indeed a wonderful sharpening tool. If you take the time to screw the base unit down to a piece of wood, (screw holes are provided, ) the Tri-Hone becomes a first-rate portable sharpening solution for hunting, fishing and outdoor knives in base camp, on a truck tailgate or even on the ground or a tree stump.

I hope this helps..!
Mark
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Working Edge wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:35 pm
cudgee wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:46 am
Working Edge wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:38 pm Sharpening Supplies. Com sells a complete two-sided oilstone (U.S.A. made) kit, along with many other oilstones and water stones.

Here's a link:

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Trad ... P1891.aspx

You can't go wrong with this particular double-sided stone, if you could own only one stone, this one would serve you very well.

Just as an aside, I am moving away from using oil on my oilstones, and moving towards using water instead, but that's another discussion...

Hope this helps..!
Mark
You have been holding out long enough ::mdm:: " but that's another discussion ", why the shift from oil to water? Water with a dash of detergent :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: . Time to start the discussion. ::tu:: ::nod::
Right you are, cudgee...!

The reason I switched from oil to water, honestly not that I had anything against oil, is that water is so much easier to clean up, and is so very plentiful and available, compared to oil.
As you have observed, a bit of dish detergent in the water floats away steel swarf just as effectively as oil ever does.
After having clung to the tradition of sharpening with oil, I finally found that water on my Arkansas stones allows me to more easily feel the cutting action of stone on steel, especially on the hard Arkansas and black hard Arkansas stones.
Mark
Thanks, i am always interested in other peoples opinions, methods and explanations of how and why they do all things sharpening. You are correct though about sometimes not getting the feel of the stone working using oil, especially on the very fine grits. I used to use mineral oil cut back with mineral spirits, makes a huge difference, and a real old Bushy mate of mine who is virtually self sufficient and very smart and creative, he uses a product called inox, it is the Australian version of WD-40 but is a bit more viscous. He has been using that for years, his reason, exactly what you said, it is lighter than oil and you can feel the stone working, he swears by it. :)
Working Edge

Post by Working Edge »

::tu:: ::handshake::
Praise the Lord,
Pass the ammunition
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

If I may comment on the concept that each of you has alluded to in your recent post; that is, feeling the cutting action of the stone.

In my experience, the reason you don't feel the cutting action is because the blade is gliding over a lubricated surface.
This is obvious I know but it is not often considered a detriment to the cutting of the blade steel. When we sharpen we want the stone to cut and abrade the knife edge. A lubricant impedes that process. I think almost any petroleum product does to some degree.
Water, of course, offers no lubrication at all and simply washes away unwanted particles from the process of sharpening leaving a clean cutting environment for the stone to do its work.
The idea of using oil on stones probably started when stones were first introduced way back when. It was passed on through generations. To some people using water may seem pretty radical. Its quite effective.
Joe
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

FRJ wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:29 am If I may comment on the concept that each of you has alluded to in your recent post; that is, feeling the cutting action of the stone.

In my experience, the reason you don't feel the cutting action is because the blade is gliding over a lubricated surface.
This is obvious I know but it is not often considered a detriment to the cutting of the blade steel. When we sharpen we want the stone to cut and abrade the knife edge. A lubricant impedes that process. I think almost any petroleum product does to some degree.
Water, of course, offers no lubrication at all and simply washes away unwanted particles from the process of sharpening leaving a clean cutting environment for the stone to do its work.
The idea of using oil on stones probably started when stones were first introduced way back when. It was passed on through generations. To some people using water may seem pretty radical. Its quite effective.
All very valid points, as i stated earlier i love hearing other members views on all things sharpening, i am always open to new ideas, and these threads are where you get to hear them. I moved to water a fair while ago, but i can still see the merit in those that use oil. The type of oil is the key, as you said the blade gliding over a lubricated surface and you lose that feel and the sound, sound is a great aid as you sharpen along the bevel. I used to use oil diluted with mineral spirits, so the blade did not just glide and you could still hear the stone doing it's work. But it all comes down to personal choice and what works for you, i personally believe there is a place for both. Have a peaceful Memorial Day. ::handshake::

Return to “Sharpening Forum”